Would The Band Sound Bad/Different Without Melissa?

12 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

If you go thru show threads it is littered with people who say the band is on fire or tight or playing great.  Only the biggest haters say the band isn't playing good. This is not including Axl of course lol

Even you can admit that the band sounds good live 

I just saw them in Sydney, and aside from the buzz of being front row on the rail in front of Slash, I thought the band sounded the sloppiest I’ve ever heard them, especially Slash. 

Whatever the fuck Melissa was “doing” up there, certainly wasn’t helping to make it sound better to my ears. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, janrichmond said:

When you're at the show it sounds better because of the crowd around you singing, the atmosphere is great. The band does sound good. Axl does not. IMHO

Hate to be negative but when I saw them in London 2022 they were all a bit shit. Had seen the remaining Eagles at Hyde park the week before and they were note perfect - “f’n” spotless. 

slash was dropping bollocks left and right, the whole thing sounded extremely loose and lethargic… 

Axl takes a lot of the heat but the last time I saw them, none of them were on their A game.

my assessment …

Axl - physically incapable, admire his willingness to atleast give it a go, but yeah - not great. 

slash - bored, overplaying because he’s going through the motions. Downright sloppy at points. 

duff - hampered by bass sound, just never sounds good in stadiums and mega venues. Also going thru motions.

frank - a bit wooden, characterless, and though mostly competent, probably doesn’t have the chops Matt/brain did. Tempos are whack sometimes but that may be at the request of the others..

richard / Melissa - normally to low in the mix to even know whether they’ve had a good or a bad night

i honestly don’t care about dizzy enough to even assess his playing and it’s impact on the band as a whole. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Even you can admit that the band sounds good live 

I don't know about that.. They seem to lose a step every year and it should be the other way around. I have said from the beginning that Slash sounds better with his own band than Guns and that becomes truer every year.  That said he was still stealing the show every night and I attribute his level of playing more to his lack of real chemistry with Fortus and Franks crap drumming than Melissa. Nothing has changed there. They were good enough and some nights really good but not as good as they could or should have been. Even on their best nights in 2016 and 2017 I have a hard time thinking Melissa had anything to do with it. I personally don't think female backing vocals sound good in this band and I didn't like when you could her synths more prominently during shows like the Appollo.  

They could be on fire this year though. I haven't really watched any videos since they first started playing Reckless Life.

I have seen 4 reunion shows now.  First one (Vegas) was great for the experience.. The 2016 Foxboro show really was great.  The 2018 show wasn't that great but better than the last time I saw them at Fenway..  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

Hate to be negative but when I saw them in London 2022 they were all a bit shit. Had seen the remaining Eagles at Hyde park the week before and they were note perfect - “f’n” spotless. 

Yeah, I saw them in London 2017 and to me Axl was the weakest link. I didn't bother going this year. 

I never really noticed Melissa.

• Like 3

I expect she is there to compensate vocally for Axl’s weakened voice, it can help a lot to carry choruses etc. The other stuff she does is probably just things they’ve found for her to do which add to the overall sound and show. They could survive without her of course but why not include her since she does provide a role. I suspect a lot of the derision aimed at her is due to some people resenting her presence as not cool or macho enough for Guns n Roses.

I don't mind Melissa. She is essential to the sound of many Chinese Democracy and new songs, and does a good job filling in elsewhere with other work and backing vocals. If GNR has to have two keyboardists/supporting musicians, I would take Melissa over Chris any day really. At least she can sing and isn't an arrogant fuckhead.

• Like 1