Questions to Guys Who Watched Several GN'R Concerts in A Month

Is it cool or does it get tiring/boring?

I mean of course, the place/venue, people/crowd adds to the experience. But I meant the band and the show itself, with almost same setlist. Not judging or mocking, in fact,  I am contemplating on watching 2-3 shows in Europe this July, but I am afraid I might find it boring the 2nd time around in such a short time. Or you guys still get lots of fun?

THANKS!

51 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I mean of course, the place/venue, people/crowd adds to the experience. But I meant the band and the show itself, with almost same setlist. Not judging or mocking, in fact,  I am contemplating on watching 2-3 shows in Europe this July, but I am afraid I might find it boring the 2nd time around in such a short time. Or you guys still get lots of fun?

THANKS!

No, it doesn't. Just the effort getting to the venue/front row does. The having to plan on how much you can drink, when to show up, how to run to get to the front. Then again, when it all works out, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world (and of course the travelling part itself is nice too, when you get to also see other stuff). Though I rarely watch show recordings other than my own. Watching random recordings gets boring to me. But I've never been bored being at a GNR show and usually always end up wanting more.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 4

I’ve seen them a lot pretty close together over the years, the most being in 2016 I saw them 5 times in a month. I was never bored, but maybe not quite as excited during some of the songs (KOHD and RQ I’m looking at you). But overall it’s a different experience each time. I usually go with different friends to each show, and usually get front row for one of them, and just party for the others. By the 5th show, I was just getting tickets for the nosebleed section. Always a fun night out for me. I also love getting new GNR merch, so I always grab a litho and at least one shirt from each show. Also, most of the bootleg shirts vary from city to city, so that’s always fun as well. 

When you're hyped, it's awesome. I watched 4 concerts in like two weeks or something back before the reunion. But then when the hype passes and you realize you paid to see the same damn concert (basically) a million times + hotel and transportation costs, you get pissed lol. I haven't seen GnR since then. Not sure when I'll see them again. I feel like I've seen enough after that :lol:

• Like 2

I'd say many shows in a small amount of time definitely leaves you feeling less hyped. You know the set, the order, etc. It's just not possible to keep that high level of excitement unless I guess you're very close. If you're talking about sitting somewhere in the lower tank next to a bunch of oldheads sitting down or carrying on drunken conversations, then nah.

I find I'm most hyped when I space shows apart. I went to St. Louis and Chicago in 2017. Louisville and New Orleans in 2019.  In 2016, it was Coachella in the spring, then two Chicago shows in the summer.

6 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

THANKS!

I’ve done this with other bands and it’s more the “event” that’s the fun, meeting up with other fans who made the trek and having drinks the night before and day of the show. Make it a holIday soundtracked by GnR. 

Back in 2017 I went to the Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne shows and it never got tiring, the Brisbane gig was best by far, it was the only one of the three that they played coma. But overall it was a good mixed set list and Axl was still singing pretty well.

After that I had no interest and didn’t go to anymore Aussie shows as it’s become embarrassing with Axls singing and lack of new music.

if they were promoting a new album id go to a future gig but they got enough of my money for now

Edited by megaguns1982

As the others wrote it s not boring to go to 2-3 shows within a short period of time. The traveling and sometimes seeing new places is the icing on the cake. Almost every time I went to see them 3 times there was one or two gigs that were special , like when they did „ used to love her“ or another song they play rarely. Sometimes funny things happen between audience and band. You enjoy the gig with friends or get to know new people.. in Prague 2017 (if i remember right) they played over 3 hours 17 mins so every show has something special and unpredictable..

• Like 1

Doesn't get boring. But knowing you've seen it before, know how the show is going to evolve, means you can enjoy each gig in different ways. 

Not seen guns in ages now, and didnt bother last time I could. But in the past I saw them a bunch regularly. So figure I can answer. 

Found I enjoyed them all in different ways. Some at the front not missing a beat, others turning up a little late enjoying the company and vibe leading to it, other times enjoying drink/smoke breaks, roaming about, knowing when I'd don't want to miss something. 

Also followed them to different cities and countries which was a good excuse to travel and see shit with them as the background event. 

• Like 1

As much as I frown about the never-changing playlist, I can’t imagine it could ever really be boring if one saw a few shows in a row. Firstly, you’re still watching rock n’ roll icons and legends on one stage. Secondly, you’re watching great, professional musicians doing their magic. Thirdly, each venue has unique atmosphere, time, mood etc.; they’re never the same. And last but not least, there are these small tidbits that cannot repeat, which you may forget later on, but they’re there – like small communication details when they smile at each other, or Axl says something funny, or someone screws up and they have a laugh, or a microphone isn’t working properly, or Axl reacts to someone in the crowd shouting something, and so on. That’s always unique. I would if I could. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Seeing Slash and Axl on stage is never boring. Every show i've seen was kind of unique and you don't forget those moments at each concert, although the show itself might not be all different every week. But it's something i wouldn't wanna miss for the world. Plus travelling to foreign countries and meeting fellow gunners/friends is always a great experience too.

Going to different countries is cool. But i dont think it'll be exciting in the same country or back to back shows. I used to do 3 shows when they came to the uk in 2006 2010 and 2012 and it was epic because he was late, the show was great and there was danger and energy. i did it in 2017 and i was bored stiff the second night. almost identical setlists and same stage moves, very safe atmosphere. once is plenty for this incarnation. if you are rich enough to see them once. 

I did back-to-back shows last year, I was just as excited for the second day as I was the first, even if both shows ultimately ended up being a mess (yep, London).

Also saw SMKC three times on their most recent tour, and a couple of other bands multiple times on the same tour too.

For me it's not about what they play, but the feeling I get just being there. I'd go every night if I could, but it's of course different for everyone

Edited by DoMw94

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I saw Rammstein 3 times in a week last year and they play the EXACT same show every night. And it was incredible every single time.

Huh, I never knew that, seeing them 3 times this year for the first time after years of missing out (Vilnius, Munich, and Paris). But I'm doing standing, seated, and FEUERZONE between the three so at least that'll be different.

On the topic of GNR, saw them 6 times in 2010 and never got bored. The 5 shows I went to in 2012 were all unique. 2013 in Abu Dhabi was nice because I went with my dad and sister. 2014 Buenos Aires show was WILD because of the crowd and having Duff play a full set for the first time since '93. 2016 was fantastic seeing the reunion and Axl on form.

2017, the two shows I saw in January in Tokyo were good,  was hoping they would do something special but they did change the setlist between the two nights so that was positive. For the shows in Europe it was a mixed bag, started to feel the lull at certain points, same with the two I saw in 2018. The 2019 Guadalajara gig was a shitshow not so much because of the band but because of the organisers, was not in a good frame of mind queuing for hours AFTER doors had opened. I feel like that's really the only time I didn't feel I got much from the show (though if they'd played Locomotive instead of Coma that would've made it worth it for me), and was extra bitter because it was the most I ever paid for any gig (about £200 for the front half of the stage, and that still felt like miles away).

I had a good time at the two 2022 London shows, was happy to see Carrie Underwood join them and to hear ABSURD twice and Hard Skool once. For 2023 I've only got the Hyde Park gig booked. Normally I would book shows in cities I've never been to like Rome or Bucharest, but I'm doing a fair bit of travelling for Rammstein and Iron Maiden (seeing them in Krakow after the Rammstein Munich gig) this year. If Axl's vocals were better I would definitely book at least one of those two. We'll see.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Thanks guys! I might do Germany and France now. 

I guess if they change the setlist or even shuffle it, it would help fighting the “less hyped” feeling.

When you're in that part of Germany consider that on friday, 2 days before GNR, Hollywood Vampires are playing in Mainz. That's just a half hour distance by train.