11/05/22 - Saitama, JP - Saitama Super Arena

alfierose

On 11/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, DustNBones1990 said:

So I’m not the only one who’s been thinking of that comparison… 😢 

I've thought this when he started rocking the shorter hair in 2019. His hair looks bad longer because it's a tangled mess and completely different than his heyday. The short hair would look a bit better with some facial hair honestly.

18 minutes ago, mystery said:

I've thought this when he started rocking the shorter hair in 2019. His hair looks bad longer because it's a tangled mess and completely different than his heyday. The short hair would look a bit better with some facial hair honestly.

A beard would def hide the plastic surgery, but whatever, who cares 

21 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

Hate to say it but it was a bit depressing watching videos from this one. Axl's voice just sounds exhausted.

Some of it was fine - Reckless Life still sounds great. Stuff like Jungle didn’t sound good unfortunately….he is stuck in that ‘go low or go high’ and the high stuff on this one doesn’t sound good. I’d rather he went low - would sound menacing and sleazy which is what the song is about?!

Edited by DTJ80

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Some of it was fine - Reckless Life still sounds great. Stuff like Jungle didn’t sound good unfortunately….he is stuck in that ‘go low or go high’ and the high stuff on this one doesn’t sound good. I’d rather he went low - would sound menacing and sleazy which is what the song is about?!

It's like his mid range is bust. I think this is why he was actually great with AC/DC since the vocals are always pretty high most of the time. Whereas GnR songs are more varied pitch-wise. Tbh I can't imagine that the touring is helping with the vocal situation at all. Maybe it's time to take a break, get a coach and take it easy... Maybe do less live shows. On the other hand I think that maybe Axl and the band really like touring. 3 hour shows, so many cities. I doubt he's doing it for the money honestly.

2 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

It's like his mid range is bust. I think this is why he was actually great with AC/DC since the vocals are always pretty high most of the time. Whereas GnR songs are more varied pitch-wise. Tbh I can't imagine that the touring is helping with the vocal situation at all. Maybe it's time to take a break, get a coach and take it easy... Maybe do less live shows. On the other hand I think that maybe Axl and the band really like touring. 3 hour shows, so many cities. I doubt he's doing it for the money honestly.

Yeah - it’s fair to say the mid range is long gone. Maybe in a studio environment in short bursts but consistently live…nah. Even the higher stuff - in AC/DC there was power in those notes but often now it’s a whispy thin sound.

It’s why I wished he just reverted to mostly lower as he still has real power there. As you say - probably has more cash than he knows what to do with. Maybe it’s a case of ‘making up for lost time’ with Slash N Duff? Maybe he just loves performing?

After the Aussie gigs….I’d prefer much fewer gigs if it meant he could push it more with longer rest periods.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

Axl had a break due to pandemic from March 2020 to the end of July 2021 and he sounded the worst in his life. Taking a break didn't help. 

7 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Not one I’d seen before. Looked like Octopus and Sharks or something then a samurai version of the logo with the different locations changing.

Yeah, I guess it is a shark head and not a turtle.  Must be a specific video for this leg then.

Maybe it's time to accept that he just sorta sucks now? He's been pretty hit or miss since his first reappearance in 2001 (?). He's had a few periods of glory (2006 was peak vocal performance on par with the old days, in my opinion) but there's been a definite decline overall. Welcome to the jungle isn't a song written for a 60 yr old to sing. Robert Plant had the right idea but reinventing yourself is not easy or something someone would necessarily want. Maybe he should ask Against Me! for tips.

Edited by Sonic Reducer

9 hours ago, darkside259 said:

somone from the forum explain that the surgery is something xtrem but idk

The surgery is a gamble…think it’s something to do with injections into the vocal cord’s to increase blood flow. I think it’s actually referred to as a voice lift!

7 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

Maybe it's time to accept that he just sorta sucks now? He's been pretty hit or miss since his first reappearance in 2001 (?). He's had a few periods of glory (2006 was peak vocal performance on par with the old days, in my opinion) but there's been a definite decline overall. Welcome to the jungle isn't a song written for a 60 yr old to sing. Robert Plant had the right idea but reinventing yourself is not easy or something someone would necessarily want. Maybe he should ask Against Me! for tips.

Yup - Plant made the right changes at the right time and it was absolutely the right call. I wish Axl would do the same - just go hell for leather with the lower voice and use the higher one sparingly.

24 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yup - Plant made the right changes at the right time and it was absolutely the right call. I wish Axl would do the same - just go hell for leather with the lower voice and use the higher one sparingly.

but Plant doesn't do Zeppelin tunes. Axl must perform Gn'R material. When you go solo, especially if you drastically change your style and it happens to be less challenging to pull off live, it's much easier conditions and there is no demand or virtually no comparison to how you've performed when you were vocally stronger.

Gn'R with lower voice won't work on a lot of the tunes imo. It might for a lot of hardcore fans, but not sure how interested a lot of Gn'R fans are in mostly just low singing or how interested Axl is in changing his singing approach to that. At least not yet.

I'll take how he sounds currently on a strong night (those are still a thing imo) over a drastic change.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

but Plant doesn't do Zeppelin tunes. Axl must perform Gn'R material. When you go solo, especially if you drastically change your style and it happens to be less challenging to pull off live, it's much easier conditions and there is no demand or virtually no comparison to how you've performed when you were vocally stronger.

Gn'R with lower voice won't work on a lot of the tunes imo. It might for a lot of hardcore fans, but not sure how interested a lot of Gn'R fans are in mostly just low singing or how interested Axl is in changing his singing approach to that. At least not yet.

I'll take how he sounds currently on a strong night (those are still a thing imo) over a drastic change.

When I saw Plant he did quite a few Zep song….5 actually and that included Whole Lotta Love!

Edited by DTJ80

4 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

When I saw Plant he did quite a few Zep song….5 actually and that included Whole Lotta Love!

that's cool, I didn't know that cause I'm not really into his solo thing but I think my point is that there are certain expectations from a singer like Axl in a band like Gn'R, and I don't think Axl is at a point in his life yet where he needs to make drastic adjustments to his singing approach (not trying to hit most of the high notes like on the records)

it's not the focus of Plant's show. I think a lot of fans expect a specific type of performance from Axl and even if some of the shows are weaker vocally compared to even 2017, personally I prefer what we have now to what some people here are suggesting. I don't think it will sound like Gn'R tbh. Civil War in the low voice doesn't sound like Civil War without the high screams, it sounds like someone is trying to imitate Axl, at least in some of his attempts at the shows where he was limited physically.

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

that's cool, I didn't know that cause I'm not really into his solo thing but I think my point is that there are certain expectations from a singer like Axl in a band like Gn'R, and I don't think Axl is at a point in his life yet where he needs to make drastic adjustments to his singing approach (not trying to hit most of the high notes like on the records)

it's not the focus of Plant's show. I think a lot of fans expect a specific type of performance from Axl and even if some of the shows are weaker vocally compared to even 2017, personally I prefer what we have now to what some people here are suggesting. I don't think it will sound like Gn'R tbh. Civil War in the low voice doesn't sound like Civil War without the high screams, it sounds like someone is trying to imitate Axl, at least in some of his attempts at the shows where he was limited physically.

I do get your point and of course Axl is out there front and centre on the big stages still….my point was more that using Plant as an example- you can change the approach and sound great if you wanted to.

Of course…if Axls voice is beyond repair and surgery is a no-go then (as has been mentioned a million times already) I don’t see why the don’t play tunes from their catalogue which naturally suit the lower voice like Bad Obsession…The Garden…etc?

Some stuff still hits the mark…that Jungle was dreadful though. That said - if they ever reschedule that Glasgow gig I’ll absolutely be there.

Edited by DTJ80

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

This is why it would be e a difficult choice. I don't think Axl is the right singer for GnR material, at least not at this stage. There is a pro shot performance of SCOM on their official channel and it's absolutely awful. He knew this was going to be proshot and that was the best he could do? He is of course the perfect frontman for the band and there are other ways to be a good performer while sounding good. auto-tune and lip sync come to mind but obviously no one wants that (although I doubt most people going to the shows would care honestly). He needs to change something tho: different songs from the GnR catalogue could work, maybe tour less, maybe shorter shows? I hope he finds a solution because -and it pains me to say this about my favorite vocalist- right now his performance is just sad.

Here is the video I am referencing:

The only positive comments are those of Latin American fans and we know they don't care about the vocals.

Edited by Sonic Reducer