"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

For the time being, the most plausible explanation is that the new placeholder dates in some European stores are because they're out of stock, so it concerns only those who are ordering now from these stores and not those who have already pre-ordered it.

So this is only for new pre-orders? It makes sense, as they should email those who already ordered it.

10 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Surprised it hasn’t leaked yet. 
Didn’t perhaps only leak a day or two before 

Perhaps only leaked because of that jukebox fiasco. If it wasn't for that mistake, it wouldn't leak at all (of course, not counting the 1999 demo).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

So this is only for new pre-orders? It makes sense, as they should email those who already ordered it.

Yes, I think as long as the people who have already pre-ordered don't get an email about a delay, Oct. 27 still stands.

I had done some test purchases from various stores and I noticed that shipping from Italy was more expensive for me than from the US or the UK, although it should be the other way around considering that Italy is the closest to Greece.

As I understand it, orders made on Universal online stores are delivered from the US (which explains the additional cost). Probably also GN'R merch stores have priority over the Universal stores regarding availability.

13 minutes ago, betterman said:

I dont think the italian site sells it, its just a news site and they claim to have sources that says that The General is postponed

Not that site. The Universal Italy store site:

https://shop.universalmusic.it/products/guns-n-roses-perhaps-vinile-7-45-giri

Universal Italy is apparently the source for what the news site has reported.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

And I thought it was starting to get uneventful, but steadily creeping towards the release date, and then this last minute drama pops up! :rofl-lol:

I don't know what's going on with which artists uses which pressing plants, and how many vinyl pressing plants there are out there, or how vinyl production works, but considering this release date

i6gls1sa28vb1.jpg?width=537&auto=webp&s=

how possible is it that other artists had dibs on the vinyl pressing plants in certain countries? How many other people are releasing vinyls around this date?

Had a discussion about this the other day with someone who owns a record shop.

Basically, the big labels are using low quality vinyl and processes, resulting in incredibly poor record quality (he showed me a stack of returns that were due to be send back due to low quality sound, errors, shitty vinyl quality, labels wrong, all sorts). 

He said independent labels aren't doing this as much and the quality of records on those labels was still fine, but (admirably) told me he personally wouldn't bother buying anything on a major label at the moment on vinyl. 

He also said that the major labels, due to their abandoning of quality control, are really clogging up the vinyl factories entirely. Smaller batch independent releases are either getting sidelined and shunted by the big printing places or reverting to the smaller printing places so as to maintain some level of quality control, where there are big queues. 

Where GNR stand in all this, I have no idea. One of the reasons I was really hoping for a CD release was that I feared they'd fall into the 'low quality' vinyl camp. That the release has been delayed could therefore be a good sign- that they're waiting it out with the independents. 

The other side could be of course, good old fashioned disorganisation and that the quality will be dismal but that they simply ordered the batch too late to make the delivery time. 

I'd honestly think it would be one of these issues with manufacturing rather than any sort of 'plans changed' thing. But this is GNR, so who knows?! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CaioAKR said:

As of now, it is shipping on the 27th and there's no reason to believe that will change. The only thing that got postponed is the magic 8-ball in the UK store, which now is slated for December 1st, but the vinyl's still slated for October 27th, even in the UK. And, for that matter, the magic 8-ball is still slated for the 27th in the US.

You were saying?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

how possible is it that other artists had dibs on the vinyl pressing plants in certain countries? How many other people are releasing vinyls around this date?

My guess is the pressing plants haven’t had the music long enough due to Axl fucking around with the song 

• Like 1

I remember that it appeared to be sold out at some point in the US GN'R merch store and it became available again after a couple of days (without a change in the shipping date). My guess is that maybe part of the stock was "relocated" from UMG stores around the world, so that there would be availability on the main GN'R merch stores, and so now UMG stores in other countries are out of stock.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Best case for this year, is we get Atlas in November as rumored, and they package that (possibly with a B side, assuming Atlas is considered the A side) with Perhaps and The General as the follow-up EP to Hard Skool. 3-4 "new" studio tracks with 3-4 live recordings, that would be a nice stocking stuffer. 

So a CD and cassette of that:

1-Atlas Shrugged

2-Perhaps

3-The General

4-Oh My God/Zodiac 13/State Of Grace/Quick Song/Seven/Berlin/Soul Monster/Cuban Skies/Nothing/Eye On You/P.R.L.-Thyme/Whatever

5-Welcome To The Jungle (Live)

6-Coma (Live)

7-Pretty Tied Up (Live)

8-Sorry (Live)

(Or whatever)

December 31st tends to be the universal placeholder date. It appeared to me that GNR itself was handling the distribution of the Perhaps merch. Perhaps even the pressing of the records as well since GnR is its own UMG imprint. It still says 10/27 on the US GNR site and UK site. They still have paid advertising out there promoting the 27th. I'd think the 12/31 dates may be because the record is on backorder with those stores. It has been sold out and restocked before, so I think that's the most likely thing.

I will say it did seem like an incredibly quick turnaround on having records pressed. Announcement to release date being only two months. Not to say they couldn't of had them pressed prior. But, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the demand was underestimated and causing delays in Europe. The German GNR Merch site says 11/3, if I had to guess that would be when another wave of the records are available there. Americans and Brits should receive tracking info next Tuesday or Wednesday. I guess that's when we'll know for sure. Perhaps being "delayed" made sense because it was never announced. The record was announced and promoted for 10/27, so I have a hard time believing the majority of people who pre-ordered won't be receiving it on that date. 

Edited by bumbleslash69
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Best case for this year, is we get Atlas in November as rumored, and they package that (possibly with a B side, assuming Atlas is considered the A side) with Perhaps and The General as the follow-up EP to Hard Skool. 3-4 "new" studio tracks with 3-4 live recordings, that would be a nice stocking stuffer. 

So a CD and cassette of that:

1-Atlas Shrugged

2-Perhaps

3-The General

4-Oh My God/Zodiac 13/State Of Grace/Quick Song/Seven/Berlin/Soul Monster/Cuban Skies/Nothing/Eye On You/P.R.L.-Thyme/Whatever

5-Welcome To The Jungle (Live)

6-Coma (Live)

7-Pretty Tied Up (Live)

8-Sorry (Live)

(Or whatever)

3 songs that Axl struggles on live? Ok, sometimes the properly mixed live tracks make a difference and YES I'd like a full live set reunion (over the years, like live era was) BUT for the EP route of late...why not excite us, by having the setlist editions, like Bad Obsession, Anything Goes, PTU and Down On The Farm...cool tunes, plus Axl nails mostly all of that! They did put You're Crazy live on the EP last time...which was a recent addition, so why not! 

Edited by colonizedmind

8 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

December 31st tends to be the universal placeholder date. It appeared to me that GNR itself was handling the distribution of the Perhaps merch. Perhaps even the pressing of the records as well since GnR is its own UMG imprint.

I doubt it, because although GN'R is its own label, Universal is still the distributor.

It still says 10/27 on the US GNR site and UK site. They still have paid advertising out there promoting the 27th. I'd think the 12/31 dates may be because the record is on backorder with those stores. It has been sold out and restocked before, so I think that's the most likely thing.

I will say it did seem like an incredibly quick turnaround on having records pressed. Announcement to release date being only two months. Not to say they couldn't of had them pressed prior. But, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the demand was underestimated and causing delays in Europe. The German GNR Merch site says 11/3, if I had to guess that would be when another wave of the records are available there. Americans and Brits should receive tracking info next Tuesday or Wednesday. I guess that's when we'll know for sure. Perhaps being "delayed" made sense because it was never announced. The record was announced and promoted for 10/27, so I have a hard time believing the majority of people who pre-ordered won't be receiving it on that date. 

Yes. Plus, the delay in the release of Perhaps didn't involve people having paid money and expecting delivery.