THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

42 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I don't believe anything from that era with them on will ever be released under any circumstances unless it's a tiny clip on a song like the Perhaps thing. Only way I could ever see a full song happening would be if Slash left and Fink or Bucket came back. I would be stunned if there was a CD anniversary release, although would obviously be happy if there was.

I could see it going either way. Of course, I'm hoping for an official release. I believe even Fernando knows they could have a digital only, or better yet, a fancy Chinese Democracy flash drive full of the CD-era stuff (sort of like what they did with the AFD anniversary release) and sell it for a few hundred dollars on the Guns site exclusively and make bank. It would be even cooler if they made it a multi-CD set with the alt artwork, some reading material, photos, etc. That deluxe box would be great. I'd buy three! One for me to open and play with, one to keep sealed, and the other for my dad. 

The above fantasy probably wouldn't occur until after the squeezing out as many CD leftovers with NITL shitting over them is over. So probably not before 2028 anyway since that's the 20th anniversary. 

It would also provide an opportunity to release some of the CD bonus and remix material. 

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

I mean I would like to hear them but I'm not so disillusioned to think that the band is going to officially release them. That period is over. Slash is back in the band and as long as he is there anything official that the band releases is going to involve him and Duff. Not Bucket and Robin.

No, I agree it’ll likely never be officially released. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting to hear it for the reasons I stated above. Can just hope for more leaks someday. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I could see it going either way. Of course, I'm hoping for an official release. I believe even Fernando knows they could have a digital only, or better yet, a fancy Chinese Democracy flash drive full of the CD-era stuff (sort of like what they did with the AFD anniversary release) and sell it for a few hundred dollars on the Guns site exclusively and make bank. It would be even cooler if they made it a multi-CD set with the alt artwork, some reading material, photos, etc. That deluxe box would be great. I'd buy three! One for me to open and play with, one to keep sealed, and the other for my dad. 

The above fantasy probably wouldn't occur until after the squeezing out as many CD leftovers with NITL shitting over them is over. So probably not before 2028 anyway since that's the 20th anniversary. 

It would also provide an opportunity to release some of the CD bonus and remix material. 

That would be amazing, but there is more chance they will sell GN'R branded bottle openers or drinking coasters instead.

More likely we would hear that stuff through leaks someday (depending on who has them). Time to start searching them storage lockers again :lol:

• Haha 1

I don't see why it's so unlikely future material will feature Robin or Bucket? I don't mean taking a lead solo but a rhythm part maybe or a lick here and there. 

Look at The General credits, 22ish year old rhythm guitar part from the co-writer, Chris Pitmans keys still on it...

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

No, I agree it’ll likely never be officially released. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting to hear it for the reasons I stated above. Can just hope for more leaks someday. 

Yeah, but you don't post it daily for every occasion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jwalker19 said:

I've heard people talking about the frog noises on The General ever since the song came out. I've listened to the song so many times and never once heard them. I thought about asking on here where exactly they are, but decided not to and chalked it up to people being delusional. Today, on the way home from grabbing a pizza, I naturally heard the frog noises for the first time ever and am legitimately hyped. 🤣

I grew up near a swamp, so I'm very familiar :P 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jwalker19 said:

I've heard people talking about the frog noises on The General ever since the song came out. I've listened to the song so many times and never once heard them. I thought about asking on here where exactly they are, but decided not to and chalked it up to people being delusional. Today, on the way home from grabbing a pizza, I naturally heard the frog noises for the first time ever and am legitimately hyped. 🤣

I like the frog noises, it's not bad. Don't understand why is in the song, but don't dislike it.

I hope that Guns N' Roses release some songs with the actual line up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, axljungle said:

I like the frog noises, it's not bad. Don't understand why is in the song, but don't dislike it.

Could it be a nod to Black Frog? I think someone else mentioned that shortly after the leak.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Could it be a nod to Black Frog? I think someone else mentioned that shortly after the leak.

I can't recall off the top of my head when he started Black Frog but I think work on The General started before that. Maybe he had frogs in the garden as a kid or something.

I imagine Pittman was sent into a swamp with a porta studio to sample them as Axl and Fink n Brain sat waiting in a car before they sped off and left him... Bucket probably mooned him out of the sunroof as they sped off into the night.

He's probably still there now....

poor bastard...

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I can't recall off the top of my head when he started Black Frog but I think work on The General started before that. Maybe he had frogs in the garden as a kid or something.

Black Frog was founded in 1998 - that was when NuGnR started existing as a business.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Black Frog was founded in 1998 - that was when NuGnR started existing as a business.

One day we are going to find out that you are actually @Dexter :P

Don't worry i won't break your cover or anything

Edited by Rindmelon
Reaction to Dexters Absurd reaction....I means Blackstars
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • ABSUЯD 1
  • PERHAPS 1

On 1/9/2024 at 3:34 AM, bmus1 said:

Monsters sounds super unfinished after listening really closely. Drum machines, synthetic vocals, and sloppy guitar galore.

Chinese as an album is finished with drum machines, Monsters is finished 

Vocals seem to mean fuck all, have you heard The General?

• Haha 1

Listening to The General again, and man I hate how abruptly it just ends. I think a rolling guitar solo similar to TWAT could have really saved it. It feels so incomplete. Which is hilarious given the 20+ years Axl had to flesh it out. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Listening to The General again, and man I hate how abruptly it just ends. I think a rolling guitar solo similar to TWAT could have really saved it. It feels so incomplete. Which is hilarious given the 20+ years Axl had to flesh it out. 

It is possible such a version exists. Maybe the Bucket and/or Robin version was longer, like with Robin’s guitars on Hardschool. The long drum and guitar intro to HS was nice. Then it was replaced with the Duff bass and school bell. Such cringe. I can barely listen to the official version now.

After the official release of The General, and presuming the Monsters leak is going to be the final version or close to it, it’s possible the vocal take we heard on the State Of Grace leak will be final. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:56 AM, Jwalker19 said:

I had a similar experience with STP. A friend was telling me for years about the owls in Sour Girl. Finally one day I'm driving and could suddenly hear them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sledge said:

I had a similar experience with STP. A friend was telling me for years about the owls in Sour Girl. Finally one day I'm driving and could suddenly hear them.

That's so wild. I'm a big STP/Scott fan and have never heard those either. I'll definitely be on the listen!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nick85 said:

I like the song a lot, but definitely agree about how it ends...it just dies 

It should have had a big ending, or just something better

We've almost 250 pages to a song that basically only 10 people like  🤣 

Edited by DSTK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

You know what would be cool? Getting the instrumentals Marco Beltrami was supplied with. Thyme, Leave Me Alone (presumably Monsters), The General, and Seven. They all likely have Robin and Bucket on them. Getting those 4 instrumentals after his work was added would be even cooler.

He's a professional, and assuming he still has copies of the work, which is probable, I highly doubt he would put his career on the line by sharing/selling/leaking such material.