THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 minute ago, Nick85 said:

I really wish we didn’t have to wait for a hypothetical tour in 2025 for Atlas Shrugged and Monsters, but I’m sure that’s exactly what will happen.

Thank God for the Village Leaks. The best thing to have happened since the 2008 Guns N' Roses release. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I said it earlier in the thread, but I’m sort of done harping on what I wish they did with “The General” versus just enjoying the song for what it is. Obviously, that doesn’t mean people have to pretend to like it. I dig it.

Mostly, I wish this band would keep tracks like “The General” and “Absurd” for a full-length album or for a bonus disc EP to an accompanying album. They’d do themselves more favors releasing groovier, poppier songs that are more palatable for the majority of the fan base. “Perhaps” was pretty well received, with the harshest criticism probably being that it’s an “old Axl song.” Or from people who are in love with the locker leak. “Hard Skool” sounds like Guns N’ Roses.

Or, you know … maybe if there was more cohesion with their releases. The weirder or experimental stuff can be the B sides., released SAME TIME as the “lead” single. “The General” as a B side to “Monsters.” “Hard Skool” as a B side to “Perhaps.” “Absurd” as a B side to “Atlas Shrugged.”

Other than Hard Skool being a B Side, I completely agree. Hard Skool definitely had single and air time potential. Hard Skool, Perhaps & Monsters would be been a great selection of singles for an 8 track EP of CD leftovers. I haven't listened to Atlas enough to make an opinion on that.

22 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Imagine if we had a follow-up album as artistically brilliant as the 2008 album (so CD2, call it 12-15 songs) but mixed and mastered as great as TSI.

Keep Buckethead and Robin in the tracks, and you have one of the greatest albums of all time right there. 

As much as I like the Reunion versions, I can't help but wish for final versions with Bucket, Brain & Robin. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, invisible_rose said:

Other than Hard Skool being a B Side, I completely agree. Hard Skool definitely had single and air time potential. Hard Skool, Perhaps & Monsters would be been a great selection of singles for an 8 track EP of CD leftovers. I haven't listened to Atlas enough to make an opinion on that.

As much as I like the Reunion versions, I can't help but wish for final versions with Bucket, Brain & Robin. 

Atlas, State of Grace and whatever else had finished vocals (Berlin/Oklahoma, Seven?) could make for a decent album that they could theoretically have already put out with Slash and Duff added in. 

I also wouldn’t mind hearing the pre NITL versions if they leak. Some of CD was really good, if not exactly GnR to me. CD, CITR and The Blues from the Village Leaks are pretty cool, and I like Shackler’s, Madagascar, TWAT and Prostitute from the official release.

• Like 1

We're living in a time I start to like Tracii Guns his solo's more than Slash's. Wtf is going on lol.

Maybe Slash will prove me wrong on his new "more blues oriented" solo album. I'm starting to give up on Guns N Roses and looking forward to their solo efforts.

The General is a real anti climax. All this anticipation for nothing. Time to close this chapter and move on.

Copy pasting Duff and Slash on CD era songs doesn't work. They have to start over, but Axl probably doesn't want to.

Edited by Lethalis

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Imagine if we had a follow-up album as artistically brilliant as the 2008 album (so CD2, call it 12-15 songs) but mixed and mastered as great as TSI.

Keep Buckethead and Robin in the tracks, and you have one of the greatest albums of all time right there. 

I love this forum sometimes :lol:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

We're living in a time I start to like Tracii Guns his solo's more than Slash's. Wtf is going on lol.

Maybe Slash will prove me wrong on his new "more blues oriented" solo album. I'm starting to give up on Guns N Roses and looking forward to their solo efforts.

The General is a real anti climax. All this anticipation for nothing. Time to close this chapter and move on.

Copy pasting Duff and Slash on CD era songs doesn't work. They have to start over, but Axl probably doesn't want to.

problem is they evolved, you didn't

10 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

problem is they evolved, you didn't

I disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with a band keeping their sound or changing it. It all just comes down to the song writing. I love Chinese Democracy and AfD and those could not be more different. I love 70s and 80s Rush and the band changed a lot between decades. I love the new Stone's album even though it doesn't mix up their formula. Who cares if a band "evolves" or not? If the ideas and songs are good, that is all that matters. 

The General is not a masterpiece to say the least. I like it for what it is, and I like that I was at its live debut, but it is a jarring, repetitive song that sounds unfinished. I am not surprised the general reaction outside the forum is negative. Preferences are personal, so it is cool for people to love the track, but it is dumb to say people don't like it because they did not evolve. People just don't think it is a good song. :shrugs:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with a band keeping their sound or changing it. It all just comes down to the song writing. I love Chinese Democracy and AfD and those could not be more different. I love 70s and 80s Rush and the band changed a lot between decades. I love the new Stone's album even though it doesn't mix up their formula. Who cares if a band "evolves" or not? If the ideas and songs are good, that is all that matters. 

The General is not a masterpiece to say the least. I like it for what it is, and I like that I was at its live debut, but it is a jarring, repetitive song that sounds unfinished. I am not surprised the general reaction outside the forum is negative. Preferences are personal, so it is cool for people to love the track, but it is dumb to say people don't like it because they did not evolve. People just don't think it is a good song. :shrugs:

The road to The General is a lot of things, but certainly no evolution. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

The road to The General is a lot of things, but certainly no evolution. lol

I record tons of guitar noodles, riffs, song bones at home. They don't ever go anywhere. I am not even good, and I have come up with stuff a lot better than The General's three basic parts. Anyone can. It is those three basic sections that repeat.

Now, I am no GNR. I am just a home dwelling amateur guitar player. So, my junk doesn't get orchestra, Brain on drums, a Slash solo, or Axl screams. So that is something going for The General. :lol:

Brain kind of told us what the song would be. He wrote it quickly with some buddies. It isn't an evolution, it is a basic idea of a song imo

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

Gotta love these personal attacks.

I'll listen to some nice new music that doesn't sound like shit in the meantime.

not an attack, we're talking about tastes here, right?
or I'm missing something maybe? 

so yeah, these musicians called GNR don't want to do the exact kind of music they've done when they're 20 years old and it's not 1987 anymore. it's called evolving. 

you in the meantime, you still prefer this eighties kind of music, and apparently only this.
good for you but since they don't do that since 20 years, why are you still here complaining?
this won't change back now.

I prefered the first version of my post, less words, same meaning.

4 hours ago, drlaban said:

If Monsters is Better than The General, Monsters should be an A-side.

Quite valid… however, it seems they went with “Perhaps” as lead single cause of the whole magic 8-ball schtick… but, I’m sure some cool artwork/themes could’ve came out of “Monsters” had it been the A-side (especially with Slash’s input.) :shrugs:

20 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

who said it's wrong? but it is the case.

if "you" don't like GNR music since CD, good for "you" (I say "you" in a general sense, not especially you), but maybe it's time to move on and find another band for you (I suggest ACDC)

• PERHAPS 1

3 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

you in the meantime, you still prefer this eighties kind of music, and apparently only this.

I listen to a lot of different styles of music actually. Everything from Chuck Berry to Nine Inch Nails.

New Guns stuff is missing something.

1 minute ago, DeNfr said:

who said it's wrong? but it is the case.

if "you" don't like GNR music since CD, good for "you" (I say "you" in a general sense, not especially you), but maybe it's time to move on and find another band for you (I suggest ACDC)

I've made my opinion on the reunion songs pretty well- known on here- I like them*

I also do enjoy AC/DC, but I don't listen to their new stuff all that much. It is okay for what it is, too. If AC/DC came out with a new album with quality songs like Live Wire, Touch Too Much, Soul Stripper, etc., I would be happy with that. 

As I said, it is about the songwriting for me. Not the band's "sound"

*I like them from the lens of them being CD leftovers that didn't make the cut. Monsters is the only one that I find top tier

• Like 1

Just now, Lethalis said:

I listen to a lot of different styles of music actually. Everything from Chuck Berry to Nine Inch Nails.

New Guns stuff is missing something.

it missing something for you then, fine, find something else more adequate to your taste 

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

As I said, it is about the songwriting for me. Not the band's "sound"

*I like them from the lens of them being CD leftovers that didn't make the cut. Monsters is the only one that I find top tier

they are not "leftovers", they are tracks who weren't finished at the time of CD.
it's not a question of quality or whatever, just the ones who weren't finished.

about the songwriting, maybe you'll be happier with fresh music by Slash & Duff, since they don't write music like Buckethead Huge or Finck. but it's a gamble...

2 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

it missing something for you then, fine, find something else more adequate to your taste 

I'm already doing that. Listening to bands like Royal Blood, The Rolling Stones, Goodbye June, Dirty Honey, Ayron Jones, etc.

It's time to let go of Guns N Roses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

they are not "leftovers", they are tracks who weren't finished at the time of CD.
it's not a question of quality or whatever, just the ones who weren't finished.

about the songwriting, maybe you'll be happier with fresh music by Slash & Duff, since they don't write music like Buckethead Huge or Finck. but it's a gamble...

The problem is not Finck, Bucket, Slash or Duff.

It's Axl.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 2