Axl Rose - Glastonbury

4 hours ago, something.always said:

Google "Guns n' Roses Glastonbury" and just read the negative reviews. From people who were there. "Welcome to the Mumble". "Middle-aged small town hairdresser". "Worst Glastonberry headliner ever".

You guys need to take off your rose-colored glasses.

Most people who aren't journalists looking to get clickbaity with their headlines and articles have given them favorable reviews it looks like.  Both from many better written and thoughtful articles than the ones you cited as well as many reviews given via posts on social media, Reddit, etc. from folks actually there

Many, many people seemingly enjoyed their performance.  I am sure some didn't too, but to call those who did the minority seems just a tad silly IMO

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

The thing is that no matter what version or quality of GNR that takes a festival  stage, there will always be a lot of people who don’t like it. Hell, there’s a lot of people who don’t even like GNR in their heyday. 

That's true but do you honestly think that the Axl's singing negative reviews are unjustified??? Do you honestly think he sounds good apart from the low range??? I wouldnt even rate it as passable...We fans got used to it and are not horrified anymore...but any casual who wants or pretends to listen to something remotely close to the old Axl, will laugh at his new standart, and its reasonable.

I had a handful of buddies and their wife's over on Saturday to watch the Cubs game from London, and then mirrored the Gn'R show onto the TV. Half of them just know the hits and never cared about much about the band. They mentioned how bad they heard he sounds and looks. We all commented on bad notes and struggles, but we all, them especially, commented on the many times he hit the notes. Reviewers have every right to report on what they saw. Some were extremely negative, and some were very positive. That's how opinion pieces work. By the end of the show, everyone in my basement were impressed and entertained, and didn't understand all the hate and negatively Axl gets at his age. The fact that they were entertained, shows that he's doing his job, and that's a good thing. The same thing happened when I started reading Twitter comments afterwards. There were a ton of people expecting a car wreck, and were shocked by how entertained they were.

Edited by GoBucky
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

That's true but do you honestly think that the Axl's singing negative reviews are unjustified??? Do you honestly think he sounds good apart from the low range??? I wouldnt even rate it as passable...We fans got used to it and are not horrified anymore...but any casual who wants or pretends to listen to something remotely close to the old Axl, will laugh at his new standart, and its reasonable.

I don’t think the reviews are wrong, I just think it’s not really news. It’s been pretty “meh” since 2010 or even 2006. I feel like most “casual fans” that I know personally are already aware that it’s not anywhere close to the show it used to be. 

Regardless, I can understand the bad reviews but I feel like it’s expected at this point. 

sorry for the negativity LOL😉 it’s hard to look at my favorite band in an unbiased way  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I don’t think the reviews are wrong, I just think it’s not really news. It’s been pretty “meh” since 2010 or even 2006. I feel like most “casual fans” that I know personally are already aware that it’s not anywhere close to the show it used to be. 

Regardless, I can understand the bad reviews but I feel like it’s expected at this point. 

sorry for the negativity LOL😉 it’s hard to look at my favorite band in an unbiased way  

I completely understand my friend...I always try to look at the good positive things in the GnR world, especially if I'm talking to a non fan...

But here, I feel better to criticize the weak points because we are all fans hahaha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

It’s been pretty “meh” since 2010 or even 2006.

Are you referring to Axls voice here or just the band in those specific years? Because both Axls voice and the band were pretty incredible during those years. 2010 voice in particular was incredible 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D4NNY said:

Are you referring to Axls voice here or just the band in those specific years? Because both Axls voice and the band were pretty incredible during those years. 2010 voice in particular was incredible 

Yeah I meant after those years. I was watching a clip from the London show in 2012 and forgot how tight that band was. They didnt have that signature classic-GNR sound but damn were they fun to watch. Glad I got to see that lineup  

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion

2006 was a fun time and when I really started getting into the band as a kid. I'm still gutted I never got to see the band on that tour (won Wembley tickets but couldn't go in the end so gave them to someone else). I read Classic Rock Magazine back then and they were giving GN'R rave reviews for the live stuff and in 2007 they named the Chinese leaks album of the year! 2010 was a lot of fun (especially as I finally got to see them twice!) as Axl was on fire vocally and it was fun they were finally touring behind a released album. I think the first major blow was RIR 2011 and then the growing realisation that there was no new music on the horizon. Enjoyed the show I saw at Hellfest in 2012 but my enthusiasm started to dry up when the rumours about Ron leaving came out as that seemed to really hammer home that there was no music coming.

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

Being a frontman is a total package and not just vocals alone. I saw the whole thing and was pleasantly surprised, Axl proved to be an excellent frontman, even at this age! I am proud as a fan, the stakes were high but he's won the bet. Vocally it had its high and lows but overall it was a great performance by Mr Rose.  I thought in clean vocals he sounded pretty strong as well, in the past years we've heard way weaker YCBM Jungle and Rocket queens. and compare this to the shape of his voice last year, he really improved

• Like 3

On 6/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, Leddy said:

If you listen to the BBC sounds stream, as there's no video, for the most part you could be listening to classic GnR from any era, it's amazing how the aesthetic of them all being older colours your perception

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001n9cf

Up until CD, maybe. Then Slither makes you realize it's not 1992 anymore and WTTJ makes you turn off the stream :lol:

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:25 AM, Leddy said:

If you listen to the BBC sounds stream, as there's no video, for the most part you could be listening to classic GnR from any era, it's amazing how the aesthetic of them all being older colours your perception

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001n9cf

Thought provoking little post actually @Leddy iv'e changed my reaction from a like to a red rose since i think your post is pretty valid 

On 6/30/2023 at 12:06 PM, nikosgnr said:

I've watched the 4k version 4 times already.

Uncle Ax just nailed. He was fckn' amazing.-

I can only hope for a similar performance here in Greece.

So 4K version...other than super sharp picture. Any noticeable difference on audio front? Punchier, more depth? Any differences in anything else? Plan to get it soon.