What’s the most successful single released by GNR in this century?

I’m curious your thoughts on their most successful single. As far as I know CD had 3 singles, and then SOYL, Absurd, Hardskool, and Perhaps. Perhaps has 4.5 million views on YouTube, but it’s also the only one with a real music video. CD was over a decade in the making and I feel like it was fairly popular on rock radio when it was released. I personally like Better the most, but I’ve never heard it on the radio. I think it’s the only one I haven’t heard. 

I love GNR, my favourite band and have been since I discovered them in ‘04 but have they even had a successful single since the early 90s? Nothing has hit the single charts or radio play like they did in the Illusion or Appetite eras.

The only single I remember making any sort of “impact” was CD around when the album was being released. Since then I would say Perhaps did okay on the Apple chart but “successful”…? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

That probably depends on how we measure success. In today's day and age streams are a pretty important way of measuring success. According to Spotify This I Love is the most streamed (successful) GNR song from this century. Of course This I Love wasn't a single as far as I know. The most streamed GNR single on Spotify from this century is Better.

The problem with measuring success based on streams is obviously the fact that older songs always have a head start. It's almost impossible for brand new songs to have more streams than older songs cause people have been streaming the old songs for years. So you can't really compare the new songs to the older songs based on streams. Only time will tell if Hard Skool or Perhaps will surpass Better and This I Love some day.

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 2

4 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

That probably depends on how we measure success. In today's day and age streams are a pretty important way of measuring success. According to Spotify This I Love is the most streamed (successful) GNR song from this century. Of course This I Love wasn't a single as far as I know. The most streamed GNR single on Spotify from this century is Better.

The problem with measuring success based on streams is obviously the fact that older songs always have a head start. It's almost impossible for brand new songs to have more streams than older songs cause people have been streaming the old songs for years. So you can't really compare the new songs to the older songs based on streams. Only time will tell if Hard Skool or Perhaps will surpass Better and This I Love some day.

Good points. I believe if Better had a video it would probably be the winner. They didn’t do anything to capitalize on the buzz that was created around the time of its release. I’m Boeing the general lives up to the hype I’ve build up in my mind over the years and ends up being huge! I seriously doubt that will be the case, but there’s always hope lol

Better. I’ve heard it twice over the past 5 years. Once was because everyone on this forum voted for it to get played on the biggest rock station in my state, and once a year or two after that it got played during a block of Guns n Roses songs. Outside of that, I heard Perhaps once on a small rock station that probably 5 people listen to.

Edit: I actually forgot about shadow of your love. That actually got quite a bit of airplay around here for a week or two after it was released before fading into oblivion

Edited by liers

4 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Better. A perfect nuGuns song. Perfect for the masses and the die hards. Should’ve been the lead single and handled better. 

:lol: after 15 years I still have to meet somebody outside of the gnr forums who knows this song. Perfect for the masses but the masses do not know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

:lol: after 15 years I still have to meet somebody outside of the gnr forums who knows this song. Perfect for the masses but the masses do not know.

It was a botched single release. No Axl promotion, the music video was canned. The whole thing was a mess, if that song and the album were properly promoted and released Better could’ve been much more mainstream. 

11 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Didn't know Shadow of Your Love is a brand new single.

I raised my eyebrows at that too. SOYL is a cut song from Appetite For Destruction's album. IIRC, SOYL was canned so Think  About You could be on the album.  A LOT of Fans were like,"What the hell? SOYL is a much better song than TAY, and it should have been the other way around."

Edited by Karice
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Karice said:

I raised my eyebrows at that too. SOYL is a cut song from Appetite For Destruction's album. IIRC, SOYL was canned so Think Of You could be on the album.  A LOT of Fans were like,"What the hell? SOYL is a much better song than TOY, and it should have been the other way around."

Think About You*

7 hours ago, Illusion1987 said:

Better is a top 10 GNR  "single" type song of all  time.

I really believe had that been the first single off of CD, things would have gone way differently for that album.

Chinese Democracy was a horrible choice for a lead off single. 

Better and Street of Dreams was the obvious 1..2 but Axl....

And they didn't even bother to make a radio edit for the song. So lazy. Like radio in the UK were going to play a minute of ambient noise before the song kicks in. I've seen people suggest it was artistic statement, as if Axl specifically wanted the minute long opening to be heard on radios around the world. No, the label just picked the song as is and put it out as a single. Axl had nothing to do with it and had disappeared by Oct 2008.