Richard Fortus Interview with Celestion

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

Izzy didn’t join the reunion because of a check. I’m a big Izzy fan, but that’s the way it was. “They didn’t want to split the loot equally” was roughly how his tweet went. You can argue wholeheartedly, but you’d be wholeheartedly wrong.

Frank is ANYTHING but fucking reliable!

Fortus is reliable and that’s not a slur. He’s a great player who can hold his own with and more importantly is someone who can gel with Slash musically. He knows when to hold back and he can go where Slash goes during Solos. He’s a good foil for Slash. A Sympathetic player. He’s a better guitarist than Izzy, but he will never write the songs Izzy wrote or could write if he were there now. 

To be fair, when someone doesn’t "split the loot equally", the money aspect is just one part of it, isn’t it. The other members are simultaneously taking a certain position towards you, with the money aspect being just an instrument/medium though which they’re telling you something. So when you feel repelled, it’s probably not because of the money itself but because of what the other members are telling you by this. 
Anything is arguable, discussable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 2/14/2023 at 2:47 PM, Sweersa said:

How so? He seems to be willing to stick it out with the band. No substance abuse, etc.

Not the best drummer from a playing standpoint, but he's Axl's drummer for a reason. 

Plus didn't he play with a broken hard or wrist somewhat recently?

Definitely one of, if not the most reliable person the band's ever had.

Reliable, as you point out though, is not about sheer ability

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 8:34 AM, Powderfinger said:

Izzy didn’t join the reunion because of a check. I’m a big Izzy fan, but that’s the way it was. “They didn’t want to split the loot equally” was roughly how his tweet went. You can argue wholeheartedly, but you’d be wholeheartedly wrong.

Frank is ANYTHING but fucking reliable!

Fortus is reliable and that’s not a slur. He’s a great player who can hold his own with and more importantly is someone who can gel with Slash musically. He knows when to hold back and he can go where Slash goes during Solos. He’s a good foil for Slash. A Sympathetic player. He’s a better guitarist than Izzy, but he will never write the songs Izzy wrote or could write if he were there now. 

I don't think a lot of fans really understand. Izzy was just as important as Slash, just in the opposite end of the musical spectrum. And they shared perfect chemistry. And Duff shares perfect chemistry with Izzy, as well, etc. One element missing from the formula changes everything. 

and there are even modern examples. (Ghost, Do It For The Kids) there is sort of an Izzy and Slash vibe, and with Axl and Duff (and also Adler and Matt) it gets even more Gn'R. It's a closed club and Milke Clink is invited to the party. (in a way)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

This current iteration of the band are all highly capable musicians who could easily write, record and release brand new stuff. Even Dizzy has released his own album, so you've got four songwriters in the band. I don't believe Fortus and Frank have written anything (I could well be wrong) but both are talented musicians who would certainly bring ideas to any recording session.

Sure that wouldn't be the formula of old, but there's no way they couldn't do it and it be pretty damn good, at the very least. 

That they won't is genuinely sad and such a missed opportunity and waste of talent. I've said this before, but imagine the varied, interesting catalogue of music we'd have if each iteration of the band had written and recorded just one album? 

Would have been fantastic. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

This current iteration of the band are all highly capable musicians who could easily write, record and release brand new stuff. Even Dizzy has released his own album, so you've got four songwriters in the band. I don't believe Fortus and Frank have written anything (I could well be wrong) but both are talented musicians who would certainly bring ideas to any recording session.

Sure that wouldn't be the formula of old, but there's no way they couldn't do it and it be pretty damn good, at the very least. 

That they won't is genuinely sad and such a missed opportunity and waste of talent. I've said this before, but imagine the varied, interesting catalogue of music we'd have if each iteration of the band had written and recorded just one album? 

Would have been fantastic. 

Fortus had a bunch of writing credits with the band Love Spit Love in the 90s (and Frank was the drummer). He also has credits on the second Dead Daisies album and the last Psychedelic Furs album. Slash, Duff and Fortus could probably write a good album... too bad we'll never hear it.

• Like 2