07/05/23 - Bern, CH - BERNEXPO

downzy

Full Locomotive video is out. Great outro. Very good overall instrumentally. Vocally some very strong parts and some weaker ones. Good effort in general, considering Axl's age and current vocal abilities, and the fact that it's not an easy song to sing (but it would be much, much better if he sang the verses in his lower voice). You can hear the (unnecessary) backing track clearly, though.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

GN’R resorting to backing tracks now, what is this sorcery?!

they've been using backing tracks for years. On shackler, Sorry, Chinese democracy, etc. Since the reunion they've been using less of them, but still at use on absurd and locomotive (that I can remember). They only use for vocal layers on specific song

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

For me neither PTU nor Locomotive "need" the higher register in the sense that they would lack for energy or strength without it. The studio version of Locomotive has layered vocals and Axl can sing only one of them live anyway, so why not sing the lower one and let the higher one to Melissa.

I think it would be better to save what's left of his higher register for the songs and parts that really need it, e.g. Rocket Queen and the second part of Estranged (although even that one sounded good with his lower voice last year in London, but would lose something from the way it's supposed to sound).

I don't mind delegating vocals to other singers, and didn't think it hurt Estranged to much not to go up into the higher register - some songs can be adapted easier, like he could sing November rain in his lower range too. But for my taste, Melissa singing those line just doesn't cut it. I know the thought process "she's hitting the notes, the line is being sung and Axl is still singing another line" but her voice couldn't be any further from Axls. If she could add some grit/nasality to it, I think it would sound better... I know Bumble wasn't to everyone's liking but when he sang Axl lines, he at least but the twang in there.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's not trickery, as in them trying to "cheat" or anything like that. I just think they could do without the backing track in this case.

I’m reminded  of when people here got on Axl for not somehow singing both voices in Shacklers Revenge live at the same time lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't mind delegating vocals to other singers, and didn't think it hurt Estranged to much not to go up into the higher register - some songs can be adapted easier, like he could sing November rain in his lower range too. But for my taste, Melissa singing those line just doesn't cut it. I know the thought process "she's hitting the notes, the line is being sung and Axl is still singing another line" but her voice couldn't be any further from Axls. If she could add some grit/nasality to it, I think it would sound better... I know Bumble wasn't to everyone's liking but when he sang Axl lines, he at least but the twang in there.

Yeah, I get what you're saying (that PTU and Locomotive choruses are too "aggressive" for Melissa to do the high parts of justice, as opposed to "softer" songs). But, realistically, Axl can't pull them off well in his high-pitched voice however much he practices and I don't think he would consider getting another singer just for this job on stage (and I probably wouldn't like that either). So, singing them in his still powerful lower voice with help from Melissa and Duff is, imo, the best option right now next to the ideal (but unrealistic) one.

Some reviews and articles (in Swiss German, summaries are based on auto-translation):

1. https://euro.dayfr.com/local/483111.htm

Summary: Musically great show, Slash still brilliant. Axl's voice not what it used to be (auto-translated excerpt reads: "We would hold it less against him if he decided to choose how he wants to sing. In the same song, he goes from a falsetto voice to a low voice. And when he tries to go high, his face is not far from turning scarlet (like on 'Reckless Life'))", but he was in great mood, didn't stop moving around and smiling. The omission of Knockin' On Heaven's Door was an unpleasant surprise.

2. https://www.baerntoday.ch/bern/stadt-bern/axl-und-slash-gaben-drei-stunden-lang-alles-152360420

Positive, mostly relying on comments from fans (translated headline reads: "Axl and Slash gave it their all for three hours"). Some complaints about the organizers.

3. https://www.nau.ch/ort/bern/guns-nroses-konzert-45-minuten-warten-auf-ein-bier-66538190

Same as above, more focused on the organization (translated excerpt reads: "Almost everyone agrees on one thing after yesterday's concert: Guns N'Roses with singer Axl Rose (61) and star guitarist Slash (57) put on a great show in Bern. For a good three hours, the old rockers gave it their all - and delighted the local audience."

4. https://www.derbund.ch/hoehen-und-tiefen-und-viel-arbeit-fuer-den-tontechniker-227813656974

Article behind paywall. Seems like a mixed review. Auto-translated headline and caption read: "Ups and downs and a lot of work for the sound engineer. Luckily it's not self-parody. The concert of the once biggest rock band in the world wasn't that bad." "The voice held - to some extent: singer Axl Rose did not disappoint in Bern. Guitarist Slash was masterful as always."

5. https://www.tagblatt.ch/kultur/konzert-guns-nroses-in-bern-selbst-die-truemmerstimme-kann-die-tollen-songs-nicht-zerstoeren-ld.2484645?reduced=true

Also behind a paywall and mixed (critical of Axl's "rough vocals").

• Like 2