Would The Band Sound Bad/Different Without Melissa?

• janrichmond changed the title to Would The Band Sound Bad/Different Without Melissa?

it would be less jumpy which I'm personally against and I think Melissa's voice is the most suitable to compliment Axl's voice except maybe Izzy which doesn't have much power to it, but Axl and Izzy sound perfect together vocally for me. Melissa brings an edge to it which Tracy and Roberta lacked for example imo.

what she's musically adding to the show in addition to her backup vocals is not like a major thing that the band can't continue to tour without, but it's not nothing imo, there's a function to it which adds something to the show, like it or not.

• Like 2

I found it absolutely ridiculous that you have Slash and Fortus on guitars, yet they apparently need a keyboard player to thicken up the guitar sound? Give me a fucken break, what a load of bollocks if I ever heard it… :lol:

Edited by metallex78
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, metallex78 said:

I found it absolutely ridiculous that you have Slash and Fortus on guitars, yet they apparently need a keyboard player to thicken up the guitar sound? Give me a fucken break, what a load of bollocks if I ever heard it… :lol:

she's thickening it, can't you tell? keyboards do that in many rock bands. Gn'R is not the first to use keyboards for this purpose. Does it need thickening in Gn'R is a different question, but I guess this is what Axl wants so that's why Melissa is there. What's the harm for the music if it's too small of a difference to notice for probably most of the crowd.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Most touring bands keep this off stage or behind a curtain. GNR keeps it authentic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/2/2022 at 7:38 AM, nathanhall said:

There are no vocal samples.  It's all real.  This is a rock band, not pop shit.

You would not notice anything musically.  

Absurd begs to differ as do a few other songs.

As far as what she does and would it sound bad/different. Well yes it would sound different as she does a fair bit of backing vocals now. Would gnr be able to go out a play without her? Yeah of course. Her stuff is so tucked away 7 years later I'm still working out what she is playing,I have heard mixes where she was more prevalent but they are rare finds.

13 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Literally everyone here always compliments the band and how good they sound night after night.  And she is apart of the band and how good they sound.  This is how modern concerts are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Stripped back Guns like late 80s and 91 would be brilliant to hear. Too much bloat has always been the big problem with this band. 

I dislike a lot of the 1992 Use Your Illusion shows because of the back-up singers. They work on a few songs but bring down most of the others.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mystery said:

I dislike a lot of the 1992 Use Your Illusion shows because of the back-up singers. They work on a few songs but bring down most of the others.

Agreed. It was cool for a minute and was something different but glad they ended it. The band must have had the same sentiment and the result was the Skin N' Bones leg of the tour which was 10 times better. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agreed. It was cool for a minute and was something different but glad they ended it. The band must have had the same sentiment and the result was the Skin N' Bones leg of the tour which was 10 times better. 

Skin and bones tour was more to do with them not making bank on the previous runs due to huge stage productions, late starts, excessive spending on parties and additional musicians. I don't think I've heard Slash/Duff or any other member talking down about the backing singers. So they stripped it all back and made some money.

Agreed they suited some songs more than others though. 

16 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Literally everyone here always compliments the band and how good they sound night after night.  And she is apart of the band and how good they sound.  This is how modern concerts are. 

What forum are you on? can't be MYGNR😄

• Haha 4

I doubt she does that much. She definitely does something, BVs being her primary remit.. though GNR aren’t a ‘BV’ band. Unless you classify duff honking ‘cmon!’ Or ‘chayeeeh this one’s for johnny’ in every song ‘backing vocals’. I suppose Izzy occasionally rasps along unenthusiastically like someone’s pissed gran who smokes 40 a day. They’re hardly the Beach Boys are they? Because that’s never what they were about. 

drummers normally trigger samples/intros and such using an SPD or something … this gives them a chance to count in tracks and dictate the tempo for the others - Frank will likely have a click and then trigger the sample (to an intro like absurd or TWAT…) then he’ll count it in for everyone else. It would be weird for a keyboardist to do this, and wouldn’t really work. 

she’s hitting some synths but I imagine it’s single note stuff… dizzy doesn’t do much either but I’m pretty certain he’s got the keys covered (hammond/piano).

I love that on their biggest ‘piano track’, dizzy is relegated to …. I don’t even know, does he play the synth on November Rain?… Rhodes? Bongos? Tin whistle?

anyway, the only thing less interesting in GNR than the backing vocals, is the keys. The band at its heart is 2 guitars, bass, drums, and lead vocals. Aerosmith tracks are full of genuinely interesting vocal harmonies and piano parts/arrangements, and they make do with one guy behind the curtain and some light track. GNR could easily do the same. 

Props to Axl for getting her out on stage to do the small amount of work she’s doing… I suppose there’s some integrity to having what little bits she does done live at-least. Would anyone miss her or dizzy if they weren’t there? 

I doubt it, people go to watch GNR to see 2 guitars, bass, drums, and THE singer. Basically, they’re surplus to requirements, and the wonderful music that was written 30 years ago just does not demand it. That’s not a slight on the music. It’s just like KISS don’t need a trombonist. So they don’t take one out.

theres no trombone on Love Gun..

save yourself the wage bill, Ax.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

I doubt she does that much. She definitely does something, BVs being her primary remit.. though GNR aren’t a ‘BV’ band. Unless you classify duff honking ‘cmon!’ Or ‘chayeeeh this one’s for johnny’ in every song ‘backing vocals’. I suppose Izzy occasionally rasps along unenthusiastically like someone’s pissed gran who smokes 40 a day. They’re hardly the Beach Boys are they? Because that’s never what they were about. 

drummers normally trigger samples/intros and such using an SPD or something … this gives them a chance to count in tracks and dictate the tempo for the others - Frank will likely have a click and then trigger the sample (to an intro like absurd or TWAT…) then he’ll count it in for everyone else. It would be weird for a keyboardist to do this, and wouldn’t really work. 

she’s hitting some synths but I imagine it’s single note stuff… dizzy doesn’t do much either but I’m pretty certain he’s got the keys covered (hammond/piano).

I love that on their biggest ‘piano track’, dizzy is relegated to …. I don’t even know, does he play the synth on November Rain?… Rhodes? Bongos? Tin whistle?

anyway, the only thing less interesting in GNR than the backing vocals, is the keys. The band at its heart is 2 guitars, bass, drums, and lead vocals. Aerosmith tracks are full of genuinely interesting vocal harmonies and piano parts/arrangements, and they make do with one guy behind the curtain and some light track. GNR could easily do the same. 

Props to Axl for getting her out on stage to do the small amount of work she’s doing… I suppose there’s some integrity to having what little bits she does done live at-least. Would anyone miss her or dizzy if they weren’t there? 

I doubt it, people go to watch GNR to see 2 guitars, bass, drums, and THE singer. Basically, they’re surplus to requirements, and the wonderful music that was written 30 years ago just does not demand it. That’s not a slight on the music. It’s just like KISS don’t need a trombonist. So they don’t take one out.

theres no trombone on Love Gun..

save yourself the wage bill, Ax.

Certain songs need keys and even the songs that didn't have keys benefit when their added in below the mix. Dizzy would be missed a lot more than Melissa, but like you said there is something to be said for having the triggers samples performed live on stage rather than by a automated computer or MP3 file

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Literally? In what world?

If you go thru show threads it is littered with people who say the band is on fire or tight or playing great.  Only the biggest haters say the band isn't playing good. This is not including Axl of course lol

Even you can admit that the band sounds good live 

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

If you go thru show threads it is littered with people who say the band is on fire or tight or playing great.  Only the biggest haters say the band isn't playing good. This is not including Axl of course lol

Even you can admit that the band sounds good live 

When you're at the show it sounds better because of the crowd around you singing, the atmosphere is great. The band does sound good. Axl does not. IMHO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

When you're at the show it sounds better because of the crowd around you singing, the atmosphere is great. The band does sound good. Axl does not. IMHO

That's what I'm saying. Most people agree that the band sounds good.  And Melissa is apart of the band. So why complain about it?

She's happy to come up there night after night, and she's been in the band for years now, so she's doing something, she doesn't seem bored of it, and the people at the top want her there.  her work isn't designed to be obvious; I wish there'd be a video interview with her, showing all the sounds she makes, or an isolated track, so we can appreciate her in an obvious manner. it reminds me of this futurama quote:

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

ooe9uBx.gif

• Like 1