Do you ever feel foolish spending money on GnR?

Do you feel like GnR fucks their fans over with "exclusives" that aren't actually exclusive at all?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’ve certainly felt burned before with GNR merch. Ripoff Nightrain membership for presale code to ONE stinkin’ show that didn’t net me better tickets than my Citi presale, for example. Just the way they let whoever runs their site treat fans like trash. And the Nightrain merch has almost always been such poor quality.

Another thing, I was REALLY pissed at pit prices for the show at Wrigley this year. Higher than ever. I think I paid $400+ and I fuckin’ KNEW if I waited, there’d probably be a very good chance I’d be able to cop for much cheaper due to Suckmaster’s dynamic pricing bullshit. But since I care so much about seeing GNR and never wanna miss a show, I didn’t wanna risk it. 

Those are the only times I’ve felt hot. But I get my money’s worth at the live shows. It sounds privileged to say I don’t care what it costs … Nothing lasts forever. The band won’t tour in perpetuity. They have been the soundtrack of my life since I was 10 years old. I am gonna see them every chance I get, and I proudly wear my GNR-related stuff. I don’t think I’ll ever have this type of connection with any band ever again. 

• Like 3

On 11/30/2023 at 2:59 PM, username said:

Might seem like an odd question for some, but it really annoys me that the whole Perhaps/The General thing was presented as vinyl-exclusive. But then when everyone has ordered the vinyl they still announce a CD version (Japen only, but still) and now all signs are pointing towards it turning up on Spotify soon. Which means that GnR is blatently lying to their fanbase about "exclusives" just to sell more crap. That doesn't sit right with me. Anybody feel similar? 

It was never presented as vinyl exclusive.  They never once said it would be vinyl exclusive, they never hinted at it. Nothing. This was just some insane theory people here came up with. The only person to blame for believing it is yourself 

7 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

…. But since I care so much about seeing GNR and never wanna miss a show, I didn’t wanna risk it. 

…..But I get my money’s worth at the live shows. It sounds privileged to say I don’t care what it costs … Nothing lasts forever. The band won’t tour in perpetuity. They have been the soundtrack of my life since I was 10 years old. I am gonna see them every chance I get, and I proudly wear my GNR-related stuff. I don’t think I’ll ever have this type of connection with any band ever again. 

This ❤️

Last thing GNR I spend money on that was not a concert ticket was the album Chinese Democracy.

Everything after was either old wine in new bottles (box sets) or too little too late (CD leftovers).

I'm not interested in single song releases or any of that trash merchandise. I'm into albums and concerts.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, Draguns said:

There is personal responsibility.  If you KNOW you can't afford something, why go out and buy it? My employer published an article on how Americans making $150,000 are living paycheck to paycheck. When I read that article, I was thinking that some people need to cut down on their expenses if they are making that much money. 

My father had two jobs. He was a machinist and janitor. He was the sole breadwinner of a family of four. Additionally, he had to deal with a child that was born with a disability (me). Even with two jobs, my brother and I figured out that we were living close to the poverty line. Yet, he was  able to save money because he made sacrifices. He also put my brother and I through college if there were costs that were not covered by scholarships. 

I don't feel badly for this guy, especially since he made a joke about people with disabilities in a previous thread and now whining about $15. 

Life is different now. That comparison is pointless. 

4 hours ago, Silence said:

Life is different now. That comparison is pointless. 

Not really. Point is a guy with a high school level education from a different country is able to make it even though he's supported three other people at close to poverty level. One of which the three people he's supported was born with multiple physical disabilities. 

You just don't want to hear it that it's relevant to today.

I don't regret a single dollar I've spent on the band, with the exception of buying a Nightrain membership to make sure I wouldn't miss out on tickets when they added the second MetLife show in 2016....Ended up buying tickets during the Nightrain exclusive onsale that ended being way more expensive than way better seats when the show sold horribly. But I've seen em twice, once on the UCAP Tour and once on Not In This Lifetime, and felt totally satisfied. It's been a while, so I'd probably be happy to see em again regardless of everything else, but with the Stones, Bruce, and possibly AC/DC making the rounds coming up, my concert budget will likely be spoken for.

And I'm not paying for any of these gimmick releases, for GNR or any other band. Put out an album and I'll buy it, but not overpaying for collectibles to get to hear The General a month early. Can't feel foolish about spending money I never spent.

10 hours ago, Draguns said:

Not really. Point is a guy with a high school level education from a different country is able to make it even though he's supported three other people at close to poverty level. One of which the three people he's supported was born with multiple physical disabilities. 

You just don't want to hear it that it's relevant to today.

Using your father’s income as an example is a poor one. 60% of people in the US live paycheck to paycheck regardless of income. Its a consumer culture. 

1 hour ago, Silence said:

Using your father’s income as an example is a poor one. 60% of people in the US live paycheck to paycheck regardless of income. Its a consumer culture. 

Some of those people have a choice to cut spending. Most do not cut spending. If you cannot live with a $150,000  salary in this area, I don't know what I can tell you.  You are making more than enough money. 

Some people like my father didn't have a choice. He kept working and work. His hard work paid off for us as a family. If my father can make it as someone who came from a foreign country, working two jobs, saving money when he can, dealing with a son that has multiple disabilities, and putting two kids through college then others can do so as well if you making the correct choices in life. I'm sorry you feel that way that my father is a poor example. I beg to differ on that. 

Anyway, I really don't want to debate this since you think my example is a poor choice. I feel very strongly about this. Have a great night!

Edited by Draguns