Axl Rose - Glastonbury

Hugely energetic performance, the voice obviously not what it once was but I think he got everything he had left out of it and for the casual the main thing is he got every single big note required.

But yeah the energy he had was seriously impressive for 61. It would have been high energy performance even back in 06, yet alone in 2023.

Also it's very clear he has lost weight compared to 17-19 where he packed the weight on again after looking thinner in 16.

1 hour ago, koldweather said:

Hugely energetic performance, the voice obviously not what it once was but I think he got everything he had left out of it and for the casual the main thing is he got every single big note required.

But yeah the energy he had was seriously impressive for 61. It would have been high energy performance even back in 06, yet alone in 2023.

Also it's very clear he has lost weight compared to 17-19 where he packed the weight on again after looking thinner in 16.

The most energy since the reunion began....especially as he had the injury in '16! He gave everything vocally but when he started running from the start and we are all like "pace yourself man!" He was flat out especially that first 30-40 minutes. It's like he recharged his batteries for this one specifically...you probably won't see him move as much all tour. It was fantastic to see. Far more energetic than AM who are almost half his age!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

The most energy since the reunion began....especially as he had the injury in '16! He gave everything vocally but when he started running from the start and we are all like "pace yourself man!" He was flat out especially that first 30-40 minutes. It's like he recharged his batteries for this one specifically...you probably won't see him move as much all tour. It was fantastic to see. Far more energetic than AM who are almost half his age!

Actually in terms of energy it did remind me of those American 16 shows where he seemed to regain most of the swagger and confidence that he seemed to lose over the previous 5 years. 

3 minutes ago, koldweather said:

Actually in terms of energy it did remind me of those American 16 shows where he seemed to regain most of the swagger and confidence that he seemed to lose over the previous 5 years. 

Yea they were great but don't think he ran as much after not long being back from the foot injury....to be 7 years older and giving energy such as that, was a pleasant surprise.

The night felt like a  triumphant one to me. They played a mean show. 

They delivered, and i could really feel Axl was giving it his all to this. I felt  what was particularly significant to guns was, they didn't pander to the Glastonbury audience but they also  didn't forget what made the general public welcome them into their hearts, in the first place. 

Absurd was likely  unexpected for many of the Glastonbury crowd and many of the people at home  I'm sure. But, by axl singing that, for me, It kept the heart of this band beating. Shit got really real, they didn't bow down  to anyone, they never did. And, i think for that alone, in the general public memories being that they were known as "the most  dangerous rnr band in the world "  they kept their title. 

Nicely, nicely executed boys n Melissa. You should all be very proud. And us gunners, should be proud to be part of a night(again) which will undoubtedly go down in history. 

Edited by wendirosez
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wendirosez said:

The night felt like a  triumphant one to me. They played a mean show. 

They delivered, and i could really feel Axl was giving it his all to this. I felt  what was particularly significant to guns was, they didn't pander to the Glastonbury audience but they also  didn't forget what made the general public welcome them into their hearts, in the first place. 

Absurd was likely  unexpected for many of the Glastonbury crowd and many of the people at home  I'm sure. But, by axl singing that, for me, It kept the heart of this band beating. Shit got really real, they didn't bow down  to anyone, they never did. And, i think for that alone, in the general public memories being that they were known as "the most  dangerous rnr band in the world "  they kept their title. 

Nicely, nicely executed boys n Melissa. You should all be very proud. And us gunners, should be proud to be part of a night(again) which will undoubtedly go down in history. 

What really stood out was they did it their own way BUT I do think tailored the set in a way that would work best with the crowd/audience. 

Safer vocal choices such as bad obsession, pretty tied up, down the farm (which I think was added on the setlist this tour for this show) has helped Axl to do the best with what's left in the songs where it mattered.

Did not play any songs where his voice has been ropey (such as TIL, Better, Coma, etc) which I think was very wise.

Shorter solo spots, particularly with RQ which is normally quite self indulgent was almost too mellow last night, but it helped keep the pace of the set tight.

It was a long strong set but it didn't outlive its welcome. They played plenty of deep cute for us fans but also played most of the hits the public would want.

Other than perhaps...adding a new song, I'm not sure that setlist could be much better. They edited it but as you still kept stuff they felt worked well. Along with the tightness of the band and Axl effort I don't think you could ask for much more in 2023 guns n roses and they did themselves proud, especially given how meh they've been at times in the not too distant past.

10 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

He did the same in the past shows. In Vigo he was as energetic as this show, and was a 3 and half hours.

My wife saw Guns N Roses in Madrid 2006 and She was some dissapointed with Axl. In this show She couldn’t believe what She was seeing, awsome and now she likes more the band than ever before. Is not a diehard fan as me, Guns N Roses is not her favourite band, but now Axl is for her the best frontman in the world.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, something.always said:

Google "Guns n' Roses Glastonbury" and just read the negative reviews. From people who were there. "Welcome to the Mumble". "Middle-aged small town hairdresser". "Worst Glastonberry headliner ever".

You guys need to take off your rose-colored glasses.

Do we have your permission to read the many positive reviews as well? 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

When I first joined here in March, there were very very people praising the band and Axls singing.  It was a disaster.  I was deflated and not holding much hope for Hyde Park.  Since this tour started, opinion has swung massively with members.  It’s quite something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1