10/11/23 - Phoenix, AZ - Talking Sticks Resort Amphitheatre

downzy

With regards to Frank, the difference was immediately noticable after seeing Sean Kinney play with Alice In Chains. You can see Sean putting in effort and intention, even on the slow songs. He's driving the band forward. Then Frank comes on and he's just on autopilot, just one song after another. It's subtle but as a drummer myself I picked up on it pretty quickly. It's more of a body language thing I guess but it affects how the song sounds and how the band plays together.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

With regards to Frank, the difference was immediately noticable after seeing Sean Kinney play with Alice In Chains. You can see Sean putting in effort and intention, even on the slow songs. He's driving the band forward. Then Frank comes on and he's just on autopilot, just one song after another. It's subtle but as a drummer myself I picked up on it pretty quickly. It's more of a body language thing I guess but it affects how the song sounds and how the band plays together.

Well, they play 3,5 hour sets...I wouldn't look that entertaining and shit if I had to play 3,5 hour sets, and I 'just' play bass in a band.

20 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Overall a solid show and great setlist. I agree with an above poster that Frank was pretty low effort tonight - some songs were very slow and his fills were especially sloppy. Axl sounds great in his chest voice but it was very difficult to hear him when he switched to head voice. I love Slash and he's always going to be a legend but woof....his incessant noodling has become a real chore to sit through at times. Meanwhile, whenever Fortus got a solo he absolutely nailed it. Fun show, good crowd, and it was nice to hear all 3 "new" songs even if they aren't the greatest. Perhaps got the best audience pop of the 3. I don't care for the studio version but Bad Obsession is a fun song live.

Did GN'R start on time? I've read they were 30-40 minutes late at the last few shows.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Did GN'R start on time? I've read they were 30-40 minutes late at the last few shows.

This was their own show, so if they were also late for this one  maybe they are out looking for their most dangerous band in the world title😄 would be pretty bad to have gone 8years with a clean slate and then throw as you're about to wrap up touring for a while... But whatever, half an hour is not long considering we used to wait 1&1/2 to 4hrs sometimes, not mentioning the cancellations

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

This was their own show, so if they were also late for this one  maybe they are out looking for their most dangerous band in the world title😄 would be pretty bad to have gone 8years with a clean slate and then throw as you're about to wrap up touring for a while... But whatever, half an hour is not long considering we used to wait 1&1/2 to 4hrs sometimes, not mentioning the cancellations

According to setlist.fm they were about 40 minutes late for their own show in Houston, besides the festivals. A forum member who was at the Houston show also mentioned that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DSTK said:

Imagine a drummer doing one song after another lol

Im sure he's not on your superior level...AIC aren't even 1% entertaining, give me today's Guns over prime Alice any day 

Cool let's see some of your shows then.

6 hours ago, Mindray11 said:

Well, they play 3,5 hour sets...I wouldn't look that entertaining and shit if I had to play 3,5 hour sets, and I 'just' play bass in a band.

There's plenty of other musicians who play longer shows and still look like they're into it. Even Frank himself seemed more into it 2016-2019.

Great photos. After Hammersmith London in 2006 and Hard Rock in Hollywood, Florida 2021, I'm convince a smaller setting is the way to enjoy GN'R. I've seen them in all types of settings but those are the ones that spring to mind the second I think of GN'R live.

• Like 4

• janrichmond unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...