2024 Grammy awards

Haven't watched this award show in years. It's all crap to me.

Anyway, congratulations to Metallica for best metal performance.  What I did read about the rock awards was a joke.

Also I read what Jay Z said about his "wife" not ever winning Best album award. The woman has the most Grammy awards ever, why I don't know, and he has to pick that night to bitch about it.

poor Taylor Swift, first Kanye and now Jay Z. It seems she's a target for winning what Beyonce doesn't. I think all award shows should make a rule that you just read the nominees and say the winner and keep you damn mouth shut. Use twitter like everyone else does to do your bitching.

If a white artist said something like this, they would be called a racist. Why is it race always has to be part of any show these days? We will never as a people be truly united if "race" is always brought up or implied.

Not a fan or either Taylor or Beyonce, but can't the winners no matter your opinion enjoy their night.  Also I think this is why Taylor, from what I read, announced her new album coming out in April. This girl makes more albums that all artist put togerther.

I think all these stupid award shows should be done with.

Fans will continue to support their favorite artists and that to me is more important than any awards.

What will happen at the Oscars this year? I'm sure someone will complain and not be happy.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

If a white artist said something like this, they would be called a racist. Why is it race always has to be part of any show these days? We will never as a people be truly united if "race" is always brought up or implied.

:lol:

Remember when @dontdamnmeuyi2015thought Squid Games featured real murders because it took place in South Korea?

I remember 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, username said:

They don't have to stop or anything, but to me they're completely meaningless. They have been for a long time. 

I agree with you. Fans are the only ones that matter and like I said. Every rock show I've been too has sold out amd we ;pve ot/

20 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

:lol:

Remember when @dontdamnmeuyi2015thought Squid Games featured real murders because it took place in South Korea?

I remember 

i never said that. I never watched the show and never cared about it.

I'm glad Miley won. Been a long time coming.

The grammy's need to play music when someone goes off the rails like Jay Z did and get the hook lol.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/South-Korea/United-States/Crime

I'll admit I still haven't gotten round to watching Squid Game, i don't believe it's a documentary looks fairly safe compared to other countries though.

STAT
South Korea
United States
HISTORY
Age of criminal responsibility 12
Ranked 33th. Twice as much as United States
Ranked 58th.

Crime levels 13.89
Ranked 90th.
Ranked 30th. 4 times more than South Korea

Drugs > Annual cannabis use 0.3%
Ranked 11th.
13.7%
Ranked 1st. 46 times more than South Korea

Drugs > Opiates use 0.2%
Ranked 11th.
0.57%
Ranked 3rd. 3 times more than South Korea

Murder rate 2.3 5
Police officers 0.9
Ranked 8th.
Ranked 27th. 271 times more than South Korea
Rape rate 13.5
Ranked 20th.
Ranked 9th. 2 times more than South Korea

Total crimes 1.54 million
Ranked 11th.
11.88 million
Ranked 1st. 8 times more than South Korea

Total crimes per 1000 32.41
Ranked 30th.
Ranked 22nd. 27% more than South Korea

Violent crime > Gun crime > Guns per 100 residents 1.1
Ranked 143th.
Ranked 1st. 81 times more than South Korea

Violent crime > Intentional homicide rate 2.9
Ranked 52nd.
Ranked 7th. 62% more than South Korea

Violent crime > Murder rate 1,251
Ranked 20th.
Ranked 9th. 10 times more than South Korea

Violent crime > Murder rate per million people 25.32
Ranked 51st.
Ranked 43th. 66% more than South Korea

Violent crime > Rapes 6,321
Ranked 8th.
Ranked 1st. 13 times more than South Korea

Violent crime > Rapes per million people 131.58
Ranked 20th.

:)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rindmelon said:

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/South-Korea/United-States/Crime

I'll admit I still haven't gotten round to watching Squid Game, i don't believe it's a documentary looks fairly safe compared to other countries though.

STAT
South Korea
United States
HISTORY
Age of criminal responsibility 12
Ranked 33th. Twice as much as United States
Ranked 58th.

Crime levels 13.89
Ranked 90th.
Ranked 30th. 4 times more than South Korea

Drugs > Annual cannabis use 0.3%
Ranked 11th.
13.7%
Ranked 1st. 46 times more than South Korea

Drugs > Opiates use 0.2%
Ranked 11th.
0.57%
Ranked 3rd. 3 times more than South Korea

Murder rate 2.3 5  
Police officers 0.9
Ranked 8th.
Ranked 27th. 271 times more than South Korea

Rape rate 13.5
Ranked 20th.

Total crimes 1.54 million
Ranked 11th.
11.88 million
Ranked 1st. 8 times more than South Korea

Total crimes per 1000 32.41
Ranked 30th.
Ranked 22nd. 27% more than South Korea

Violent crime > Gun crime > Guns per 100 residents 1.1
Ranked 143th.
Ranked 1st. 81 times more than South Korea

Violent crime > Intentional homicide rate 2.9
Ranked 52nd.
Ranked 7th. 62% more than South Korea

Violent crime > Murder rate 1,251
Ranked 20th.
Ranked 9th. 10 times more than South Korea

Violent crime > Murder rate per million people 25.32
Ranked 51st.
Ranked 43th. 66% more than South Korea

Violent crime > Rapes 6,321
Ranked 8th.
Ranked 1st. 13 times more than South Korea

Violent crime > Rapes per million people 131.58
Ranked 20th.

:)

She clearly mixed up North and South Korea. It is fucking hilarious

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Haha 1

These awards shows don't matter to anyone other than the artists themselves.

Jay-Z complaining about the Grammys getting it right is hilarious.  When have they ever got it right?  The Beatles won one Album of the Year award in the same decade Frank Sintra won three.  It's always been a joke. 

But sure, the guy who cheated on his wife so much so that she wrote an album about it wants everyone to know that the organization that gave Beyonce 32 awards has been disrespected.

I've seen their summer home in the Hamptons in person.  The last people anyone should feel sorry for is Jay Z and Beyonce.  

• Like 3

There's been a lot of noise that Beyonce's album Lemonade should have won Album of the Year in 2016.  Having never listened to it (since I don't recall any of the singles from the album did anything for me at the time), I listened to it over the last couple of days.

I don't get it. 

And what I also don't understand is how an album that is apparently so seminal and masterful receives little to no love from her own fan base these days.  

Looking at Spotify streams, its most listened to song "Formation" ranks 20th with 300 million streams.  That sounds like a lot, but relative to her top two songs (Halo at 1.4 billion and Crazy in Love with 1 billion streams), it's a small fraction.

Granted, those two songs are older.  But if you look at daily streams, the album doesn't do much better.  There are only two songs ("Love Drought" and "Formation") that crack the top 40 of Beyonce songs that are listened to daily.  None of them are in her top 20.

Maybe my reasoning is off, but one would think that if the album were that great, her fans would still be listening to it.

The same mostly applies to her last album, Renaissance, which came out two year ago.

Outside of the songs Break My Soul and Cuff it, none of the other tracks get the same number of daily streams as her older material.

Not trying to be too dismissive of Beyonce, because I do think she's talented (I really like her songs "Halo," "Crazy in Love," and "If I Were A Boy").  But she strikes me as an artist that gets by mostly on hype these days rather than putting out material that people will listen to longer after it's been released.

Then again, the same could be said about Chinese Democracy

Though, few people make the claim that Chinese Democracy should have won album of the year in 2008.  I do think eventually artists get by on their names versus the material.  But interesting how there's so much noise that any Beyonce album that doesn't win Album of the Year is a sign of bias or indication that something is fundamentally wrong.  But I think time has somewhat vindicated the decision not to reward her the award. 

Then again, the Grammys have awarded Album of the Year to many albums by artists that few people listen to anymore.  Anyone listen to Herbie Hancock's River: Letter's to Joni lately?  What about U2's How to Dismantle a Bomb?

11 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Haha, there are worse examples of pop-songs-being-the-same I think.

True, but how many of them won a Grammy? :P 

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

There's been a lot of noise that Beyonce's album Lemonade should have won Album of the Year in 2016.  Having never listened to it (since I don't recall any of the singles from the album did anything for me at the time), I listened to it over the last couple of days.

I don't get it. 

And what I also don't understand is how an album that is apparently so seminal and masterful receives little to no love from her own fan base these days.  

Looking at Spotify streams, its most listened to song "Formation" ranks 20th with 300 million streams.  That sounds like a lot, but relative to her top two songs (Halo at 1.4 billion and Crazy in Love with 1 billion streams), it's a small fraction.

Granted, those two songs are older.  But if you look at daily streams, the album doesn't do much better.  There are only two songs ("Love Drought" and "Formation") that crack the top 40 of Beyonce songs that are listened to daily.  None of them are in her top 20.

Maybe my reasoning is off, but one would think that if the album were that great, her fans would still be listening to it.

The same mostly applies to her last album, Renaissance, which came out two year ago.

Outside of the songs Break My Soul and Cuff it, none of the other tracks get the same number of daily streams as her older material.

Not trying to be too dismissive of Beyonce, because I do think she's talented (I really like her songs "Halo," "Crazy in Love," and "If I Were A Boy").  But she strikes me as an artist that gets by mostly on hype these days rather than putting out material that people will listen to longer after it's been released.

Then again, the same could be said about Chinese Democracy

Though, few people make the claim that Chinese Democracy should have won album of the year in 2008.  I do think eventually artists get by on their names versus the material.  But interesting how there's so much noise that any Beyonce album that doesn't win Album of the Year is a sign of bias or indication that something is fundamentally wrong.  But I think time has somewhat vindicated the decision not to reward her the award. 

Then again, the Grammys have awarded Album of the Year to many albums by artists that few people listen to anymore.  Anyone listen to Herbie Hancock's River: Letter's to Joni lately?  What about U2's How to Dismantle a Bomb?

True, but how many of them won a Grammy? :P 

just my opinion, but I don't think the same can be said about Chinese Democracy. you don't tinker with the same material for years and release it after a decade for it not to stand the test of time, artistically, not commercially speaking at least.

from various music sites with communities the opinion seems to be, even with non Gn'R fans and those who dislike Axl that Chinese is a good to great record and I still personally listen to it as well.

Beyonce doesn't even write her own material for the most part. she has a team of writers. her talents lie in her singing and dancing ability primarily so even if she won album of the year, is it really a win if she didn't actually wrote the lyrics/composed the music.

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

just my opinion, but I don't think the same can be said about Chinese Democracy. you don't tinker with the same material for years and release it after a decade for it not to stand the test of time, artistically, not commercially speaking at least.

But would most hardcore GNR fans, even those who became fans during the nuGNR days, say CD is GNR's best album?  Maybe a few, but I would have a hard time believing most would.  It's not an indictment of the material per se.

I honestly think very little will "stand the test of time."  Assuming human beings are still living and capable of listening to recorded music hundreds of years from now, I doubt very little of what we've done will be remembered or cared about.  Outside of the Beatles, I'm having a hard time believing that people in 2524 will be blasting the deep cuts from Chinese Democracy.

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

Beyonce doesn't even write her own material for the most part. she has a team of writers. her talents lie in her singing and dancing ability primarily so even if she won album of the year, is it really a win if she didn't actually wrote the lyrics/composed the music.

I'll push back on this a bit.  I don't think the performer has to write their own material for the album to be considered great.  A lot of great albums have been released by artists who didn't write most, if not all, of the material.  A great album is just that, a great album.  It doesn't necessarily need to be performed by the same person or persons who wrote it.

5 hours ago, downzy said:

But would most hardcore GNR fans, even those who became fans during the nuGNR days, say CD is GNR's best album?  Maybe a few, but I would have a hard time believing most would.  It's not an indictment of the material per se.

I honestly think very little will "stand the test of time."  Assuming human beings are still living and capable of listening to recorded music hundreds of years from now, I doubt very little of what we've done will be remembered or cared about.  Outside of the Beatles, I'm having a hard time believing that people in 2524 will be blasting the deep cuts from Chinese Democracy.

I'll push back on this a bit.  I don't think the performer has to write their own material for the album to be considered great.  A lot of great albums have been released by artists who didn't write most, if not all, of the material.  A great album is just that, a great album.  It doesn't necessarily need to be performed by the same person or persons who wrote it.

I don't consider Chinese Democracy as a Gn'R album. I think most Gn'R fans, at least hardcore Gn'R fans, consider AFD to be the best Gn'R album, but maybe cause Chinese was released under the name Gn'R, it's possible that new fans to Gn'R who discovers AFD/Lies/Illusions would also discover and decide to check out Chinese. 

"stand the test of time" was used by me more to express what I think Axl's goal was with Chinese, as in not be disposable and really taking the time and making the effort to come up with something that you can go back to. I didn't mean 500 plus years from now, but it's an interesting question.

nowdays, in modern times, we still listen to music that is hundreds of years old, I know I do and a lot of people do, even if most people probably don't. technology has made it very easy for algorithms to make quick suggestions that are based on what you like so you can go back in time now musically as a listener without much if any effort so who knows? I can see AFD as one of the albums that could be remembered for a long time. Master Of Puppets for example, was selected to be preserved in the national recording registry by the library of congress.

about Beyonce, I don't think the performer, especially in the pop genre, must write their own materiel for their album to be considered great, but maybe the award should be given to the people who made that happen, just as much if not more compared to the performer. it's an award for a product that was more the work of a big team so when you lump in that category other artists that actually do write and compose the material or all of it, the meaning of the award kinda loses its meaning imho.

Edited by Rovim

A great album is a great album, regardless of the number of writers, performers or producers. Take a band where one guy writes the lyrics, and another sings the songs. Look at Californication - that's Rubin's fingerprints all over the song, as the demo takes are so different. Is it a lesser album because Rubin shaped Keidis' outputs into something successful? He's not in the band after all.

As for Beyonce. Don't get her. At all. I don't like her warbling vocals and I don't like the repetitive lyrics. I don't consider her to be a great - I think she just popped off with Crazy in Love, and then rode that wave for a few years with some commercial success, and now everything is hyped. I don't think there is any substance behind her output.

Swift? She's extremely talented. She has the voice, she has the lyrics, the playing ability, she has the attitude, and she does what she wants when she wants it. She is a trendsetter and a global superstar. You can love her or hate her, but I don't think anybody who actually looks into her discography with an open mind would be able to say she's not an absolute superstar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

I don't consider Chinese Democracy as a Gn'R album.

I never considered it a GnR record either. But I don't really care either. I judge the music and not which name happens to be on the cover and I quite like Chinese Democracy and think it contains some of Axl's best songs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

but maybe the award should be given to the people who made that happen

They do.  It's called Song of the Year for people who write the song.  Record of the Year is for the overall sound (performer, song writing, recording quality, etc).  Album is for the entire album.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris1989 said:

Swift? She's extremely talented. She has the voice, she has the lyrics, the playing ability, she has the attitude, and she does what she wants when she wants it. She is a trendsetter and a global superstar. You can love her or hate her, but I don't think anybody who actually looks into her discography with an open mind would be able to say she's not an absolute superstar.

I agree with all of this. 

Funny enough though, you don't mention her music.  Which I think is average, at best.  I think her songs are popular largely because of her lyrics (which makes sense since she comes from the Nashville scene).

But in every other aspect, she does it all very well and deserves the accolades and success.

Been seeing a lot of people upset about the fact that the rock category wasn't aired this year.

Apparently the Grammys cycle various awards in and out of the broadcast on a yearly basis. 

Plus it's mostly a show about performances, less about awards (which makes sense considering most people would rather watch performances than speeches).

But I'm not sure if people truly understand how much rock has fallen off the radar.

If you look at the acts that were nominated, three of the five are from a different century (Metallica, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age).

The most recent act (Greta Van Fleet), formed almost 12 years ago.

Paramore, the band that won for best rock album, has been around for twenty years.  And with respect to other artists, isn't hardly relevant.  It ranks 271 in terms of daily streams on Spotify.  Few people listened to a band that won rock album of the year.

So I don't blame the Grammys for not airing the rock album award (even if it was done so because it was rock's year to sit out from being televised).  It's a reflection of how rock has become so irrelevant; an indictment of the genre and not really the Grammys.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

I agree with all of this. 

Funny enough though, you don't mention her music.  Which I think is average, at best.  I think her songs are popular largely because of her lyrics (which makes sense since she comes from the Nashville scene).

But in every other aspect, she does it all very well and deserves the accolades and success.

I would say that her music is top tier for this era/generation, but mid tier when you consider the great female singer songwriters of the past and their achievements at the time.

I think we are in a very weak era that is far more controlled by dark forces and media manipulation than the eras where a buzz was generated by live performances and reputation spreading in the local scene and going nationwide.

21 minutes ago, Chris1989 said:

I would say that her music is top tier for this era/generation, but mid tier when you consider the great female singer songwriters of the past and their achievements at the time.

Agree.  Mediocrity in songwriting is kind of the most we can expect at this point in time.  It's rare I hear something truly novel and great.

If Taylor had launched her career in the 1980s, I don't think she gets close to the same level of fame and success she gets now.  She has a couple of bangers that will live on, but when you compare her to an artist like Madonna, it's night and day (with respect to songwriting).  

23 minutes ago, Chris1989 said:

I think we are in a very weak era that is far more controlled by dark forces and media manipulation than the eras where a buzz was generated by live performances and reputation spreading in the local scene and going nationwide.

LOL, I don't think I'm as conspiratorial about all of this as you are.  I truly believe that if people were writing and releasing genre defining calibre songs we'd hear about it. 

I think the real culprit is that most new artists are writing to a format that limits them creatively but improves their chances of being heard.  Writing for the algorithm is a real thing these days.  Short intros, choruses within 30 seconds, no bridges, simple chord progressions, no key changes or use of interesting time signatures.  Music (particularly pop music) is far simpler.  More focus is on lyrics and rhythm (all about the beat).  I'm also inclined to believe that most of the great hooks have already been mined.  Unless you're a Brian Wilson, Freddie Mercury, Elton John, Paul McCartney that can play around with really innovative chord progressions and time signatures, most of the great melodies involving the standard I - V - VI - IV chord progression have been written.  So easier to write stuff with greater focus on lyrics, sound and rhythm than melody or hooks.