Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

4 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

@Len B'stard And what did we say about not mentioning it on the forum until I've broken up with everyone else on the forum I'm Snapchatting with? 

Lets tell em the truth, we had a strangers on a train moment, we devised a plot to murder Downzy so that Grace may usurp his position at the helm of the mygnr empire, we're goin' halves on the google ads.

Grace, being a classy sort of girl wanted to go for the poison in the tea but eventually we decided on Professor Len in the drawing room with the candlestick holder.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

The whole film is over the top though, its supposed to be, it evokes a certain effect, Jacks acting fit the nature of the way it was filmed.

I think its a stunning film.

it is but it's not anywhere near what the character in the BOOK was. if you judge them as two separate things then they are both fine. i think i am harsher on the film because i read the book. this happens a lot with me, i read a book and like it then i see the movie and i am like this didn't happen in the book or why did they leave this part of the book out of it? there was this one book, not a great bestseller but i liked it. it was called  Blood and Chocolate. then i saw the movie, which was supposed to be based on the novel and i was appallled! the film was nothing like the book. in fact they should have just given it a different name and left out the 2 or 3 parts that were like the book and have it not be associated with the book at all.

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

Films are generally worse than the books, but I am more an aficionado of Kubrick than I am of King so I can not claim to be objective on the subject of The Shinning debate. King's idea of a film is a tv film miniseries thing; he is a talented enough writer but there were all these tv looking low budget adaptations masterminded by him in the '80s and '90s. Kubrick is an auteur.

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Films are generally worse than the books, but I am more an aficionado of Kubrick than I am of King so I can not claim to be objective on the subject of The Shinning debate. King's idea of a film is a tv film miniseries thing; he is a talented enough writer but there were all these tv looking low budget adaptations masterminded by him in the '80s and '90s. Kubrick is an auteur.

which is why in this case i look upon the book and the film as two separate things. as for the mini series for The Shining it's not even worth mentioning for me. as for The Stand i am curious to see what can be done with 4 movies.

It has been awhile since I read the book but Kubrick made a sort of ambiguous psychological-supernatural horror - is it cabin fever or ghosts? Kubrick loved ambiguity, case in point 2001. In the book the supernatural (of the hotel) is more emphasised whereas the film leaves you wondering if this was not madness. King is also more the moralist and usually writes autobiographically (e.g. his alcoholism). Kubrick jettisoned the morality of the novel and the stuff specific to Stephen King.

34 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I always found King to be a bit hokey.  

i like horror, i feel he's a good horror writer. i went through all the "heavy literature" stuff and the only writer i enjoyed was Steinback. i am not a book snob, i'll read just about anything ( except Faulkner, his writing is atrocious IMO. ) when i was 11 we moved from Ft. Worth to N Cali. i was in 6th grade which was middle school in TX but in Cali it was still elementary school. i pitched a fit, i did not want to have to go back to what was to me the baby school. so they tested me and proclaimed i was smart enough to skip a grade. to make a long story short i tested as having the vocabulary of someone in college which i account to the fact that i was an avid reader even though at that age i was mainly reading romance novels. i did sneak a few adult books, my dad caught me with some of them and took them away but i just found where he'd hidden them and read them behind his back. 

54 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i like horror, i feel he's a good horror writer. i went through all the "heavy literature" stuff and the only writer i enjoyed was Steinback. i am not a book snob, i'll read just about anything ( except Faulkner, his writing is atrocious IMO. ) when i was 11 we moved from Ft. Worth to N Cali. i was in 6th grade which was middle school in TX but in Cali it was still elementary school. i pitched a fit, i did not want to have to go back to what was to me the baby school. so they tested me and proclaimed i was smart enough to skip a grade. to make a long story short i tested as having the vocabulary of someone in college which i account to the fact that i was an avid reader even though at that age i was mainly reading romance novels. i did sneak a few adult books, my dad caught me with some of them and took them away but i just found where he'd hidden them and read them behind his back. 

I like Geralds Game, that was quite good.  My problem with King is the horror isn't so much in the horrific aspects that are accentuated in his movies but more in the human behaviour and psychological aspects.

• Like 1

you guys have certainly sparked my interest in king again :P 

since time is short these days, i'm looking into his short story collections. the new "bazaar of bad dreams" is great, i love to read a story each evening. I also really liked "night shift". Some really twisted stories in there. I'm still not over the trauma "the boogeyman" gave me.

planning on looking for some cheap deals on some books. I have "skeleton crew" in the mail, which is another short story collection.

so far i've completed salems lot, the shining, it, talisman, black house, insomnia, regulators, desperation, hearts in atlantis, everythings eventual, eyes of the dragon, dark tower I - VIII, silver bullet, dark half, misery, needfull thing, green mile.

I NEED to finish the stand though. that book is taking me AGES to finish. Over the course of the past 20 years i'm reading it in small doses. I'm somewhere around 3/4 now. But knowing how it ends (that darn miniseries) really puts me off :shrugs: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

skeleton crew has some great stories! i especially liked "The Jaunt". do finish The Stand, i was planning on re-readng it ( i have read it every year for at least the last 15 years ) but when i picked it it fell apart! so i need to get a new copy :( 

i've just finished the part where Harold is "getting it on" with Nadine. that part was brilliantly written, alright. I'm going to try to finish this sucker this time ^_^

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah old Harold fnally got something...just not that "one'' thing :P

yeah, but he didnt seem to mind, he went along with it regardless. i guess he must have thought to himself: "better one bird in the hand, than two in the ...bush" :P 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2016 at 0:26 PM, Len B'stard said:

Lets tell em the truth, we had a strangers on a train moment, we devised a plot to murder Downzy so that Grace may usurp his position at the helm of the mygnr empire, we're goin' halves on the google ads.

Grace, being a classy sort of girl wanted to go for the poison in the tea but eventually we decided on Professor Len in the drawing room with the candlestick holder.

i liked strangers on a train (film) but i wish they picked another name for the protagonist.

I literally got sick of hearing "Guy" i guess since it was such a unusual name it stuck out more

Edited by -W.A.R-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...