Questions to Guys Who Watched Several GN'R Concerts in A Month

• 1 month later...

I saw Lisbon and Hanover last year, first and last stop of the European leg. And it was great. 

This year I'll be in Budapest and Athens,  the last two europe shows. 

After every GNR show I visited, the next day I had an urgent need to turn back time. So for me: no does not get boring at all.

• Like 1

Went to November 1st, 4th and 5th dates in Argentina in 2016. It was great but, to be honest, I was kinda of bored in "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" of the 5th.

That being said, the people went crazy with Guns. It was an awesome show for those who don't know that the concert starts with "It's So Easy", then "Mr. Brownstone", etc. In fact, there was a guy who walked away at the final of "Nightrain" because he thought it was the end I said to him to stay because the show wasn't over. The guy had a blast and I kinda of envied him because he was very happy and I was "oh boy, here comes Patience, Seeker or something...great. Play Paradise now, I have to wake up early for work tomorrow...". 

• Like 1

I think it's very much down to what you expect out of a gig. 

For me I saw them twice in one month and by the 2nd show I was quite content not to see them again for a few years, even though I still enjoyed it... But it felt like rewatching a movie or watching a gig in an outer body kind of way where I was just observing the event. 

For me it is always fun for the first while, the before the band comes on stage and then the opening songs... But once the show is on track and moving along it's only natural for it to lose its edge after you've seen it multiple times and it's a very similar set if not identical. I find it hard to believe to imagine that other people doing the same are having wildly different experiences considering how much I obviously love gnr. 

I've seen a bunch of back-to-back shows: Vancouver/Seattle 2011, Vegas 2012/14/16, and Vancouver/Gorge 2017.

I always wanted to see a show at the Gorge so that was awesome, it's an amazing venue, but the 2017 shows definitely had some lulls and were very predictable. At this point I don't have any interest in travelling to see them multiple times.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 2:45 PM, ChristmasFnatic said:

Is it cool or does it get tiring/boring?

I mean of course, the place/venue, people/crowd adds to the experience. But I meant the band and the show itself, with almost same setlist. Not judging or mocking, in fact,  I am contemplating on watching 2-3 shows in Europe this July, but I am afraid I might find it boring the 2nd time around in such a short time. Or you guys still get lots of fun?

THANKS!

It's one of my biggest concert regrets, to be honest. I attended back to back nights in Rome and Milan back in 2010.

Knowing how they roll, I didn't expect any setlist changes or anything like that, but it was my first time seeing GNR and I was excited to see them twice no matter what.

The show in Rome was great, Axl was really on fire and delivered some great vocals. They all sounded a little tired at the show in Milan so, in hindsight, it didn't give me any "plus" seeing that and I would have been ok just with Rome anyway.

I was very bummed for a weird coincidence though: I caught two of the very few shows in that tour where they didn't play 'Better', which is one of my fave GNR songs and I was looking forward to hearing live. It's not an easy song to pull for Axl and its live renditions are never that great, especially these days, but I was looking forward to it nevertheless. They had dropped it for some shows in the middle of that tour, no idea why, only for it to return later on.

In hindsight, it "hurts" even more, because when I bought tickets I had a choice to make: either see GNR two nights back to back or see them just in Rome and get a ticket to go to Rome again a couple of months later to see Prince (being based in a different city than Rome and Milan I had to take into account travel expenses too, so seeing both GNR shows AND Prince was not an option). I was very excited about GNR and thought "I'll catch Prince next time...". Little did I know.

EDIT: I just want to add that GNR back then were not the "tour all the time" band they were soon to become. The chance of seeing them live still felt like something special. Over the previous 10 years, they only played a handful of shows in 2001, the aborted US tour in 2002 and a solid comeback tour in 06/07. With the whole year of silence/no-tour after Chinese was released, their touring choices still felt quite unpredictable, that's why I jumped at the chance of seeing them live twice in two days. Nowadays, when they do one tour cycle after the other, I don't think I would do it again.

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Sad 2

Between 1990 and 1993 I must have seen them at least 15 times. Never ever got bored, except when Axl was turning up late and we were just waiting around for him to ‘maybe’ show up.  Luckily I only ever experienced this twice, but it was enough to dampen my efforts to buy tickets to the next concert.   Milton Keynes 1993 was my last show, so seeing them again for the first time since then at Hyde Park in June is going to be very nostalgic and a big event for me.  Not sure I’ll do any more after this one, but I’m looking forward to it.  The mixed reports on the performances is a bit deflating though, but for every negative report, I hear a positive one.  

• Like 4

I had only two shows in a row twice. Berlin & Leipzig and Munich & Hanover.

I got luck, because the second show (Leipzig 2018 and Hanover 2022) were better than the previous one (Berlin 2018 and Munich 2022). I was really happy to witness a better show^^

never felt boring for me, because it feels awesome to see Axl and Slash together on the same stage. I can't get enough to see this live. Axl's voice doesn't really bother me live. More on videos but less live. Slash is always fun live, i hope for a another SMKC tour.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

I don't think it's ever boring, but of course the question of whether it's worth the ticket price is different. I was willing to pay $200+ for upper deck stadium seats just to be in the building for the first Not In This Lifetime leg. Now that it's further on and not much has changed, I'm far less willing to pay that much for the same seats. But regardless of that equation, I'm not thinking about that once I'm in the building. If I'm at the show, I'm loving the show every time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

Between 1990 and 1993 I must have seen them at least 15 times. Never ever got bored, except when Axl was turning up late and we were just waiting around for him to ‘maybe’ show up.  Luckily I only ever experienced this twice, but it was enough to dampen my efforts to buy tickets to the next concert.   Milton Keynes 1993 was my last show, so seeing them again for the first time since then at Hyde Park in June is going to be very nostalgic and a big event for me.  Not sure I’ll do any more after this one, but I’m looking forward to it.  The mixed reports on the performances is a bit deflating though, but for every negative report, I hear a positive one.  

I really hope you enjoy it. Make sure you watch some YouTube videos of the more recent live stuff, just to be prepared. I had a big gap in seeing them too. MK 93 were my last 2 shows until 2017, Olympic Stadium. I'm not going to Hyde Park or Glasto.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I really hope you enjoy it. Make sure you watch some YouTube videos of the more recent live stuff, just to be prepared. I had a big gap in seeing them too. MK 93 were my last 2 shows until 2017, Olympic Stadium. I'm not going to Hyde Park or Glasto.

Blimey, is the difference that bad 😮   I have watched one recent concert recorded in a Paris and it was pretty good.  My daughter Poppy is going to Glasto to see them.  She’s only 16, so never seen them live.  But she’s nicked all of my old concert stuff and is really getting into them.  Which is bloody great. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Blimey, is the difference that bad 😮   I have watched one recent concert recorded in a Paris and it was pretty good.  My daughter Poppy is going to Glasto to see them.  She’s only 16, so never seen them live.  But she’s nicked all of my old concert stuff and is really getting into them.  Which is bloody great. 

My daughter came to one of the 2017 shows with me and she enjoyed it. It's better than the videos live because the crowd noise helps cover any weaker vocals. Also, I didn't know any of the Chinese stuff but there were only a few from that album. Axl sang Happy Birthday to the Queen which was funny.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 5:15 PM, Tom2112 said:

I think it's very much down to what you expect out of a gig. 

For me I saw them twice in one month and by the 2nd show I was quite content not to see them again for a few years, even though I still enjoyed it... But it felt like rewatching a movie or watching a gig in an outer body kind of way where I was just observing the event. 

For me it is always fun for the first while, the before the band comes on stage and then the opening songs... But once the show is on track and moving along it's only natural for it to lose its edge after you've seen it multiple times and it's a very similar set if not identical. I find it hard to believe to imagine that other people doing the same are having wildly different experiences considering how much I obviously love gnr. 

In 2017 they basically had 4 back to back shows in nyc: 2 at MSG, 1 at Prudential in NJ and then 1 more at MSG.

Night 1 I stayed until the end.. night 2 we left before the encore, night 3 we skipped because there’s really only one human I’d travel out to NJ for (name rhymes with Truce Finksteen but please don’t @ me about him selling out again, this isn’t about that) and night 4, lol, my Hubby ditched me completely and i miracled a fan in outside of msg.. I left after the 6th or 7th song. I mean… it’s the SAME show!!!

Anyway, when I go see Dead and Co back to back to back to back (usually 5x a tour) they play a different set EVERY night and change up arrangements ALL.THE.TIME (the same way the Grateful Dead did before Jerry died)

Back to back shows with the same set list and the same arrangement.. ya gotta be real rich or REAL committed. I only went because I had comps so… but for each their own!

Edited by IzzysMissy
Typo!
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Back to back shows in the same venue with the same set list isn’t great.  There are loads of people that make an event out of it and do both shows.  Makes no sense.  That’s lazy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

My daughter came to one of the 2017 shows with me and she enjoyed it. It's better than the videos live because the crowd noise helps cover any weaker vocals. Also, I didn't know any of the Chinese stuff but there were only a few from that album. Axl sang Happy Birthday to the Queen which was funny.

Damn. We're same that we're not familiar with CD songs. I mean I know a few but most of it, I just know the tunes but don't even know the title. I really tried listening to it(3x start to finish) but really can't get into it.

Also, like you, I skip November Rain. Only like the outro tbh. 

• GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Damn. We're same that we're not familiar with CD songs. I mean I know a few but most of it, I just know the tunes but don't even know the title. I really tried listening to it(3x start to finish) but really can't get into it.

Also, like you, I skip November Rain. Only like the outro tbh. 

I try to listen to CD every few years, I want to like it but I can't. It's messy and I've given up trying.

You are my new favourite poster :lol:

I only like the outro on NR too :slash:

• Like 1

There is no greater thrill than seeing those blokes, the very same that have had a profound impact on the lives of everyone on this forum, waddle out on stage, in the flesh, right in front of your naked steaming eyes. THE guys, the ones who recorded THAT album and appeared in THOSE videos, and played THOSE gigs. It’s truly awesome.

add about 12 overpriced stadium beers and it’s pure euphoria.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

There is no greater thrill than seeing those blokes, the very same that have had a profound impact on the lives of everyone on this forum, waddle out on stage, in the flesh, right in front of your naked steaming eyes. THE guys, the ones who recorded THAT album and appeared in THOSE videos, and played THOSE gigs. It’s truly awesome.

add about 12 overpriced stadium beers and it’s pure euphoria.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me.  And it’s a bonus when the performance and audience click perfectly and raise it to another level. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:45 AM, ChristmasFnatic said:

Is it cool or does it get tiring/boring?

I mean of course, the place/venue, people/crowd adds to the experience. But I meant the band and the show itself, with almost same setlist. Not judging or mocking, in fact,  I am contemplating on watching 2-3 shows in Europe this July, but I am afraid I might find it boring the 2nd time around in such a short time. Or you guys still get lots of fun?

THANKS!

Kind of up to the individual if they enjoy the same set list over and over again.  You ever see the same band a couple of times with the same set list?  Were you bored?

The closest together I've done was mid August in a stadium in Missoula, MT and then early October indoors in Hollywood, FL in 2021 both in the pit. Both shows were enjoyable. There were some setlist differences and the crowds were very different which made each show unique. 

Missoula was more of a biker vibe. Hollywood was more hardcore fans and latin Americans. In Hollywood the pit sung along with everything including Absurd.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:18 PM, Amir said:

Huh, I never knew that, seeing them 3 times this year for the first time after years of missing out (Vilnius, Munich, and Paris). But I'm doing standing, seated, and FEUERZONE between the three so at least that'll be different.

On the topic of GNR, saw them 6 times in 2010 and never got bored. The 5 shows I went to in 2012 were all unique. 2013 in Abu Dhabi was nice because I went with my dad and sister. 2014 Buenos Aires show was WILD because of the crowd and having Duff play a full set for the first time since '93. 2016 was fantastic seeing the reunion and Axl on form.

2017, the two shows I saw in January in Tokyo were good,  was hoping they would do something special but they did change the setlist between the two nights so that was positive. For the shows in Europe it was a mixed bag, started to feel the lull at certain points, same with the two I saw in 2018. The 2019 Guadalajara gig was a shitshow not so much because of the band but because of the organisers, was not in a good frame of mind queuing for hours AFTER doors had opened. I feel like that's really the only time I didn't feel I got much from the show (though if they'd played Locomotive instead of Coma that would've made it worth it for me), and was extra bitter because it was the most I ever paid for any gig (about £200 for the front half of the stage, and that still felt like miles away).

I had a good time at the two 2022 London shows, was happy to see Carrie Underwood join them and to hear ABSURD twice and Hard Skool once. For 2023 I've only got the Hyde Park gig booked. Normally I would book shows in cities I've never been to like Rome or Bucharest, but I'm doing a fair bit of travelling for Rammstein and Iron Maiden (seeing them in Krakow after the Rammstein Munich gig) this year. If Axl's vocals were better I would definitely book at least one of those two. We'll see.

Considering you are based in london and have seen them in Tokoyo abu dhabi buenos airies and europe, I'd like to accompany you to the show at hyde park, you sound like a very rich man living the rockstar dream!

• Haha 1

I think at this stage it depends on how much variety you want. 

If you want to see the same thing, and don't mind the repetition and the fact each time you see them the band won't be quite as good as the time before, you're going to get something out of it. 

I'd say if that's the case for you, good luck, enjoy it. It's not personally for me though. I need new stuff and variety, not just in music, in life really.