Power Trip rehearsal clip (and new drummer)

DoMw94

Why would they rehearse with a different drummer and then bother to release a clip of it?

Slade had a stroke in 2021. He's back to playing with his Timeline band but if you listen to any recent clips I doubt he could do a full show anymore. I'm happy he's out there doing his thing (and glad I got to see him with the band), but it won't be him.

Simon isn't exactly busy right now so if those rumours were true he'd certainly be rehearsing with them. The AC/DC forum has a huge boner for Simon in the "Simon vs. Chris" debate and this certainly isn't the first time they've been wrong.

That said, it does seem quite out of character for AC/DC to take the "session guy" route, but all the same the whole "AXL/DC" era was completely out of character.

Well that’s disappointing… I’d say Brain probably sounds the best he can these days but the drums sound like Chris Slade on ROB all over again… no swing, no groove on the hi hat, nothing.. angus seems to be deaf when it comes to drumming 

13 hours ago, The Matinator said:

I hope Matt is just a temporary replacement for rehearsals. It be a shame not to grab Simon or Chris if Phil isn't avaliable.

Chris had a stroke recently and his playing is SEVERELY diminished. And that's after he took a lot of criticism for his performance in 2015-2016.

Simon was the rumor and he still sounds surprisingly good these days from recent clips I've heard. I'm happy for Laug though, Snakepit Mark II is a criminally underrated band.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Matt Laug is a great drummer with excellent swing. The drumming on Ain’t Life Grand was fantastic. I’m sure he’ll nail it.

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Matt Laug is a great drummer with excellent swing. The drumming on Ain’t Life Grand was fantastic. I’m sure he’ll nail it.

Absolutely, it took me a while to realise who he was..but he'll nail it, hopefully Brian is fine too, him and Axl doing something would be great 

• Like 1

I was pretty hyped for Power Trip when it was announced but for some reason, lost a lot of interest. Maybe its because Ozzy dropped off, but idk why I'd care so much considering he can barely perform. Plus, it is a pain in the ass getting to this location for only 2 bands a day. If this was at The Forum or Madison Square Garden over 2 nights, maybe it would have been better. I booked a motel when it was announced but just canceled it. I've seen all the acts playing except Judas Priest, anyways.

I think AC/DC is the big draw because of their past decade. At the same time, its really just a big deal because Brian gets a final go. I've seen them 3 times, and twice with Brian. The novelty of this festival is still fun, but losing Ozzy does hurt it. I think him canceling sums up my thoughts- its all a novelty and it'd be fun to see these acts all on the same bill, but it's 5-10 years too late for it. I hope everyone that goes has fun, though.

I did think GNR put on a pretty great show, this tour (although he seems to be having more vocal issues this week), Tool is incredible live, Maiden is probably still very good, and Metallica is always solid. Although I really liked "Firepower", I think Judas Priest is a dud on this lineup. They are awesome and legends, but they are missing both of their actual guitar players and are a theater band. I'd gladly go see them locally for $30-$50, but they don't have the star power Ozzy has. Even if his set would have sucked, having him on the bill with everyone else was cool and part of the draw. AC/DC is a wild card but also probably the most exciting band on the bill, right now.

Ah well, it'll be a fun festival for those that go.

Edited by ZoSoRose

16 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Chris had a stroke recently and his playing is SEVERELY diminished. And that's after he took a lot of criticism for his performance in 2015-2016.

Simon was the rumor and he still sounds surprisingly good these days from recent clips I've heard. I'm happy for Laug though, Snakepit Mark II is a criminally underrated band.

Oh shit.

Sucks to see your heroes get old. Chris has had a big influence on my playing.

• Sad 1

I have to say Brian actually sounds better there than I was expecting. Is it amazing? No. But he’s got more of the gravel in his voice than he’s had for some time, and his pitch is better than it’s been on any of his one-off outings since his hearing issues. But I’m glad to see they’re at least rehearsing one of the deep cuts they dusted off with Axl, it was a shame this one got played so little since Bon died. 

• Like 1

I went and snooped on an AC/DC forum after this, and I must say, all is forgiven with this place.

Here was me thinking the GN'R fanbase complained too much, but they operate at an Olympic standard compared to us 😂 How can fans of a rock band be so miserable and negative?

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

I went and snooped on an AC/DC forum after this, and I must say, all is forgiven with this place.

Here was me thinking the GN'R fanbase complained too much, but they operate at an Olympic standard compared to us 😂 How can fans of a rock band be so miserable and negative?

Now THAT is saying something! 😆

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Stones fans too, go read IORR sometime. GN’R fans are definitely the craziest, but not the most overly-critical. 

21 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I have to say Brian actually sounds better there than I was expecting. Is it amazing? No. But he’s got more of the gravel in his voice than he’s had for some time, and his pitch is better than it’s been on any of his one-off outings since his hearing issues. But I’m glad to see they’re at least rehearsing one of the deep cuts they dusted off with Axl, it was a shame this one got played so little since Bon died. 

That was my takeaway too. He seemed to have much more control over his voice then we heard at either the Taylor Hawkins tribute or when he joined Sam Fender a couple months ago. Very promising, and certainly strong enough for what I'd expect him to sound like a nearly 76. As long as they are smart about the song tempos and the pacing of the set I think he'll be fine.

It was also a pleasant surprise to hear them just going for E-flat tuning. I thought for sure they'd be going down a full step this time around for Brian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, James Bond said:

That was my takeaway too. He seemed to have much more control over his voice then we heard at either the Taylor Hawkins tribute or when he joined Sam Fender a couple months ago. Very promising, and certainly strong enough for what I'd expect him to sound like a nearly 76. As long as they are smart about the song tempos and the pacing of the set I think he'll be fine.

It was also a pleasant surprise to hear them just going for E-flat tuning. I thought for sure they'd be going down a full step this time around for Brian.

I think they'll play a version of the RoB tour setlist. Most of the RoB tunes will probably replaced with songs from the new album (Realize, Shot in the Dark, Demon Fire).

• 2 weeks later...