"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

I mean, in the "my hopes my dreams are dead now" you can hear what appears to be robin finck making a very """industrial"""" sound with his guitar, like a very distorted double stop...

Where do we hear Double stops? OMG and SOG....

Again, this is 100% Pure speculation of my part, but its my view. 

Edited by NeonKinight

1 minute ago, NeonKinight said:

I mean, in the "my hopes my dreams are dead now" you can hear what appears to be robin finck making a very """industrial"""" sound with his guitar, like a very distorted double stop...

Where wo we hear Double stops? OMG and SOG....

Again, this is 100% Pure speculation of my part, but its my view. 

I don't think it's implausible that parts of SOG could have ended up on The General, and that SOG was a rough sketch of a song that was abandoned and then later parts were used from it, like with Eye On You and HS. SOGs style really fits Sebastian Bachs description of what The General sounds like very well.

10 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

Maybe SOG Would come in the Sean Beavan era...that is, 98/99.

The final demo we have in RM 3 is from 2000, But with no Buckethead or Brain yet...Axl clearly hadn't finished the lyrics yet, and final part of the song does remember the general....the sinister guitar riff and the half steps you can hear on "when do you think you can tell me..."

Brain says it was a different jam in 2001...and in 2002 we can especulate that the song received Marco Beltrami's orchestras, and in 2003 there was an interview saying the name The General for the first time...

Am I saying that they are the same song? not at all....but maybe SOG was left aside and EVOLVED TO the general...

Again, this is just pure speculation from my side and everyone's guesses is as good as mine..

SOG had completed lyrics, and none of the vocals that can be heard in the cell phone clip sound anything like SOG. They're 2 different songs.

• Like 2

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

SOG had completed lyrics, and none of the vocals that can be heard in the cell phone clip sound anything like SOG. They're 2 different songs.

It appears as the lyrics were not finished by the time he recorded...i mean he clearly skips a few beats in the demo we have.
They are not the same songs, but some parts of SOG were maybe used in The general.

Just now, NeonKinight said:

It appears as the lyrics were not finished by the time he recorded...i mean he clearly skips a few beats in the demo we have.
They are not the same songs, but some parts of SOG were maybe used in The general.

It seems like the lyrics are complete but the vocal take we heard wasn't the final one.

Why would State of Grace be the song The General evolved into (because it has to be a song that we've heard, right?) and not Eye On You?

It's also a song that we've heard, but hadn't heard of before. And... can't you clearly hear the "Mac Daddy" part in the quieter, lower vocals on the phone clip?

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

You're assuming the entire song sounds like the 30 seconds you've heard? If the song is indeed long, then it very likely will have many different sections to it as usual with longer GNR songs

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're assuming the entire song sounds like the 30 seconds you've heard? If the song is indeed long, then it very likely will have many different sections to it as usual with longer GNR songs

The orchestral intro doesn't fit into SOG and from what we've heard the song structures, melodies and vocals are different. I have no idea why it's so hard for some people to grasp that The General isn't something that's already leaked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The orchestral intro doesn't fit into SOG and from what we've heard the song structures, melodies and vocals are different. I have no idea why it's so hard for some people to grasp that The General isn't something that's already leaked.

You're basically saying it's impossible for a song to go to a different section that sounds nothing like the one before. Have you heard GNRs catalogue?:lol:I can give you atleast 10 examples where songs have gone into parts that you would have never seen coming if you only heard a minute of the song.

It has happened before that songs have been abandoned and parts of it were taken and used on other songs, EOY and HS. SOG sounds just like what Sebastian Bach described about The General, so if SOG was indeed abandoned it would make sense to use work done on that song on something else to not waste it, Axl even having written and recorded vocals and all.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

I'm increasingly of the view that we may have heard parts of The General before and that the song could well have been included in those village leaks, could be that SOG is an early version, maybe it's another instrumental but I find it hard to believe they weren't working on it at that time. 

Just a gut feeling. I also don't think massive amounts of additional CD material exists beyond those leaks. There will be some stuff but the core of that era is likely there and it would be weird for The General not to be a part of it. 

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What? You realize November Rain was released on 7" vinyl in 1992, with a length of 8:53

https://www.discogs.com/release/368536-Guns-N-Roses-November-Rain

I always assumed that the 7-inch version of NR was the radio edit that cut out the outro part, but I guess I was wrong.

Maybe “The General and Monsters” really is two separate songs stitched together, and the whole thing will be pretty long (meaning it’ll sound like shit on a 7-inch, but oh well). As others have said here, Eye On You got combined with HardSkool, and apparently Fortus told a fan recently that Seven is really D-Tune combined with Circus Maximus or some shit, so Axl seems to enjoy combining isolated ideas into one thing.

Edited by rocknroll41

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're basically saying it's impossible for a song to go to a different section that sounds nothing like the one before. Have you heard GNRs catalogue? I can give you atleast 10 examples where songs have gone into parts that you would have never seen coming if you only heard a minute of the song.

It has happened before that songs have been abandoned and parts of it were taken and used on other songs, EOY and HS. SOG sounds just like what Sebastian Bach described about The General, so if SOG was indeed abandoned it would make sense to use work done on that song on something else to not waste it. 

Why would Axl abandon a completed song with almost completed lyrics?

Not only am I confident that SOG and The General have nothing to do with each other, but I think it's very likely that SOG will be released in the future.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're basically saying it's impossible for a song to go to a different section that sounds nothing like the one before. Have you heard GNRs catalogue? I can give you atleast 10 examples where songs have gone into parts that you would have never seen coming if you only heard a minute of the song.

It has happened before that songs have been abandoned and parts of it were taken and used on other songs EOY and HS. SOG sounds just like what Sebastian Bach described about The General, so if SOG was indeed abandoned it would make sense to use work done on that song on something else to not waste it. 

Breakdown comes to mind……

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It has happened before that songs have been abandoned and parts of it were taken and used on other songs, EOY and HS. SOG sounds just like what Sebastian Bach described about The General, so if SOG was indeed abandoned it would make sense to use work done on that song on something else to not waste it. 

Don't be ridiculous. Of course songs can change from section to section, but the 'intro' part we've heard is over 4 minutes long and it doesn't fit anywhere in SOG. The vocals and guitar melodies we've heard sound nothing alike. Maybe SOG was abandoned, we have no idea, but it's far more likely that they're different songs rather than SOG being so heavily restructured into The General.

I don't think parts of The General are anywhere in the Village leaks, but I'd say there's a better chance it originated as Billionare than SOG. (It's not Billionare either, though.)

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Why would Axl abandon a completed song with almost completed lyrics?

Not only am I confident that SOG and The General have nothing to do with each other, but I think it's very likely that SOG will be released in the future.

I don't know, why would he abandon Eye On You, isn't that also a completed song with complete lyrics? So either you believe Eye On You is still coming out (lol) or it has, what I believe, been abandoned and parts of it used on other songs so not all the work gone into it was done for nothing.

SOG itself, I can name a couple of reasons, it seems like a rough sketch of a song really, there's no solo, some people believe he's just mumbling nonsense at parts and the lyrics aren't even there, and it seems strange it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else since 2000, not by Axl, not by the band, or that list that had Perhaps on it way before we knew that was a real title, SOG wasn't on that either. So I believe it's been abandoned, and seeing how much work has gone into it, I don't think it's far fetched at all that parts of it will then wind up on another song.

125 pages and not one second has been heard yet. This has to be a record for the most discussion about a song we have not heard. I bet other artists don’t get 125 pages for a brand new album lol. Man we are starved as a fan base. 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Don't be ridiculous. Of course songs can change from section to section, but the 'intro' part we've heard is over 4 minutes long and it doesn't fit anywhere in SOG. The vocals and guitar melodies we've heard sound nothing alike. Maybe SOG was abandoned, we have no idea, but it's far more likely that they're different songs rather than SOG being so heavily restructured into The General.

I don't think parts of The General are anywhere in the Village leaks, but I'd say there's a better chance it originated as Billionare than SOG. (It's not Billionare either, though.)

...the music for the live intro was very clearly a version specifically made to BE a long concert intro and not the actual version, that's why it's fucking 4 minutes long. Again we're going in circles because you're saying the parts of SOG don't fit anywhere in the very small part of a few seconds of the actual version of The General we've heard. I'm not saying it's definite, just that it's not as impossible as people make it seem that the two were combined or evolved from one another.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 minute ago, estrangedtwat said:

When did we first hear "Perhaps" mentioned as song title?

I don't remember ever hearing of it before the locker leaks.

It was on that email that leaked with the subject head CD2 with a bunch of song titles.