Singles VS New Album

Is getting two singles at a time, until we get enough material for an album, as satisfactory as getting a whole new album at once?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's say we continue to get these singles little by little, two at a time, like we've been getting, til we get like 10-12 singles. Would that be as satisfactory to GnR fans as if we got a whole new album, at once? Would you prefer an album, even if that meant more waiting?

If it's CD leftovers, just put them all out at once. The only people who care are fine with waiting, it's already been 20+ years so what's a few more?

A new album where Axl has to write 8-12 songs worth of new lyrics? Not in his lifetime...

At this point I think the best case scenario would be a couple short albums: 8~ CD leftovers, and another album with 8~ cover songs. At most, maybe they can scrap together an EP's worth of actual new songs after that (with Duff probably singing a couple songs). I'd like to be wrong, but Axl won't suddenly becoming productive at this stage...

From what we have seen, the band hasn't really done anything from a creative output standpoint for almost 20 years, which was the Buckethead era of the band, with actual new songs, Sorry, Better, Scraped, The General, etc. (As opposed to slightly older songs, like The Blues, Madagascar, etc.)

I don't believe anything of significance exists post Bucket, with Axl vocals.

So, if they have a completed CD2, which I believe they have had since 2006-2009, they are going to milk it as long as they can.

The post Bucket, 2006-2014 lineup was more than capable musically and in my opinion creatively, of writing and recording new music, but it didn't happen on any large scale that we are aware of.

The best thing NITL has going for it is name recognition of the players. If Slash, Duff, and Axl come up with an actual new album, or EP, even if the quality is ok at best, it will still sell well because of the name alone.

It would be ironic if the last Guns album is a re-worked CD2. I really, really hope that isn't the case. Slash has released some incredible material outside of Guns, post the GN'R era he was originally part of, some of the VR stuff, and some of his solo stuff, is amazing. I'm not sure if he is capable of that anymore, but I sure hope so. Maybe the pressure with being back with GN'R will inspire him to write better songs than he has with Myles. Imagine a 1996-2010 Axl Rose on some of Slash's best work post his original time with Guns. It can happen, but will it? I hope it does.

From this point forward, with the current situation in mind, the best album to me, would be a double album, with CD2-CD3 material as it existed with Bucket and Robin, along with a dozen or more actual new songs with the NITL lineup, and some of their best covers. Mix up the CD era songs with the new stuff between the albums. Call the first one Guns N' Roses, then the other one Guns N' Roses II.

Chinese leftovers? I like as singles. An album is a statement piece. CD2 isn’t the statement this band needs or should make. As singles the songs are fine and harmless. In a perfect world we’d get a few more proper singles like Perhaps with B-sides over the next year or two. We get to eat and put this whole era to bed. We also get to ride the lightning bolt just a bit longer. 

I feel a full on new album would sort of be the nuclear option to drum up tour hype. I’m not sure there is much left in the well for any of them to bring something cool to the table. I also don’t see it happening because of Axl and they don’t really seem to need any extra help moving tickets. 

At the very least, Guns probably had at least a dozen songs (I believe several more) finished and intended for CD2 from 2008-2014.

Since 2021, we have gotten an average of one song a year with the gap between 2021 (Absurd and Hard Skool) and 2023 with Perhaps, and soon The General.

So if they up the effort a little, and manage to squeeze out 2 singles a year, they can do this for 5 more years or so before putting out a compilation album with these singles collected, with a new song or two. That's lame, IMO. 

Even if they somehow get a record out in the next few years, I don't expect Absurd and Hard Skool to be on it, at least not the mixes we got on the "EP" or whatever the fuck that release is. Perhaps and The General are more realistic, as they are mixed far better and mastered by a pro. 

Perhaps and TG only being on vinyl as physical gives me hope they intent to put something out of more significance later this year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

Chinese leftovers? I like as singles. An album is a statement piece. CD2 isn’t the statement this band needs or should make. As singles the songs are fine and harmless.

I agree. If we're talking about the rehashed CD era songs, I prefer the singles approach as well, but provided that they are released in a more timely fashion, e.g. a single every two or three months, and not every couple of years, lol. Waiting two years for one song is too much.

• Like 3

Both. It may essentially be like with CD. We'll have known some of the songs by then, but there'll be a couple of new (I mean previously unheard) tunes as well. That would be a good solution. Putting absolutely everything out as singles and then just releasing it all in a single package without any added value would be weird and probably not too economical either.