Do you ever feel foolish spending money on GnR?

Do you feel like GnR fucks their fans over with "exclusives" that aren't actually exclusive at all?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

if you think the band is shit then maybe people should stop spending their time and money in general on them and find other hobbies? i don't understand the obsession on shitting on something you don't like anyway and then complain about it on a fan forum. it's like me buying a taylor swift album and then complaining on a fan forum how shit the music and the merch is

That's not the issue. Some people have less to spend than others, so for some $15 might be a lot of money. And then there's shipping too. So people might spend their money on this thinking it's the only way to get it, only to discover later they didn't have to because it's put on streaming anyway. None of that has anything to do with thinking the band is shit or not. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, VampireSoul said:

My parents unwillingly spent 400usd on a big spaghetti incident poster in 1994. There was a competition, where you left answering machine messages about your favorite band on a radioshows number. Needless to say, I called a few times and parents got a 400+ phone bill. But I got my poster and a whoopin' 😂

That reminds me of what happened with Miss Cleo in the late 90's and VERY early 2000's. 🤣😏 Lots of kids and teenagers were inadvertently running up huge phone bills for their parents and other relatives, actually believing Miss Cleo was a real psychic! 🤭🤣 I was a kid myself and inadvertently ran up my Aunt's phone bill calling Miss Cleo. 🤭🤣 Although I didn't get a whooping for that, I did get a VERY serious talking to never ever call a Psychic again. My Dad paid my Aunt the money to cover the phone bill saying something like,"Karice is my Daughter and only 12 and didn't know any better. She's my responsibility, so I'll give you the money to pay the phone bill." I remember another Poster on YouTube saying he called Miss Cleo in the late 90's and was only 13 and claimed he was 27., and used a deep voice! 🤣🤭They took a long time "Shuffling the cards and he got suspicious and hung up. His Mother whooped him for running up her phone bill, calling a Psychic! Another Poster said she actually lived in a different COUNTRY than the USA, and tried to call Miss Cleo, but the phone never connected, and as a child, she was upset, but as an Adult, she realized that phone bill would have been VERY expensive had it connected and she thanked her lucky stars that it never connected! 🤣🤭

2 hours ago, username said:

That's not the issue. Some people have less to spend than others, so for some $15 might be a lot of money. And then there's shipping too. So people might spend their money on this thinking it's the only way to get it, only to discover later they didn't have to because it's put on streaming anyway. None of that has anything to do with thinking the band is shit or not. 

They could have just waited to see if it would be released elsewhere. The didn't have to buy it immediately. 

4 hours ago, username said:

Whose fault is that? If you can't afford $15 for a record, why are you even buying it to begin with? If you have other responsibilities or  expenses shouldn't you take care of that first before anything else?

I broke my foot in mid August. I'm currently on disability leave from work. I'm not getting a full paycheck. My childhood friend wants to go see Iron Maiden for the second time. I told him no for now since we saw them last year and I'm not getting a full paycheck at the moment. I have expenses to pay.  That's my priority first and foremost until I'm able to go back to work. 

If you can't afford $15 then you shouldn't be buying something that you may not need. Additionally, you should know your priorities. GNR nor any other bands can do that for you. Neither can a  fan message board. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

if you think the band is shit then maybe people should stop spending their time and money in general on them and find other hobbies? i don't understand the obsession on shitting on something you don't like anyway and then complain about it on a fan forum. it's like me buying a taylor swift album and then complaining on a fan forum how shit the music and the merch is

No it isnt. it's absolutely nothing like that because you never liked taylor swift. It's more like Axl Rose loving stephanie seymour, then spending the next 15 years writing songs about her and wanting her back. 

• GNFNR 1

32 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Whose fault is that? If you can't afford $15 for a record, why are you even buying it to begin with? If you have other responsibilities or  expenses shouldn't you take care of that first before anything else?

I broke my foot in mid August. I'm currently on disability leave from work. I'm not getting a full paycheck. My childhood friend wants to go see Iron Maiden for the second time. I told him no for now since we saw them last year and I'm not getting a full paycheck at the moment. I have expenses to pay.  That's my priority first and foremost until I'm able to go back to work. 

If you can't afford $15 then you shouldn't be buying something that you may not need. Additionally, you should know your priorities. GNR nor any other bands can do that for you. Neither can a  fan message board. 

Reading things like this makes me feel so bad for americans. Genuinely a 3rd world country. I guess at least you haven't lost your house and family paying for the treatment like so many others. But hey, land of the free and all!

5 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Reading things like this makes me feel so bad for americans. Genuinely a 3rd world country. I guess at least you haven't lost your house and family paying for the treatment like so many others. But hey, land of the free and all!

There is personal responsibility.  If you KNOW you can't afford something, why go out and buy it? My employer published an article on how Americans making $150,000 are living paycheck to paycheck. When I read that article, I was thinking that some people need to cut down on their expenses if they are making that much money. 

My father had two jobs. He was a machinist and janitor. He was the sole breadwinner of a family of four. Additionally, he had to deal with a child that was born with a disability (me). Even with two jobs, my brother and I figured out that we were living close to the poverty line. Yet, he was  able to save money because he made sacrifices. He also put my brother and I through college if there were costs that were not covered by scholarships. 

I don't feel badly for this guy, especially since he made a joke about people with disabilities in a previous thread and now whining about $15. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Draguns said:

There is personal responsibility.  If you KNOW you can't afford something, why go out and buy it? My employer published an article on how Americans making $150,000 are living paycheck to paycheck. When I read that article, I was thinking that some people need to cut down on their expenses if they are making that much money. 

My father had two jobs. He was a machinist and janitor. He was the sole breadwinner of a family of four. Additionally, he had to deal with a child that was born with a disability (me). Even with two jobs, my brother and I figured out that we were living close to the poverty line. Yet, he was  able to save money because he made sacrifices. He also put my brother and I through college if there were costs that were not covered by scholarships. 

I don't feel badly for this guy, especially since he made a joke about people with disabilities in a previous thread and now whining about $15. 

That's even worse that you have a disability and do no get the support you should that other nations get without a second thought. The argument is no one should have to work two jobs to make ends meet. You shouldnt have to sacrifice basics. America needs to stop giving all your money to the top 1%, tax them properly and actually build society from the bottom up. It's far from perfect in the UK and EU, but compared to america it is like a utopia. 

• Like 1

I haven't bought anything GNR since 2016.

7 hours ago, VampireSoul said:

My parents unwillingly spent 400usd on a big spaghetti incident poster in 1994. There was a competition, where you left answering machine messages about your favorite band on a radioshows number. Needless to say, I called a few times and parents got a 400+ phone bill. But I got my poster and a whoopin' 😂

I imagine it was worse once they seen it was just a big picture of spaghetti :lol: 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Now, if time is money, I have spent a lot of time on GN'R in the last 8 years and maybe I should feel a bit foolish for that (and for getting to a point of knowing the most obscure facts about them). But I see it basically as a form of harmless and cheap entertainment or a guilty pleasure kind of similar to being addicted to a soap opera. And I feel that if/when it stops being that, I'll just check out completely (as shitposting is not entertaining for me at all).

GNR is a fantastic soap opera in my opinion… I mean, we don’t have baby swaps, a dead twin coming back to life, a weather machine, miraculous cures and so forth in GNR land but we have… well we have this forum 🤣

• Haha 1

I don't feel foolish - I got my money's worth of enjoyment from the concerts I saw and the albums I bought that have given me a lifetime's worth of enjoyment

From my perspective the only time anyone should feel "fucked over" is if purchased items don't arrive/are defective, or the band walks off long before a live show is slated to end and no refunds are given - not because a song on vinyl will also be available to stream lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

Was the vinyl exclusive comment not only from Italy's Universal store? This may have previously been mentioned on this thread, but it seemed there were many that jumped on this and took it as gospel. It's bad enough being drip fed these songs over a number of years, but it would have been disappointing had the music Axl labored over for decades were relegated to hidden/limited B sides that wouldn't get the widespread attention his efforts deserved. 

12 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Yes. Or rather from an Italian news site that had been right about some other GNR related news before as the seem to have connections to universal Italy 

And after that article, the online store of Universal Italy removed the part about The General being vinyl exclusive.

• Like 1

I spend what I want to, based on what I have available at the time, which isn't a lot. I paid for all their albums and some late 80s/early 90s merch (UYI tour t shirt and programme, pewter jewellery, photos, VHS tapes - I was a teen so was into all that). Lithographs aside, I don't like much of the merch they sell now. Most of the clothes are fugly and I don't need a puzzle. I did find the 8-ball moderately amusing but not enough to buy it. The boxsets are a bit pricey for me but I would consider it if the money was there. This year, I have the Japan release on order but that's about it. Nightrain membership seems like it could be a bit better value than it is but I am no expert.