THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

8 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure why people say it's overproduced. Those songs don't have layers and layers like CD songs, its much simpler. 

What I find amusing is that people honestly think Slash can't play this stuff. Wonder if they payed any attention to Paradise City's outro solo. That shit is crazy and it's very hard (and tiring) to play.

Axl used distortion in Estranged too, the part "I don't know how you're supposed to find me lately..". 

And of course in Oh my god... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miden34 said:

GREAT song. and i agree :)

And what's especially cool about Live By The Sword is that it's a reunion of classic Stones with Charlie Watts on drums BillWyman on bass. You can hear on the groove of this song what made Stones unique.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

But it was never confirmed that Me and My Elvis was Soul Monster. That was just a conclusion that fans jumped into because of "Elvis" in the title.

He was the co-producer (alongside with Axl), but not the mixer. According to the official credits, Perhaps was mixed by Joe Barresi.

Yes....and I suspect that probably was a Duff recommendation due to Joe's work with Alice In Chains and particularly Jerry Cantrell, whom Duff is obviously close with. Also I suspect Jerry has done The General too...he's worked a lot with Tool and the mixing of their style has shades on these tracks for me....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

My take on The General and the usage of distortion is to create that buried down sound. Like you’re screaming for help and no one can hear

That was what I took from it, even upon first listening. I think its intentional that Axl is wailing and he's very distressed and discernable. I think that's the point of the song.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

Slash wasn't in the band in early 2000's and this recording is clearly not from 2016 or after

... i know the WHOLE history of the band but people who are assuming its slash because he is in the rest of the song, that the chorus is thus slash. i would LOVE if its an old demo.. but its hard to deny its slash on the song

3 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

Slash wasn't in the band in early 2000's and this recording is clearly not from 2016 or after

that guitar in the beginning is 1000% slash. so the assumption is the rest is too

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Headphone listen for The Gen:

Currently digging that talkbox wah thing Slash does at 3.15 on the hip hop breakdown on The General. 

Solo at 4 minutes really sounds Bucketish. Slash has excelled himself on this.

And Duff isn't getting many mentions but the bass is quite funky in The General. 

Those Beltrami sweeps in the intro. So great to have this in context after 27 years of hearing the classic show intro. The screeching high pitched strings in the bridge! 

Brain. What is there to say. The drum rolls at the end of each chorus. Followed by Duffs hip hop bass. 

I hear a sitar sounding keyboard effect in verse two. 

I wonder who we have on the rhythm parts. I really wouldn't be surprised if there's some Robin still here. 

The last solo though ... Dare I say Bucket?

The last solo is 100% Slash. It's got the classic Slash-style legato runs and vibrato. Buckethead's legato runs have a distinct sound to them and that isn't there on this solo. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

5 minutes ago, djtripp20 said:

I take back what I said about the chorus of Monsters being added after the cell clip leaked. Went back and listened today and could faintly hear it. Never noticed it before but it's one of those things you can't unhear now. 

I’ve been doing the same, it’s hilarious how far off everyone was with the lyrics too