06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

25 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

Honest question - why is Glastonbury such a big deal?

I'd say three main reasons:

1: History, its been going on and off for well over 50 years now, so its a bit of a grand daddy of festivals that are still going today.

2: Size of the festival, 210,000 people last year, it has been even bigger in the past as well (300k in 1994). Those 210,000 tickets all sold out in 33 minutes last year, before any acts were announced. For context, Download this year sold out its 100k tickets a ,month before the event. So Glasto sold twice the amount in a teeny tiny fraction of the time of a large metal festival. I'd imagine Download is comparable to most other festival gigs Guns would do globally.

3: Cultural element. Someone was right earlier when they said its such a massive site that you could literally spend the 5 days there and not see a single music act. Its absolutely a cultural event, and is now far beyond just a music festival.

Probably Woodstock is the best comparison I could make to it, though there are other music festivals like Coachella which are probably in the same league as Glastonbury.

But this festival really is an elite festival, beyond the norm even for a stadium band like Guns.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, alstonuk said:

Honestly feel a great set would be Appetite into the rest of the hits. Jungle would get the crowd going, I’m not sure ISE will!

I was thinking about this.

While jungle will get the crowd going I think they should save it for a couple songs in to pick up the crowd after the initial energy from the opening. 

2 minutes ago, wendirosez said:

Absolutely ..  @colonizedmind    plus we have Elton Johns  last performance ever.  That guy is a national treasure over  here  like Freddie  is/was.  It is important as that event  of  Mon April 20th  1992.  

That's the last time .. causal /general public saws guns         Would you say   ?  @Oxford @waxl1974

055305121637b3202b4bbc32b85263df.jpg

I’m trying to think of a time since.  And really can’t.  That’s mad. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, koldbeer2 said:

I'd say three main reasons:

1: History, its been going on and off for well over 50 years now, so its a bit of a grand daddy of festivals that are still going today.

2: Size of the festival, 210,000 people last year, it has been even bigger in the past as well (300k in 1994). Those 210,000 tickets all sold out in 33 minutes last year, before any acts were announced. For context, Download this year sold out its 100k tickets a ,month before the event. So Glasto sold twice the amount in a teeny tiny fraction of the time of a large metal festival. I'd imagine Download is comparable to most other festival gigs Guns would do globally.

3: Cultural element. Someone was right earlier when they said its such a massive site that you could literally spend the 5 days there and not see a single music act. Its absolutely a cultural event, and is now far beyond just a music festival.

Probably Woodstock is the best comparison I could make to it, though there are other music festivals like Coachella which are probably in the same league as Glastonbury.

But this festival really is an elite festival, beyond the norm even for a stadium band like Guns.

Not to mention that Glastonbury is very extensively televised on the BBC. The Pyramid Stage headliners will be on TV, plus they have livestreams of the five biggest stages this year. 

It's absolutely a yearly cultural event here. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wendirosez said:

Absolutely ..  @colonizedmind    plus we have Elton Johns  last performance ever.  That guy is a national treasure over  here  like Freddie  is/was.  It is important as that event  of  Mon April 20th  1992.  

That's the last time .. causal /general public saws guns         Would you say   ?  @Oxford @waxl1974

Rock in Rio possibly?

Different crowd to be fair, but thats a very large festival that has live coverage of all bands. I can't think of any other on quite such a scale mind you (I guess 2011 as well but that was without Slash/Duff so it doesn't hold as much weight with the public)

31 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

Honest question - why is Glastonbury such a big deal?

In the UK its regarded as the premier music festival the granddaddy of daddies.  The whole music festival culture in the UK stems from Glastonbury it's a template that many try to follow.  From crowd numbers, square foot of area dedicated to the festival and the vast array of different genres of music, artists and political/cultural discussion everybody knows the name Glastonbury and what happens there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wendirosez said:

Slight correction: Elton John still has tour dates outside of the UK after this, but this is the last UK show of his final tour. 

But yeah, Elton John is an absolutely legendary figure in British music. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Not to mention that Glastonbury is very extensively televised on the BBC. The Pyramid Stage headliners will be on TV, plus they have livestreams of the five biggest stages this year. 

It's absolutely a yearly cultural event here. 

Yeah thats a fair point, its huge on the British media and the BBC itself is a bit of a famous institution which lends some extra weight to the festival. In many ways its an extension of the BBC itself.

I think alot of people are only starting to now know the hugeness of this festival. It absolutely sits alongside the likes of Coachella, etc at the top elite level of festivals. 

As much as your Downloads, Rock am Ring, etc are big festivals for the genre, this is another league up again.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Slight correction: Elton John still has tour dates outside of the UK after this, but this is the last UK show of his final tour. 

Well i was going by the Wikipedia page but absolutely .    EJ is pretty much musical royalty here for some...

2 hours ago, koldbeer2 said:

Yeah I've no idea where people ate getting the idea that this isn't a big deal. When you've got foo fighters doing a 'secret set', a band that normally easily headlines festivals in their own right, happy to do a set in this position in itself should tell you why it's so big.

It's equally as important as coachella, rock in rio, etc...

Glastonbury is 10x bigger than coachella. Coachella is a festival full of cunts showing off on insta and tik tok. Glasto may not be its original vision which was akin to original woodstock, but it is still all about the music and the people. It's one of the only festivals in the world where you cannot resale. You have to sign up to glasto then sign up with your id then bring your id to match the ticket etc. So no one can profiteer from it. It is (Almost) profit free too, with lots of money going to charity hence why they refust to pay headliners mores than 250-500k. (for context coachella had to pay GnR $14m across the 2 shows.) Bands like gnr foo fighters paul macartney adele taylor swift are not taking a 900% paycut to play a festival that isnt the biggest in the world. Of course some backward americans may think otherwise, but the proof is in the pudding. The boost artists get, the 10mil tv audience plus the 200k+ in attendance. 

2 hours ago, MattyIce3924 said:

Bingo. Not trying to be disrespectful, but no one outside England cares about Glasto. Seen some folks on here suggesting this could be “one of their biggest gigs ever” and that is the absolute wildest take I’ve seen. 

This is the absolute worst and wildest taken ever made on mygnr. This guy is making pele look cool and calm with this kinda ignorance. 

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

How many artists would change their entire set list (he's done the same show all tour, with zero changes...) Around especially for one gig like he is doing for this one. He knows it'll be a historic moment and will be repeated long after he departs....

Excited for tomorrow 

From watching live videos from Oslo I'm pleasantly surprised at how good Axl's voice is sounding. 

If they come out swinging and debut a new song this could set the tone for the post NITL GNR

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

How many artists would change their entire set list (he's done the same show all tour, with zero changes...) Around especially for one gig like he is doing for this one. He knows it'll be a historic moment and will be repeated long after he departs....

Think Elton will pull out Dua Lipa for Cold Heart as he's already playing that on tour, might bring out ollie from years and years too. Tbh I don't know if Elton would bring Axl out

5 minutes ago, tboneman said:

I'm glad the band realise how big this is for them. Or at least seem too. Getting there two days early, watching foos from the side, getting guest artists which is very much the done thing and even doing extra random vids like this. I think Paul McCartney/Dave Grohl. There was lots of complaints when GnR were announed that they werent black enough or female enough to fit the bill, so maybe theyve heard tha and they will bring out a female artist or black artist as a fuck you. That'd hit really well

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wendirosez said:

It isn't his last performance ever. 

He's got lots of other dates lined up on his current tour, and he's also backtracked and said this tour is only the last tour- that he'll still play live and just not do big tours. 

Edited by allwaystired

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It isn't his last performance ever. 

He's got lots of other dates lined up on his current tour, and he's also backtracked and said this tour is only the last tour- that he'll still play live and just not do big tours. 

To be fair, he didn't really backtrack on anything there. When he announced the tour, he said he'd still do the occasional gig, but no more touring. 

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

I'd doubt we get any interviews, I think the BBC will try to ignore GNR for the most part 

Agreed. I get the impression the bbc are hating the fact they are playing. They have hardly had a mention in the build up and can guarantee that Lizzo will get all the hype tomorrow night. 
don’t think the band fit the agenda

• ABSUЯD 1