Power Trip rehearsal clip (and new drummer)

DoMw94

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Everything is shaping up to be very similar to the Rock Or Bust Tour - two deep cuts from that setlist rehearsed, stage is very similar, etc. 

Which makes sense because it's easier for them to use the RoB design instead of a new one for just one show.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

But let’s be honest, Chris Slade has the best hi-hat game of any AC/DC drummer. 

In AC/DC forum terms, he has a very tight and focused "x x x x" style hi-hat versus Phil's loose and groovy "X x X x" style and Simon's heavy handed "X X X X" style.

My guess is Laug will bring about a new style of AC/DC hi-hat with "x X x X" just to mix things up.

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Everything is shaping up to be very similar to the Rock Or Bust Tour - two deep cuts from that setlist rehearsed, stage is very similar, etc. 

Kind of funny that it's also starting Indio while once again having Phil being replaced despite playing on the album. It really is the second coming Rock Or Bust.

I'm rooting for Brian. He deserves this, and honestly, I think he'll sound as good as he needs to at 76.

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Just watched a few videos. Some seemed to be in standard tuning. In 2015 everything was tuned half step down for Brian. Im glad he is able to sing in standard tuning now!

Amazing setlist! Angus has a grey hair! Brian sounds fine! Would have loved to be there

4 hours ago, Kelmi said:

Just watched a few videos. Some seemed to be in standard tuning. In 2015 everything was tuned half step down for Brian. Im glad he is able to sing in standard tuning now!

Amazing setlist! Angus has a grey hair! Brian sounds fine! Would have loved to be there

What songs do you figure we're in standard? I've only listened to the first two songs which were a half-step down as usual (which, just as a minor correction, has been the case with Brian since 2008).

Brian sounds much better so far than the one off appearances. His struggles are made up for with enthusiasm, and his timing is so much better (with the exception of the Back In Black chorus. I think he's just having a hard time with the breathing on that).

• Thanks 1

I haven’t watched anything yet either. But worth noting this is the longest AC/DC show with Brian ever. I think the prior record was 20 songs, certainly not more. 

As for the setlist I can really only nitpick the Power Up songs. Would’ve liked one more, and while Shot In The Dark was a guarantee, I’d have preferred something else over Demon Fire. Other than that, no complaints. Plenty of rarities that got dug up for ROB stuck around (Including some that only got played with Axl), Stiff Upper Lip is a great surprise, first ever public performance of Riff Raff with Brian, and they’re still got The Jack missing from the set. Not much I can complain about there - great to see!

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I’ll try to recap what I’ve seen on stream and YouTube this morning:

- setlist: absolutely phenomenal. I’d have been happy with 16-17 songs, I thought 20 songs was the absolut maximum and then they’ll come out and play 24 songs, 2,5 hours. SUL was a great surprise, first time since 2003. Both Power Up songs worked well live I think. Good to see that RNRTrain is a staple still. 6/10 Back in Black songs. But if there’ll be a tour we shouldn’t expect this to be the standard.

- Brian: did a great job overall. He’s got his limitations and struggled on some songs as expected, especially on the BIB stuff. Didn’t help that they played some stuff (You shook me for example) in standard tuning. Needs to find a new way to approach his older songs imo if there’ll be a tour. Sounded especially good on Bon songs, for example Sin City stood out. If they’ll adapt the set (all in Eb Tuning, less songs from BIB), he rethinks his approach on some songs and maybe loses some pounds he’s tour ready.

- Angus: I worried the most about him tbh, since he hasn’t played live since 2017 and was rumored to have had a severe covid infection. Struggled on Thunderstruck but apart from that blew me away, played as good if not better than on ROB tour. Also looked good, I like that he goes for the grey hair now. Didn’t move as much as he used to obviously but then again he’s 68. tour ready.

- rhythm section: waaaaaay better than during ROB tour, mostly thanks to Matt Laug who did an incredible job. He’s got the groove like Phil and seems to have studied his playing a lot, as he did loads of fills like Phil did live and in the studio. I sadly habe my doubts that Phil could deliver a performance like this these days. Stevie also improved a lot, I already liked him during ROB but he sounded better now on Thunderstruck and TNT, his weaker songs back then. Cliff solid as always. All three tour ready.

- backing vocals: also a lot better than during ROB, where they were almost unlistenable at times. Even the more difficult stuff like RNRTrain or Shot in the dark was good. They (especially Stevie) practiced. Tour ready.

- stage: stack of Marshalls, only the bell and the cannons as props, Rosie now digital on screen, same with the SUL angus statue. But then this was just a festival show. If there’s a tour, we’ll probably see a special (power up) stage with maybe more props.

- fans: probably the only let down of the night. It’s a shame that their first show in 7 years and the big comeback of Brian was in front of a bunch of rich folks. No atmosphere at all sadly.

- highlights: If you want blood, Demon Fire, SUL, Shot in the dark, Sin City, Riff Raff, For those about to rock.

All in all a glorious comeback. More than I’d ever expected. I can absolutely see a small tour next year now, they are ready. Had a huge smile on my face all morning :D 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

Yeah 6 Back in Black songs is probably too many. It's funny how he's continued to adapt something like Thunderstruck to his current vocal abilities (ie. Shifting the melody in the second verse) but doesn't really do the same with the Back In Black stuff. I think that would make a huge difference.

Shot Down In Flames and Riff Raff are my favourites so far. Laug is clearly a Phil fan. He even played Thunderstruck with Phil's fills versus Slade's.

• Like 1

You're right, Brian sounded really good on everything that wasn't from Back in Black. Maybe he would need a couple of more shows to get his voice warmed up.

While it overall seemed to be a great show, but I don't see them touring tbh. At least not a 50+ date world tour. I'd love a final farewell, but not sure. I am sure however that the band will announce plans soon if they have any. Would be a bit random to just play this festival after their hiatus and then not do anything else.

Been out all day so only just catching up. Got If You Want Blood from last night playing and...

I was a massive Brian skeptic before this, but he's doing great!

I still doubt he could do a full tour, but what I've heard so far is decent, all things considered.

Edit: Okay, so Shoot To Thrill, not so much. But the guy's a hundred, a heavy smoker, has had serious hearing issues, and hasn't performed properly in years. I'd still give him a pass

Edited by DoMw94

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Just finished watching the show and this was my biggest takeaway.

I loved Axl-fronted AC/DC, but Brian's vibe on Saturday night? Priceless

Correct. Axl and Matt Laugh are the best examples that Angus can hire new musicians without turning AC/DC into a cover band. The show will go on as long as Angus and Stevie are present.

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1