Questions to Guys Who Watched Several GN'R Concerts in A Month

On 2/23/2023 at 2:45 PM, ChristmasFnatic said:

Is it cool or does it get tiring/boring?

I mean of course, the place/venue, people/crowd adds to the experience. But I meant the band and the show itself, with almost same setlist. Not judging or mocking, in fact,  I am contemplating on watching 2-3 shows in Europe this July, but I am afraid I might find it boring the 2nd time around in such a short time. Or you guys still get lots of fun?

THANKS!

Well I went to their show in Groningen and Munich last year and I must say that to me it didn't feel boring at all, each show was fun in it's own way. Like in Groningen they were more rocking and focussed on the harder songs and brought those with more edge, plus they played street of dreams but no Hardskool. In Munich songs like civil war Estranged and KOHD were more convincing and Slash's tone touched me more and made me cry. Also they did Hardskool there and for me it was the first time I heard it

I find in these situations, it's always the shows you plan to go to, and don't go to where you end up feeling like maybe you missed out. Maybe not at this point in this never ending tour, but at least for me in the past i've had crazy luck missing out on GNR shows.

I first saw the Chi Dem version of this band in 2012 at that first Vegas Residency. The show I went to, my first GNR show, was forever immortalized on DVD, the first one since 1992. Awesome, thats a crazy high i'll never forget. For some reason I felt the need to go to this show and not the TWO that were on that weekend. 

2 nights later Izzy shows up to close out the Residency and plays 14 Years, You Could Be Mine, KOHD, Nightrain, Used To Love Her, Dead Flowers, Patience, and Paradise City over those 2 nights at the weekend. Thats basically a whole set of music by two men that literally may in fact not happen again in this lifetime. And I totally missed it by 2 fucking days. Crazy low i'll never forget. 

I saw the band back to back in 2016, New Orleans, then Dallas. I had previously seen them in Nashville less than a month earlier. During that show, as we all know, Steven Adler came out and played with the band which absolutely blew my mind getting to see 4 of the AFD 5 on stage together. Amazing high I'll never forget. 

During that NOLA/Dallas run, I was also planning to go see the Houston show, but as time went on, and the amount of money i was spending on those tickets starting adding up, I realized I was probably "over-doing" it by trying to get to the Houston show....

As we all know by now, Houston was the show that set the STANDARD for the NITL tour.... and I missed it, along with a ripping version of Catcher In The Rye with Slash by 2 goddamn days and a fear of spending too much money..... 

In the end, It's all what you get out of it. If you think 2 shows is worth it and you can afford it, I'd go for it! 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 4:02 PM, KeyserSoze said:

I find in these situations, it's always the shows you plan to go to, and don't go to where you end up feeling like maybe you missed out. Maybe not at this point in this never ending tour, but at least for me in the past i've had crazy luck missing out on GNR shows.

Happened to me in May 2006. I had tickets to what was originally the second show, but became the fourth show. But then I got tickets for night one, May 12, 2006. Spent a little too much money that night, and wind up selling my night four tickets outside the venue after the show…so I missed Izzy’s appearance. I did get to see all those ChiDem songs, some played for the first time, but I missed out on Izzy a couple of nights later. 

I’d say Treat it as a vacation or road trip with GNR gigs in between. See some of the city you’re in, Usually theres a tribute band to whatever band is playing the next day in each city, get to the cafes and food joint’s, go to the bar and soak up some atmos before the gig. See the sights along with seeing GnR.

I’ve done a few shows on all the Stones tours from 96 until 2019 and there’s a sideshow that travels from town to town with them. People dropping in for 2-3-4-5 shows and people doing 15. It’s good fun being amongst rabid fans of a band you love for a few days. You get to have the conversations and debates and never ending debates over food and coffee and beers and whatever else. Treat it as a vacation for a few days based around a band you like. Meet some people see where the gatherings are. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 7:17 AM, janrichmond said:

I try to listen to CD every few years, I want to like it but I can't. It's messy and I've given up trying.

You are my new favourite poster :lol:

I only like the outro on NR too :slash:

Awwwww thanks! We are so alike… unless we are the same person. Trolling other people here. One is a work account, one is a home account so IP address are different.

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2023 at 8:45 AM, ChristmasFnatic said:

Is it cool or does it get tiring/boring?

I mean of course, the place/venue, people/crowd adds to the experience. But I meant the band and the show itself, with almost same setlist. Not judging or mocking, in fact,  I am contemplating on watching 2-3 shows in Europe this July, but I am afraid I might find it boring the 2nd time around in such a short time. Or you guys still get lots of fun?

THANKS!

In 2021 I saw them play 3 times between August and October in New Jersey, Chicago and Florida. Maybe it was the post Covid-19 excitement of getting to do normal things again but I thought they got better with every show. I was at night 1 of Florida in the Hard Rock and its probably the best show I've seen since Hammersmith 06 in London. Never necessarily got boring, to answer your question, but it was obvious the show had become a bit of a rinse-repeat thing vs. what they used to do.