Axl getting flack for sounding like Mickey Mouse? 🤔

3 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I dislike the Mickey voice. Just doesnt sound rock n roll. I wont even try to pretend it is good or that I find it ok.

I am just there to see Slash play GN’R songs!!!

But Mickey's voice is cool and iconic! 😀

4 hours ago, Nintari said:

Yes, but Mickey Mouse never told Mick Wall to suck his dick, or sang about wanting to bury Minnie in the backyard because she was bitching too much.

You never seen Mickey with a few drinks in him. Mean Drunk. He’d headbutt a statue for looking at him wrong. There was also that rumour he did time for murder before he got into the cartoons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Karice said:

He doesn't really scream at the end of It's So Easy. He sings in a slightly higher pitch than most of the song where he sings in an extremely low and deep voice and sounds more like James Hetfield from Metallica, but it's far from screaming. He screams in Right Next Door To Hell, but It's So Easy isn't really screaming. 

You're wrong. He is pretty much giving it his all at the end of ISE.. Either way, he sounds good. Unlike the mid-range Mickey voice. 

5 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

You never seen Mickey with a few drinks in him. Mean Drunk. He’d headbutt a statue for looking at him wrong. There was also that rumour he did time for murder before he got into the cartoons. 

never mind what he does in the South Park Covid specials lol

On 9/18/2022 at 6:05 AM, Hollyangel said:

I don't get the Mickey mouse thing.  If you pay to go and see GNR now, hey just enjoy what they have to offer.  Ya know it could be hit and miss, all the whining about Axl's voice is annoying.  If you think that you might be disappointed just don't go lol.  Micky mouse, seriously! what a load of shite.

'Hit and miss'- that's what people want to hear when they're paying hundreds of dollars for a concert. 

If it's shit.... it's your fault for buying a ticket. Unless you went thinking it might be, you know, good. 

Can't say I've bought too many tickets to see bands thinking 'yeah, this might be good, it might be not' personallly! I tend to want to go out and see bands I think will be good. 

• Like 1

Mickey isn't the Front man of a world famous Rock Band.

Mickey is 94 years old (And doesn't look a day over 20) my God, what good genes! 😏and not 60.

Mickey doesn't have Slash, Duff, Melissa,Frank, Richard, Dizzy as Co-workers and Friends. 

Mickey's name isn't spelled Axl. 

🤣

40 minutes ago, Karice said:

Mickey isn't the Front man of a world famous Rock Band.

Mickey is 94 years old (And doesn't look a day over 20) my God, what good genes! 😏and not 60.

Mickey doesn't have Slash, Duff, Melissa,Frank, Richard, Dizzy as Co-workers and Friends. 

Mickey's name isn't spelled Axl. 

🤣

And your point was? 

On 12/8/2022 at 4:08 PM, allwaystired said:

'Hit and miss'- that's what people want to hear when they're paying hundreds of dollars for a concert. 

If it's shit.... it's your fault for buying a ticket. Unless you went thinking it might be, you know, good. 

Can't say I've bought too many tickets to see bands thinking 'yeah, this might be good, it might be not' personallly! I tend to want to go out and see bands I think will be good. 

Well you can read the reviews and make a choice.  Can't say you are not forewarned.  If you know that you don't like this Micky Mouse voice that people are saying there is a high chance of you hearing, then don't buy a ticket, pretty simple as far as I am concerned.  Spend it on another band.   At least you know these days Axl is going to turn up on time and play for 3 hours, even if he doesn't sound like he did 30 odd years ago, that is one less risk when buying a Gunners ticket.    

2 hours ago, Hollyangel said:

Well you can read the reviews and make a choice.  Can't say you are not forewarned.  If you know that you don't like this Micky Mouse voice that people are saying there is a high chance of you hearing, then don't buy a ticket, pretty simple as far as I am concerned.  Spend it on another band.   At least you know these days Axl is going to turn up on time and play for 3 hours, even if he doesn't sound like he did 30 odd years ago, that is one less risk when buying a Gunners ticket.    

Oh don't worry, I'm aware. 

To criticize people who go along to a concert for complaining if they spend hundreds of dollars on a 'miss' night is absolutely ridiculous. 

For the price they are charging there should be no 'miss' nights. Some of the early shows of the tours have been disgraceful as people shell out to watch a rehearsal. People who attend shows like Berlin have every right to express their annoyance that the show isn't good. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh don't worry, I'm aware. 

To criticize people who go along to a concert for complaining if they spend hundreds of dollars on a 'miss' night is absolutely ridiculous. 

For the price they are charging there should be no 'miss' nights. Some of the early shows of the tours have been disgraceful as people shell out to watch a rehearsal. People who attend shows like Berlin have every right to express their annoyance that the show isn't good. 

Fair enough in specific situations, but to keep banging on about Axl and his Micky mouse voice and how he is the weakest link, I find ridiculous.  People seem to expect the band to perform as they did a lifetime ago.  At 60 things change and usually not for the better.   Anyway that is my opinion and it is not going to change.  As much as I love the Gunners I am not that I would be rushing out for a ticket these days anyways, maybe, maybe not.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hollyangel said:

Fair enough in specific situations, but to keep banging on about Axl and his Micky mouse voice and how he is the weakest link, I find ridiculous.  People seem to expect the band to perform as they did a lifetime ago.  At 60 things change and usually not for the better.   Anyway that is my opinion and it is not going to change.  As much as I love the Gunners I am not that I would be rushing out for a ticket these days anyways, maybe, maybe not.  

To be honest, his voice doesn't bother me that much, but if it bothers others, that's fair enough. It's the stale setlist, lack of change and expensive tickets that mean I pass on seeing them live now. That makes me sad, but it is what it is.  

I get what you're saying- expecting them to be as they were is daft. That goes for all bands really. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hollyangel said:

Literally nobody here expects them to perform like they did decades ago. But it would help if Axl didn't use the first several shows of each tour as a rehearsal, and replaced songs that sound particularly bad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I get what you're saying- expecting them to be as they were is daft. That goes for all bands really. 

It depends on the band. I saw GnR and Maiden in 92. Bruce still sounds great because the material still works for him. He never forced anything in his singing the way Axl did in his. Saw Neil Young in 93 and he still sounded like he did in the 60s, seen him in 2019 and he still sounded like he did in 90s. He wrote material he could play in his 70s and could also sing. 

Axl was an insane vocalist at his peak, but it had to burn out. There was so much intensity and shredding of vocal chords going on that it’s impossible to pull off in his 60s. 

Age isn’t shit when it comes to music, I saw Chuck Berry in his 80s, Buddy Guy in his 80s, BB King in his 80s, The Stones in their 70s, I could go on. Some of them were brilliant, age defying in most cases, but the material suited them. It ain’t the age, it’s the songs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

It depends on the band. I saw GnR and Maiden in 92. Bruce still sounds great because the material still works for him. He never forced anything in his singing the way Axl did in his. Saw Neil Young in 93 and he still sounded like he did in the 60s, seen him in 2019 and he still sounded like he did in 90s. He wrote material he could play in his 70s and could also sing. 

Axl was an insane vocalist at his peak, but it had to burn out. There was so much intensity and shredding of vocal chords going on that it’s impossible to pull off in his 60s. 

Age isn’t shit when it comes to music, I saw Chuck Berry in his 80s, Buddy Guy in his 80s, BB King in his 80s, The Stones in their 70s, I could go on. Some of them were brilliant, age defying in most cases, but the material suited them. It ain’t the age, it’s the songs.

depends on the genre and what it allows you to do, depends on the person as well but age is a pretty big factor in most cases when it comes to music imho. Especially for a singer with a very challenging catalog.

hard rock is not opera for example and a guitar player who mainly plays the guitar and also sings is not the same when the focus is on you mainly just as a singer.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:08 PM, allwaystired said:

Axl sounds good on most songs. Struggles with a few. But name another band who plays for three hours plus every night. They play all the hits, a good selection of deep cuts and some good covers.  Just saw them in Wellington NZ. They played for three and a half hours. I was impressed by how good Axl sounded at the end of the tour.

I've seen them in 93, 07, 17 and 22 last week. The last show was every bit as great as the others.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Some of the early shows of the tours have been disgraceful as people shell out to watch a rehearsal. 

It is absolutely disgraceful how they treat those first shows. Or Axl anyway.. I am pretty sure the rest of the band rehearses.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hollyangel said:

At 60 things change.

Yes, but not everyone loses their voice. At 60, Steven Tyler still sounded like Steven Tyler. Same with Brian Johnson of AC/DC. Being old is not an automatic excuse for a bad voice.

Having said that, I believe this is also somewhat of a physiological issue. If Axl's vocal cords are just shot, then they're shot, and a person should either accept it, or move on.  Bitching about something that can't change is pointless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nintari said:

Yes, but not everyone loses their voice. At 60, Steven Tyler still sounded like Steven Tyler. Same with Brian Johnson of AC/DC. Being old is not an automatic excuse for a bad voice.

Having said that, I believe this is also somewhat of a physiological issue. If Axl's vocal cords are just shot, then they're shot, and a person should either accept it, or move on.  Bitching about something that can't change is pointless.

True, but it doesn't help, especially if one of things you are known for is high energy on stage and entertaining the crowd.  Much harder to stay in top shape and vocal abilities also draw on diaphragm, lungs etc.  Anyway in Axl's particular style, music and physiology I don't think it has helped.  Although from all accounts on his recent tour down under and NZ he has put on a good show.   Bono from U2 has also struggled a bit in recent times with his voice, I saw them back in 2019 and I still enjoyed them but it was a very different show to their early concerts at their peak and the sound wasn't always the best.  Mick Jagger, well he is a bit of a freak lol.

1 hour ago, Hollyangel said:

True, but it doesn't help, especially if one of things you are known for is high energy on stage and entertaining the crowd.  Much harder to stay in top shape and vocal abilities also draw on diaphragm, lungs etc.  Anyway in Axl's particular style, music and physiology I don't think it has helped.  Although from all accounts on his recent tour down under and NZ he has put on a good show.   Bono from U2 has also struggled a bit in recent times with his voice, I saw them back in 2019 and I still enjoyed them but it was a very different show to their early concerts at their peak and the sound wasn't always the best.  Mick Jagger, well he is a bit of a freak lol.

The problem with Axl's voice is that it use to be so gritty and now it's (mostly) clean. Tyler's was gritty, and it stayed gritty. Brian Johnson, as well. Whereas Axl doesn't even sound like the same singer half the time. And when your identity is so rooted in your vocal style, that's going to be a problem for most people.

But I think Axl's issue is just damage. He blew it out too many times when he was younger, and now it's shot. There's nothing he can about it, other than singing differently. I've accepted that, and pretty much only listen to older stuff when he was young and it was still there. He had a hell of a voice... one of the best in rock history. It's a shame it's gone, but it's gone. People really need to come to terms with that. Axl has.