BREAKING NEWS: Malcolm Young on leave from AC/DC due to health

highvoltage

Thats the article everyone is now saying jumping the gun and is responsible for spreading this. Not saying its not true, but at the current time this is not the article that makes it seem true.

I hope the Billboard article has some truth. It seems that this can really go either way. I hope the band makes an official comment soon just to set the record straight, namely because of all the rumors that are quickly spreading.

I figured the band would do at least one more album and tour before calling it a day. Black Ice just doesn't feel like a proper sendoff. It was almost a new beginning because of how it showed that the band still had plenty of fuel in the tank. If this whole situation turns out to be either totally false or less serious than its being made out to be then I'll happily welcome a proper sendoff album and tour.

While I definitely agree that it's not AC/DC without Malcolm, I'd say if the band still wanted to do a handful of final shows then Stevie Young would be the only suitable fill-in.

• Like 1

I hope the Billboard article has some truth. It seems that this can really go either way. I hope the band makes an official comment soon just to set the record straight, namely because of all the rumors that are quickly spreading.

I figured the band would do at least one more album and tour before calling it a day. Black Ice just doesn't feel like a proper sendoff. It was almost a new beginning because of how it showed that the band still had plenty of fuel in the tank. If this whole situation turns out to be either totally false or less serious than its being made out to be then I'll happily welcome a proper sendoff album and tour.

While I definitely agree that it's not AC/DC without Malcolm, I'd say if the band still wanted to do a handful of final shows then Stevie Young would be the only suitable fill-in.

Agreed - I could accept Stevie as a fill-in for a farewell tour, but that's it. Wouldn't want to see him record with AC/DC, and I wouldn't want to see them "go on" with him. And even then, a farewell tour that doesn't involve Malcolm would feel so wrong :unsure:

Agreed - I could accept Stevie as a fill-in for a farewell tour, but that's it. Wouldn't want to see him record with AC/DC, and I wouldn't want to see them "go on" with him. And even then, a farewell tour that doesn't involve Malcolm would feel so wrong :unsure:

I'm with you on that. Stevie for touring only - no more albums. The thought of AC/DC going on without Malcom's riffs or driving guitars scares me. Even if these rumours turn out to be somewhat true, it'd be cool if Malcolm was well enough to handle a farewell tour before the band calls it quits. His health is definitely top priority though. Maybe another scenario depending on the illness - Malcolm writes and records, but if he can't handle the tour, send Stevie on the road.

I don't know about Stevie filling in for Malcolm, even for a farewell tour. I guess I could accept it, but it wouldn't feel right.

Everything important about AC/DC besides Angus' showmanship pretty much comes down to Mal. He is the backbone, the riffmaster, the foundation of basically everything. It's always been his band before anyone else's - what he says goes. So I guess as long as the decision is his, if that's what it comes to.

His '63 Firebird belongs in a museum somewhere after he's done playing it. It's one of my favourite guitars in the world.

This is just terrible. AC/DC is the reason why I picked up the guitar in the first place. It will be incredibly sad to see them go. I guess they just got old...

Yeah - AC/DC songs are one of the best songs to play, enjoyable and comfortable to learn but still super tricky if you want to play em right like Mal does. Mal is the rhythm of rhythm guitarist. Superbly talented bloke, Ang gets the glory most of the times, but Mal is magic!

Old? Sure, everyone does. They were pretty seasoned during the last album and tour and it was still superb and the best selling album of 2008-2009. BLACK ICE!

Holding press confs does not sound like ACDC at all and Brian was in the UK yesterday. I dunno, hope the says something soonish, but do not think that it is a press conf.

Brian Johnson just spoke to the Telegraph and said that have no plans on retiring and confirmed that they will enter the studio in May (Vancouver). Tour is uncertain. But also confimed that one member has a debilitating illness.

AC/DC: We Are Not Retiring AC/DC Frontman Brian Johnson has told The Daily Telegraph in the UK that there is no truth in rumours

After 24 hours of specualtion surrounding the future of AC/DC, the band's frontman Brian Johnson has spoke publicly about the rumours.

Johnson told Jake Wallis Simons of the Telegraph that rumours that the band are about to split up following concerns for the health of Malcolm Young are not true

"We are definitely getting together in May in Vancouver," he told the Telegraph. "We're going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas. If anything happens, we'll record it."

Triple M did not get drawn into the wild speculation and rumour that has dominated music world in the last day or so.

More to follow...http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/music/news/2014/4/acdc-we-are-not-retiring/

Edited by Gibbo 27
  • Like 2

AC/DC: We Are Not Retiring AC/DC Frontman Brian Johnson has told The Daily Telegraph in the UK that there is no truth in rumours

After 24 hours of specualtion surrounding the future of AC/DC, the band's frontman Brian Johnson has spoke publicly about the rumours.

Johnson told Jake Wallis Simons of the Telegraph that rumours that the band are about to split up following concerns for the health of Malcolm Young are not true

"We are definitely getting together in May in Vancouver," he told the Telegraph. "We're going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas. If anything happens, we'll record it."

Triple M did not get drawn into the wild speculation and rumour that has dominated music world in the last day or so.

More to follow...http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/music/news/2014/4/acdc-we-are-not-retiring/

Doesn't sound like they have any definite plans to do anything either though. But this is at least reassuring to hear.

After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.

https://www.facebook.com/acdc/posts/10152370344752930?stream_ref=10

Does this mean they're gonna record (And presumably write) without Malcolm, since Brian said they're still getting together in Vancouver next month? :confused:

Jesus, what a mess. Best of luck to Malcolm and hopefully its not as sad as their reporting (that he can't remember stuff). Honestly, I don't know if AC/DC should continue without Malcolm. That ugly bastard is kind of the glue that holds the band together.

Like someone said earlier, it's his band. Angus might get the spotlight, but AC/DC has always been Malcolm's band.

I'm remaining hopeful since they've only said he's taking a break from AC/DC. Hopefully that means it's not as bad as some of the other reports have indicated.

Legendary Anglo-Australian hard rockers AC/DC have released the following statement:

"After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group's diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

"In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family's privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-malcolm-young-taking-break-from-acdc-due-to-ill-health/#1IEyyMZZ6ktl1h07.99

Oops, missed that it was already reported. Never really got into AC DC but it's sad. Maybe time to change the title of the thread since we've got official reports?

Edited by CheapJon

It's all still sketchy imo.

Musicians can talk like politicians sometimes.

Personally, I think Malcolm is done with the band, and there's going to be one more record and tour, without him, to say goodbye...and to pad the retirement fund.

Not taking a shot, just seeing it for what it appears to be.