Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

On 6/24/2017 at 11:41 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Finished Shirer. I now have this big hardback to read,

293.jpg

I've never read this one before.

you have to tell me how it is! i've been on a WWII binge recently. i watched a lot of documentaries about it lately on my dad...thinking of paying the money for that site to find out what happened. thanks for your offer tohelp :) 

8 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

you have to tell me how it is! i've been on a WWII binge recently. i watched a lot of documentaries about it lately on my dad...thinking of paying the money for that site to find out what happened. thanks for your offer tohelp :) 

This book is a very academic tome - just my cup of tea.

• Like 1

finally coming to the end of The Stand. it's been hard cos i read at night but the good part is i have been falling asleep relatively fast for the most which is soooo much better than insomnia! but i need a light summer novel next...any suggestions? i really should just go look in my library but it is only half done and tons of my books are still in boxes. i need book cases!

saving Steinbeck for the Monterey trip after seeing GN'R this November. i was once reading Sweet Thursday right as we drove past a bronze bust of Steinbeck. kinda cool :) 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 10:39 AM, arnold layne said:

I am reading SK's It before the movie comes out. 

Long as hell. 

it is long and i for one am driven crazy by SK writing out Bill's st-stu=stutt=stuttering! one of my friends in school had a stutter and i didn't have a problem but SK just draggggggs it out. i did like the book though, good luck with it :)

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I love King's sex scenes. They are hilarious.

i think SK is a borderline misogynist and an animal hater! i was kind of happy his accident happened because of a dog. it went around the grapevine that SK never killed another kid after he killed Gage in Pet Sematary but he kept on killing pets. what SK sex scene's do you refer to? :)

15 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i think SK is a borderline misogynist and an animal hater! i was kind of happy his accident happened because of a dog. it went around the grapevine that SK never killed another kid after he killed Gage in Pet Sematary but he kept on killing pets. what SK sex scene's do you refer to? :)

I cannot remember any specific ones but I read his stuff in my teens (Tommyknockers, Stand etc) and I've never managed to depart from the practise of referring to male genitalia as 'throbbing member'.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I cannot remember any specific ones but I read his stuff in my teens (Tommyknockers, Stand etc) and I've never managed to depart from the practise of referring to male genitalia as 'throbbing member'.

oh Lord please do not read any romance novels! i liked the part in Needful Things where the two middle aged ladies got their "Elvis" memorablia and it caused them to have sex hallucinations about "Elvis"....quite explicit ones and i thought it was great and funny as heck! :)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:39 PM, arnold layne said:

I am reading SK's It before the movie comes out. 

Long as hell. 

It sure is long. lol

I actually had the paperback book and it seemed twice as long. I did skip some parts where King was describing when the creature was in Derry a long time ago. It was just much.

Well, the original IT movie, had the kids' stories and the adults' stories.

This new IT movie will only concentrate on the children, but the book if I remember does go back and forth like the movie did.

On 7/12/2017 at 1:22 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

It sure is long. lol

I actually had the paperback book and it seemed twice as long. I did skip some parts where King was describing when the creature was in Derry a long time ago. It was just much.

Well, the original IT movie, had the kids' stories and the adults' stories.

This new IT movie will only concentrate on the children, but the book if I remember does go back and forth like the movie did.

yeah it did. it started with the one person involved in the Pennywise murders still living in Derry then it flashed to the kids. it went back and forth a lot. it was a good book but long. then again my fave SK book is The Stand and that goes on forever!

i am reading a true crime book about Gerald and Charlene Gallego. not a lot is paid attention to these two demented serial killers IMO but much of it took place in Sac and when i was a kid we used to drive by this bar they hung out called The Sail Inn...it was not too far from the vet we took our dog to.

Spoiler

he died of cancer in a prison i now live fairly close to

4 hours ago, journey said:

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. I've always loved the movie so I thought I would read the book. I'm a couple chapters in. There are a few differences from the movie so far.

Is that were the text color changes depending as the author writes about the human kid in the real world and whaht happens in the fantasy world? I remember reading it as a kid.