Your least favorite Guns N'Roses Album? (Pick only ONE)

My least favorite Guns N'Roses Album is Lies. I just don't like the Lies album and I only really  like two songs, Reckless Life and Move To The City. The Lies album as a whole is just off l, weird, lackluster, and bad to me. But it's forgiveable as it's just the Sophomore Album and lots of Sophomore Albums just aren't good albums. Generally the third album is when a Band, Musician, or Singer really hits their stride. For example, Janet Jackson's Debut(Janet Jackson) and her Sophomore Album (Dreamstreet) were both huge flops and she didn't hit her stride until her Junior Album, Control, which was a huge bit and generated about 6 big hits and really made sure she was here to stay. Her Senior Album,Rhythm Nation was an even bigger success.  Use Your Illusion Part 1 is actually GNR Junior Album, and Use Your Illusions Part 2 is their Senior Album. Use Your Illusions albums more than made up for the lackluster GNR Lies album. 😃

What about you? What is your single least favorite Guns N'Roses Album?🤔

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Karice said:

One In A Million is an awful song, definitely one of their worst songs ever. 

It's actually a nice song, but I can't stand the bigoted lyrics. I understand who Axl was at that point, a small town white boy shocked by L.A. and I know he has since changed. And that's great. Everyone deserves a chance to change. I'd never judge somebody for things they said in the past, I believe in forgiveness, call it Christian morality or whatever, but it's a value that I try to follow as much as I can. But still, I can't listen to that song.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

It's actually a nice song, but I can't stand the bigoted lyrics. I understand who Axl was at that point, a small town white boy shocked by L.A. and I know he has since changed. And that's great. Everyone deserves a chance to change. I'd never judge somebody for things they said in the past, I believe in forgiveness, call it Christian morality or whatever, but it's a value that I try to follow as much as I can. But still, I can't listen to that song.

I was remiss to not mention that musically, One In A Million sounds good, but the lyrics are awful. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

I'd have to say lies simply because of One In A Million and the fake live audience.

One In A Million is the reason why I like the record. It was the coolest song on the record before everyone decided that words do, in fact, break bones, and it's the coolest song now. Art isn't suppose to create a safe space. It's suppose to tell the truth about the world through the eyes of the artist... and what better example of that than One In A Million? That's what Axl saw and felt, and it's about as heartfelt as you can get. Perfect.

As far as the topic goes, I would say Live Era is by far my least favorite. Something about fake live albums just don't do it for me.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

CD for me.  

And I fucking love One in a Million.. Gotta be in my top 5 Gn'R songs

Must be a Masshole thing :lol:.  I absolutely love One in a Million as well.  When Lies came out, it was the acoustic stuff I was drawn to; loved Nice Boys, and still do. Reckless was meh, and Move to the City is a lousy song, plain and simple.  Patience, UTLH and Crazy were all excellent, but One In a Million was such an unexpected masterpiece.  Yes, the words were contraversial, but the song itself, the melodies, Axl's voice, the arrangement...just an unbelievable song.  Had he chosen to eliminate/replace a handful of words, i am sure it would have been a massive hit.  But no one- and rightfully so- could get past the lyrics, so a wonderful musical journey was eviserated and eventually wiped from the face of the earth.  That was the moment the tide started to turn against GN'R; until that point, they were everybody's darlings.

And CD has a couple of decent moments, but is easily my least favorite GN'R album.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I remember a poll I think a decade ago in here where ChiDem won the best GNR album. Like WTF...

Chinese Democracy shows how mature Axl had become in 21 years, he sounds like a mature middle aged man in his 40's, rather than some angsty, rebellious, aggressive 25 year old young man. Maybe that's why that poll chose Chinese Democracy as best GNR Album? Maybe they were using maturity as the template? 🤔

14 hours ago, Nintari said:

One In A Million is the reason why I like the record. It was the coolest song on the record before everyone decided that words do, in fact, break bones, and it's the coolest song now. Art isn't suppose to create a safe space. It's suppose to tell the truth about the world through the eyes of the artist... and what better example of that than One In A Million? That's what Axl saw and felt, and it's about as heartfelt as you can get. Perfect.

As far as the topic goes, I would say Live Era is by far my least favorite. Something about fake live albums just don't do it for me.

yes, the heartfelt sentiment expressed in the song is horrid. It has nothing to do with a "safe space". Art is inherently political, a work can absolutely be judged on its politics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I remember a poll I think a decade ago in here where ChiDem won the best GNR album. Like WTF...

This place was like a Chinese Democracy/Support everything Axl does cult at the time.  It wasn't as bad as HTGTH but was getting there.  I think a lot of old school fans were turned off and just didn't come around anymore. Tired of reading how Slash was the fucking Devil. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

This place was like a Chinese Democracy/Support everything Axl does cult at the time.  It wasn't as bad as HTGTH but was getting there.  I think a lot of old school fans were turned off and just didn't come around anymore. Tired of reading how Slash was the fucking Devil. 

4 hours ago, Karice said:

Chinese Democracy shows how mature Axl had become in 21 years, he sounds like a mature middle aged man in his 40's, rather than some angsty, rebellious, aggressive 25 year old young man. Maybe that's why that poll chose Chinese Democracy as best GNR Album? Maybe they were using maturity as the template? 🤔

Tom-Ass summed it up nicely. I was about to reply and saw his post. A decade ago before the reunion, there was this Axl Defense Force vs Slash supporters. It was hilarious but also weird.

and yes, some cool people disappeared, that is why I myself dont post much here. Passive aggressive people then I chatted with 2 others who said they left cuz it is becoming too political back then as well.

• Like 2

I was definitely an Axl nut-swinger back then, which I regret now. You gotta remember though that this was back when slash was doing crap like American Idol. They were both cringe.

That said, while I don’t like ChiDem as much as I used to, it’s far from their worst. That would go to Lies (with TSI also being pretty far down there).

8 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

yes, the heartfelt sentiment expressed in the song is horrid. It has nothing to do with a "safe space". Art is inherently political, a work can absolutely be judged on its politics.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that art's at its best when its 100% honest. And that song is 100% honest without even a hint of filter. Therefore, it's great art. As a matter of fact, imo, it's art personified. Sure, we can all argue about the subject matter, but as an artistic expression, it doesn't any better.

On a side note, Axl addressed this issue in Don't Damn Me, basically saying that what he sees and how he feels is what he puts into his music, and he's not apologizing for it because his job as an artist is to tell the truth... and that's what he did.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nintari said:

But that wasn't my point. My point was that art at its best when its 100% honest. And that song is 100% honest without even a hint of filter. Therefore, it's great art. As a matter of fact, imo, it's art personified. Sure, we can all argue about the subject matter within, but as an artistic expression, it doesn't any better.

A man can be honest and an asshole at the same time. This is the same thing in song form. Think about a neo-nazi black metal band, they might be honest about killing brown people, but that does not make them great artists, at best it only gets them jumped. If I were a necrophiliac and wrote a song about how much fun I had butt-fucking some dead granny in a funeral home would that make me a great artist? Would you buy my record?

Edited by Sonic Reducer

20 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

A man can be honest and an asshole at the same time. This is the same thing in song form. Think about a neo-nazi black metal band, they might be honest about killing brown people, but that does not make them great artists, at best it only gets them jumped. If I were a necrophiliac and wrote a song about how much fun I had butt-fucking some dead granny in a funeral home would that make me a great artist? Would you buy my record?

I don't view the song that way. I see it as an account of a young, super-naive white kid from a bigoted background who's scared and trying to make sense of a new world that's overwhelming and threatening. He's paranoid, jumping at shadows, doesn't know who to trust and has thus, forms these base-line, hard-wired, rudimentary judgments. It's the first act of a larger act.

It's fascinating.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1