Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

23 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Chase by James Patterson

i have only read one book by Patterson, i can't recall the name. i got it in a box of books i bought off Ebay ( i read a lot so sometimes i will buy them in bulk to save money!) anyway, it was a teen book or something. the kids were part of an experiment and they'd had bird dna or somehing grafted into them. at the end of the book i found out there were like 7 more. it was a series! that ticked me off.

also when i see him on TV hawking his wares it is kind of off putting. not that it makes him a bad writer. is it a good book? do you read a lot of his work?

I'm just about to start my annual read through of George and Weedon Grossmith's (brothers) amazing book "The Diary Of A Nobody". It's a short little novella that you can read in but a few hours, but is genuinely one of the funniest, most whimsical books I've ever read. The main character, Mr Pooter (from which we get the word "pooterism", by the way) is a put upon, stuffed shirt clerk who gets into all of these scrapes by taking himself entirely too seriously. For example, he thinks that it would be most wonderful to paint the bath red so he does so using the paint he has to hand. He then has a really hot bath only to find that all of the water has turned red, which he thinks is due to rupturing an artery!

As the book is so old it's actually public domain, so here's a link to a pdf of it:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1026/1026-h/1026-h.htm

• Like 1

so i have chosen to reread this little gem of a book written by someone a few of you may recall...Greg Kihn of The Break Up Song and Jealousy fame although my favorite is Can't Stop Hurting Myself. it's called Horror Show and i generally read it around Halloween time. rushing it a bit i guess but when i am already seeing spotty sighting of Christmas stuff wth.

it's a pretty good book...was a Bram Stoker Award Nominee of that gives it credence. only thing is i think he "borrows" a lot from Ed Wood, either his own movies or the one with Johnny Depp in it. 

anyway it's a fast read with a lot of cool gory and occult style stuff... i'd be interested in comments from those who have read it or after reading it :)

pet sematary - Stephen king. Wanted some fresh king reading and went with the recommendation I got earlier. So far it's a very great read.

when that is finished, I've got the following books waiting to complete: the dead zone (Stephen king), tommyknockers (Stephen king), dr sleep (Stephen king) name of the rose, complete tales (hp lovecraft), complete works (poe).

• Like 1

On 9/7/2016 at 2:28 AM, action said:

pet sematary - Stephen king. Wanted some fresh king reading and went with the recommendation I got earlier. So far it's a very great read.

when that is finished, I've got the following books waiting to complete: the dead zone (Stephen king), tommyknockers (Stephen king), dr sleep (Stephen king) name of the rose, complete tales (hp lovecraft), complete works (poe).

Pet Sematary is so creepy great! i'd go with The Dead Zone next :)

• Like 1

deadly fate by Heather Graham

Loved reading Pet Sematary and The Dead Zone was great too. I also loved It and the tv movie was so creepy good.

I think a lot of Stephen King books made great movies.

I remember reading the ending to Pet Sematary and feeling the hairs standing up on the back of my neck.

The Dark Half was a very good book too.

• Like 1

The TV series had Gary Sinise who is one of them tv-movie actors who is in everything. Your mother will be watching some shit film about a child abduction set in small town America on Channel 5 at 6pm and you are guaranteed Sinise will pop up. Those are the type of films which always feature square-jawed types driving station wagons as the 'blue coloured dad role', wearing red and black checks plaid shirts.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2016 at 0:21 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

deadly fate by Heather Graham

Loved reading Pet Sematary and The Dead Zone was great too. I also loved It and the tv movie was so creepy good.

I think a lot of Stephen King books made great movies.

I remember reading the ending to Pet Sematary and feeling the hairs standing up on the back of my neck.

The Dark Half was a very good book too.

oh i forgot...have you read Needful Things by King? it's excellent. and of course The Stand ( the revised longer version released before the mini series came out. )

i have read a lot of older Stephen King not so much the newer stuff. most recent one i read by him was Lisey's Story which to me was just meh.

but he has so much good stuff IMO :)

Jules Verne: Seven Novels by Jules Verne

I fear I'm getting jipped in this edition of Around The World In Eighty Days... Passepartout just made it back to the train station at Bombay for the 3 day long express to Calcutta and Detective Fix decided then to not board the train but to do something else... And So far, not one mention of a hot hair balloon, and they're already in India!? IDK.  So far it's been; Precision, Wager, Pimping Trip by trains and steamers and the Bank of England getting robbed and people linking Phileas Fogg to the robbery and this detective going all around the world trying to get warrants from London all the way unknown to Fogg or Passepartout...