Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

11 hours ago, Marj said:

I guess it depends what variant you catch, your health , genetics etc…

We´re playing russian roulette. 

That's an awfully serious analogy for taking a vaccine that will either give you no side effects or a couple of days of fever and malaise, while the alternative is a dramatical increase in likelihood of dying from Covid-19. 

11 hours ago, Marj said:

I just really really hope that those vaccines are not about money…

Don't for a second doubt that for the pharmaceutical industry this is about money. But the science is clear: The vaccines work. And it isn't the pharma industry who recommend you to get vaccinated, that is health experts and politicians based on the science and their cost-benefit analysis. 

11 hours ago, Marj said:

Now like for all medecines we should make the balance risk-benefit. Maybe like antibiotics , using them wisely makes more sense. 

Considering that the vaccines are perfectly safe and greatly reduce severe symptoms from Covid-19, I see little reason to question the experts' recommendation that people should get vaccinated. 

It is difficult to compare the use of antibiotics and the use of vaccines, because there are so many differences in how we use them and modes of action, but generally speaking we don't run into the same issue of overusing antibiotics to the point of bacteria evolving resistance to all available antibiotics,with vaccines. Sure, viruses evolve to evade vaccines, too, which is one of the reasons we see all these new strains of SARS-CoV-2, but the consequences of not vaccinated is more severe than reducing non-pharmaceutical use of antibiotics or reducing its use when alternative treatments are equally efficient, but even if they evolve we won't run out of vaccines anytime soon, we can continue to develop new vaccines again and again with little fear of running out of them. 

45 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's an awfully serious analogy for taking a vaccine that will either give you no side effects or a couple of days of fever and malaise, while the alternative is a dramatical increase in likelihood of dying from Covid-19. 

Oh no, I meant catching covid19 is like playing russian roulette. 😅 

Damn I really wish my english was better…

Now for the no side effects of vaccines I’d wait for thorough studies. As it increases inflammation, it can make wierd things for no explanable (yet) reasons.

It can mess up with periods for exemple. I know it’s still better than dying of covid19. IMy mom was reeeeally scared when she had her period at over 70. 

10 minutes ago, Marj said:

Oh no, I meant catching covid19 is like playing russian roulette. 😅 

Damn I really wish my english was better…

Now for the no side effects of vaccines I’d wait for thorough studies. As it increases inflammation, it can make wierd things for no explanable (yet) reasons.

It can mess up with periods for exemple. I know it’s still better than dying of covid19. IMy mom was reeeeally scared when she had her period at over 70. 

Ah, yes, Covid-19 is unpredictable. 

No, your English is good, I just misunderstood :)

There has been plenty of studies on the side effects of Covid-19 vaccines, including the original clinical trials studies. Only minimal side effects have been discovered. And then it has been administered in billion of doses. Any unknown side effects are either extremely rare or with a very delayed effect, and the latter has also been investigated. Don't get me wrong, there will definitely be discovered new side effects, and which may even be fatal for very small subsets of the population, but it is proven beyond doubt that vaccines are safer than the disease. 

42 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Considering that the vaccines are perfectly safe and greatly reduce severe symptoms from Covid-19, I see little reason to question the experts' recommendation that people should get vaccinated. 

It is difficult to compare the use of antibiotics and the use of vaccines, because there are so many differences in how we use them and modes of action, but generally speaking we don't run into the same issue of overusing antibiotics to the point of bacteria evolving resistance to all available antibiotics,with vaccines. Sure, viruses evolve to evade vaccines, too, which is one of the reasons we see all these new strains of SARS-CoV-2, but the consequences of not vaccinated is more severe than reducing non-pharmaceutical use of antibiotics or reducing its use when alternative treatments are equally efficient, but even if they evolve we won't run out of vaccines anytime soon, we can continue to develop new vaccines again and again with little fear of running out of them. 

I know someone (he ´s an « old school » genetician) He strongly believes that the RNA vaccines problem is that it only targets one specific protein/antigen on the virus. It only « kills » one variant so it’s a never ending story of mutation….new vaccine etc… 

Well I don’t have the answer to that question(how to end the pandemie) …nobody does actually. 

I did get vaccinated. I just wonder whether it’s the only option. 

1 minute ago, Marj said:

I know someone (he ´s an « old school » genetician) He strongly believes that the RNA vaccines problem is that it only targets one specific protein/antigen on the virus. It only « kills » one variant so it’s a never ending story of mutation….new vaccine etc… 

Well I don’t have the answer to that question(how to end the pandemie) …nobody does actually. 

I did get vaccinated. I just wonder whether it’s the only option. 

Many vaccines only target one epitope. It does not have to be a problem. It has been speculated that it might cause the vaccines to wear off quicker. We will have to see. 

But it will be a neverending story of the virus evolving into new shapes, including because:

- The vaccines don't perfectly prevent spread of the disease 

- Too few people get vaccinated globally 

- The virus exists in animals too and will evolve there before infecting humans again. 

So Covid-19 has become a fixed aspect of humanity, like the flu and the cold. Fortunately, we will develop better medicines and evolve to withstand it. 

• Like 1

Numbers are up in Texas but nothing has been said about masks back on kids in schools or anywhere else. I still wear a mask when I go out and in stores. 

Since even people like me who are vaccinated and boostered too are getting the new variant I want to be safe especially for my kid. I hope the schools do all they can to keep our kids safe, but in Texas some parents don't get their kids vaccinated for any reason and they are still allowed to go to school and you don't know which kids are vaccinated or not?  Just nuts.

Abbott won't make any changes now because of the election in November. We are all doomed here. Wish I could move the fuck out.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:22 PM, Marj said:

Amen 😁

yeah, but eventually there will more be viruses and it will begin all over again. I doubt Humans will ever get ahead of these infections. It's nature and nature is pissed.

Wow, poor President Biden has covid. He did a press conference from his home today and he's doing great. Thank goodness.

This virus is super sneaky and seems to be always ahead of everyone and everything.

Got to take care of yourself. Still wearing a mask. You just don't know who is vaccinated and who isn't.  Since Gov. Abbott, the moron, said no masks, no one is wearing one now.

• Haha 1

Other politicians have come down with covid too. Seems that new variant is very contagious.

School begins here in Texas on August 8. I'm not sure if they will require masks since the moron Abbott said you don' t need them.  Who knows who is vaccinated and who isn't. Texas won't ask. I do hope my child stays well.  It's hard enough starting middle school and then have to worry about covid.  It never seems to end.

19 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

And yet the world seems to keep turning.

Pretty sure one day it won't. then the earth can heal and begin again without humans who have done nothing but fuck up our planet for centuries. There's no going back.

More viruses and God knows what else. Oh year, Russia and Iran and China and North Korea.  One day one of them will use nuclear weapons and that'll be it.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

School begins here in Texas on August 8. I'm not sure if they will require masks since the moron Abbott said you don' t need them.  Who knows who is vaccinated and who isn't. Texas won't ask. I do hope my child stays well.  It's hard enough starting middle school and then have to worry about covid.  It never seems to end.

You should probably keep your kid home then if it's such an important issue for you. Vaccinated people are still getting the virus left and right, and the vaccines don't seem to do shit against new variants. New variants which seem to wreak such havoc as mild cough, fever....and that's about it. You are free to self impose a lockdown on your family, the rest of the world decided it was enough of this shit and get on with their lives.

Edited by AxlisOld
  • Like 2

Seth Meyers has covid.  Stopped filming his tv show for now.

Hopefully he is vaccinated and will be okay.

21 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

You should probably keep your kid home then if it's such an important issue for you. Vaccinated people are still getting the virus left and right, and the vaccines don't seem to do shit against new variants. New variants which seem to wreak such havoc as mild cough, fever....and that's about it. You are free to self impose a lockdown on your family, the rest of the world decided it was enough of this shit and get on with their lives.

No my child will go to school since she's in middle school now and I'm not a teacher. I will get her the booster and hope for the best. School is very important and she will have 8 different classes now.  I'm not qualified to each her, so she needs to be in school. I just want her safe and healthy, but she needs to be in school.

15 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

This is of course wrong. The vaccines offers protection against severe symptoms caused by the virus variants, too.

Pretty easy to say that when the variants don't cause severe symptoms. But you enjoy being terrified forever.

3 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

Pretty easy to say that when the variants don't cause severe symptoms. But you enjoy being terrified forever.

Except that they do, of course, which is why people die from the variants. 

And I have never been terrified because of this disease. 

Edited by SoulMonster

On 7/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Other politicians have come down with covid too. Seems that new variant is very contagious.

This BA.5 is hella contagious....we have now had 4 teachers get Covid in the past 3 weeks. The most in the shortest amount of time than during this ENTIRE pandemic.  It ain't fuckin around.

6 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Susceptible people die from a lot of diseases that aren't a concern to most.

I think a contagious disease with such a high lethality is a concern to all of us. Even if we are unlikely to die from the disease ourselves, we probably know someone who could and none of us wants to be part of spreading the disease the someone who dies from it. That doesn't mean we should be terrified about it, as you said something about earlier, just that we take measures to protect ourselves and others, as good human beings do. 

• Like 4

I wonder what, if any data is out there regarding fatalities of people infected with COVID a second time vs their first time.

At this point, most, if not all of us know someone who has died from it. A former co-worker, who I was fairly close to was vaccinated (not sure which one, also not sure if she was boosted) one of the last things her daughter posted on social media on her behalf (when she was seemingly getting better) was that getting vaxed saved her life, as she was hospitalized for weeks. She passed away a few days later. :(

Edited by Sweersa