11/05/22 - Saitama, JP - Saitama Super Arena

alfierose

14 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

This is why it would be e a difficult choice. I don't think Axl is the right singer for GnR material, at least not at this stage. There is a pro shot performance of SCOM on their official channel and it's absolutely awful. He knew this was going to be proshot and that was the best he could do? He is of course the perfect frontman for the band and there are other ways to be a good performer while sounding good. auto-tune and lip sync come to mind but obviously no one wants that (although I doubt most people going to the shows would care honestly). He needs to change something tho: different songs from the GnR catalogue could work, maybe tour less, maybe shorter shows? I hope he finds a solution because -and it pains me to say this about my favorite vocalist- right now his performance is just sad.

Here is the video I am referencing:

The only positive comments are those of Latin American fans and we know they don't care about the vocals.

im one of those latin american fans and i fucking care a lot lol, but i don t bicth in the yt comments bc i support axl in this one, he really can t this time and he s doing it at 60s so i respect but is sad sometimes

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I do get your point and of course Axl is out there front and centre on the big stages still….my point was more that using Plant as an example- you can change the approach and sound great if you wanted to.

Of course…if Axls voice is beyond repair and surgery is a no-go then (as has been mentioned a million times already) I don’t see why the don’t play tunes from their catalogue which naturally suit the lower voice like Bad Obsession…The Garden…etc?

Some stuff still hits the mark…that Jungle was dreadful though. That said - if they ever reschedule that Glasgow gig I’ll absolutely be there.

but how many people want to hear Axl sing Bad Obsession and The Garden, how many casuals? what is the target demographic here. Maybe the goal, like many other bands, is to hit the sweet spot between making casuals and hardcore fans happy and the less demanding Gn'R tunes are not always the most popular. 

it's not enough that the song fits Axl's vocal ability, it should also serve the show in other factors imo as I've mentioned already in this post.

I think Axl has already changed his approach a long time ago to preserve his voice and adapt to limitations that come with his older age, it's just that maybe some people don't really like how he sounds and I can understand that, but I think that he's making adjustments all the time but maybe trying to keep as much of the core of it vocally as possible so it's still sounds as close as possible to what it was before and again, I prefer that over a complete 180 in approach.

Edited by Rovim

35 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but how many people want to hear Axl sing Bad Obsession and The Garden, how many casuals? what is the target demographic here. Maybe the goal, like many other bands, is to hit the sweet spot between making casuals and hardcore fans happy and the less demanding Gn'R tunes are not always the most popular. 

it's not enough that the song fits Axl's vocal ability, it should also serve the show in other factors imo as I've mentioned already in this post.

I think Axl has already changed his approach a long time ago to preserve his voice and adapt to limitations that come with his older age, it's just that maybe some people don't really like how he sounds and I can understand that, but I think that he's making adjustments all the time but maybe trying to keep as much of the core of it vocally as possible so it's still sounds as close as possible to what it was before and again, I prefer that over a complete 180 in approach.

Well - I would! TBH - GNR could play their hits and supplement them with literally ANY other songs…The Garden, Better or whatever and I’d wager concert goers would be happy because they got to hear ‘NR/SCOM/WTTJ’ etc. even with the current vocal approach. I’m at the stage where I’d be happy to hear Reckless Life etc instead!

Ultimately they will do what they want and they are clearly happy with what they are playing/producing and general fans are happy enough. As someone who probably falls into the more serious fan as opposed to a ‘general’….it’s frustrating to see/hear when you know there are things you could do to improve stuff even more….even if it’s to throw a bone to the ‘hardcore’ fans who attend.

10 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Well - I would! TBH - GNR could play their hits and supplement them with literally ANY other songs…The Garden, Better or whatever and I’d wager concert goers would be happy because they got to hear ‘NR/SCOM/WTTJ’ etc. even with the current vocal approach. I’m at the stage where I’d be happy to hear Reckless Life etc instead!

Ultimately they will do what they want and they are clearly happy with what they are playing/producing and general fans are happy enough. As someone who probably falls into the more serious fan as opposed to a ‘general’….it’s frustrating to see/hear when you know there are things you could do to improve stuff even more….even if it’s to throw a bone to the ‘hardcore’ fans who attend.

The Garden is one of my favorite Gn'R tunes, would love it if Gn'R brought it back from the dead. (and with Alice Cooper as a guest with Johnny Depp miming the music video on stage during the performance, but I think that because Gn'R is a commercial band and Axl has introduced some old favorites and some surprises it's good enough for me. Reckless Life, Slither, Coma, and some cool covers plus Absurd and HS. Could be better, I agree but that is usually the case with Gn'R as I see it.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I also think that if GN'R were to put in songs that would match Axl's lower voice, casual fans at the concert would talk about how bad Axl sounds and that he was much better the last time they heard him. Just because now they haven't played for example some hits like YCBM or Rocket Queen and they are not used to Axl's low voice.

Edited by We love Axl Rose

3 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

I also think that if GN'R were to put in songs that would match Axl's lower voice, casual fans at the concert would talk about how bad Axl sounds and that he was much better the last time they heard him. Just because now they haven't played for example some hits like YCBM or Rocket Queen and they are not used to Axl's low voice.

I speculate that Axl will see it as giving up which is why it won't happen unless the choice is to go low or go home. Not there yet.

2 hours ago, darkside259 said:

im one of those latin american fans and i fucking care a lot lol, but i don t bicth in the yt comments bc i support axl in this one, he really can t this time and he s doing it at 60s so i respect but is sad sometimes

It was wrong of me to generalize about Latin American fans, but I also want to say that I have nothing against the people who don't care about the vocals as much or people who, like you, who are supportive regardless of vocal performance. Having a good time is all that counts in the end! And let's not forget the people who go to hear Slash play and people who focus more on the instrumental parts of the songs (I actually hope we get more varied setlists for this very reason; I'd love to hear the bands take on, say, Right next door to hell or the Garden).

• GNFNR 1

Just now, Sonic Reducer said:

It was wrong of me to generalize about Latin American fans, but I also want to say that I have nothing against the people who don't care about the vocals as much or people who, like you, who are supportive regardless of vocal performance. Having a good time is all that counts in the end! And let's not forget the people who go to hear Slash play and people who focus more on the instrumental parts of the songs (I actually hope we get more varied setlists for this very reason; I'd love to hear the bands take on, say, Right next door to hell or the Garden).

the garden could be a perfect match with the axl current voice

• 4 weeks later...