Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, username said:

6 songs in and I'm absolutely loving this! Great and refreshing to hear all the different vocalists, great guitar work tying the whole thing together. Definitely picking it up at the store tomorrow. 

What is the best and worst song so far?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I wouldn't be disappointed by that - looks cleaner on a flat black surface, and it won't fade or smudge over time. :shrugs:

Yeah, I just put the records in an antistatic sleeve anyway, and the sleeve in a plastic slipcover. I could slip this in the slipcover on the backside for viewing.

• Like 1

The biggest credit I can give Slash here is that his unique style and playing is what ties the album together in a cohesive way. That's very impressive with all the singers. Imo that happens here more so than on his 2010 album. Love that. This is really fun and Slash can definitely still really go. It's also very nice to hear him without Myles being on everything. I can only take so much of his voice and it gets boring to me. This, on the other hand, sounds awesome. 

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What is the best and worst song so far?

I'll need more listens to decide. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Fuck! That record is great to listen to. My impression after the first listen was that Slash kept it save here and there, trying not to overplay, maybe a bit predictable, but I guess I just need one or two more spins.
I thought it was missing the big, great Slash solos I was expecting but holy motherfucker Stormy Monday hits so fucking hard. That song has everything you need. Beth Hart’s giving everything and what a solo! That’s the blues I was waiting for. 
While writing this I listen to the album again and the solos are totally fine 😂 forget what I’ve written before. I skipped the singles we already had and Papa Was A Rolling Stone isn’t available yet. When listening to that whole thing the experience will be even better!

There’s some Back And Forth Again in Metal Chestnut, though.

Stormy Monday with Beth Hart really blew me away as well. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

and Papa Was A Rolling Stone isn’t available yet.

The album is up for download on some platforms of questionable legallity with that song and everything. 

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Nobody else listened to it? I need some reviews?

Just got done with my first listen. Probably the most interesting record that Slash has put out in many years. Though Slash didn't try to reinvent anything, his playing is a lot more tasteful he has definitely taken a different approach to his solos than his past albums. 

Despite being a fan of Myles, I think he was getting tiresome and all the guest singers are quite refreshing to listen to. Also, the sound mix is great and the whole band sounds tight. 

My only gripe is that Metal Chesnut turned out to be disappointing at the end after such a great start. Just sounded like his usual noodling. Maybe it'll grow on me after a few listens because I always tend to like the instrumental tracks in his albums.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Papa Was A Rolling Stone isn’t available yet.

I can listen to it on Spotify with an Australian VPN. Check it out because it's an amazing track!

• Like 1

Just now, 22frets said:

I can listen to it on Spotify with an Australian VPN. Check it out because it's an amazing track!

I listened via VPN on Youtube, but since it was the official video it got scipped.

I’m waiting for the physical record tomorrow. Then I’ll give it a listen in full and will say something to the production. Probably.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can't wait to hear Stormy Monday. Almost every single review I've read singled it out as one of the highlights, and it's 8 minutes long too, that's cool as fuck. That's probably gonna have the best solos of the album.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Can't wait to hear Stormy Monday. Almost every single review I've read singled it out as one of the highlights, and it's 8 minutes long too, that's cool as fuck. That's probably gonna have the best solos of the album.

Just heard Papa Was A Rolling Stone now and those two might have the best guitar work in general. It’s what I expected from that album, an emotional proper blues song with great guitar. 

• Like 1

Spinning my copy now! The signature is indeed on one of the black record inserts. I’m on track 3. Production is killer. Loving the playing so far.

Record 1 has a bit of a warble. But whatever

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

Just got home, pumped to get my signed cd a day early and …. it wasn’t fucking signed. I am so pissed right now!IMG_5726.jpeg.0f2d0cd2b7a9384751e26aa0f1690969.jpeg

Fuck that sucks. Check the booklet and stuff 

• Like 1

I like Metal Chestnut and like how there’s one original, but I agree that it doesn’t add much to the record as a whole. It’s a cool guitar solo with some killer tone, though

• Like 3