BREAKING NEWS: Malcolm Young on leave from AC/DC due to health

highvoltage

We know from Brian that the brothers have been writing,material for a couple of years. I think that they want to record these songs, so we'll have one more album with Young/Young classics. It is more than fine by me, very excited to hear em. And above all, they would not record em without Mals blessing. So respect and cherish it. The worst case is that Mal is so ill that this is the last shot for him,to hear the finished songs and comment on the sessions. I hope that this is not the case. I hope that Mal will get better.

So Stevie or George will fill in on guitar, not optimal but still I'm really excited. Black Ice was superb. C'mon,guys, do it for Mal.

Kind of changing gears but just a note about a new album (posted from another forum I wrote this on):

I actually wish they wouldn't put out a new album and just tour for the 40th. I was looking at my iTunes today, and the problem with their setlists is they have so much, like the Stones, that they HAVE to play and then there's nothing left for anything else. The 11 are:

1. Hells Bells
2. Shoot To Thrill
3. Back In Black
4. You Shook Me All Night Long
5. TNT
6. Thunderstruck
7. Let There Be Rock
8. Whole Lotta Rosie
9. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
10. For Those About To Rock
11. Highway To Hell

They kind of can't get anyway with not playing those, and I understand that. So thats a little more than half the set. Once I looked at that I thought "oh, well there's a lot of room for rarities here. 8 slots or so." Then I remembered "right, its that every time they have a new album they insist on playing 4-5 songs every night from it" so now we're down to only 3-4 rarities. And those "rarities" are usually taken up by Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be and Shot Down In Flames and others of that ilk that are their typical standbys.

So, I'd say don't release a new album and tour off the catalogue you already have. They can play those 11 they have to, not worry about new stuff, and really explore their catalogue. I'd love it if the 8 slots or so were taken by:

1. What Do You Do For Money Honey or Have A Drink On Me
2. Heatseeker
3. Problem Child or Squealer or Rocker
4. Shake Your Foundations or Sink The Pink
5. Girls Got Rhythm or If You Want Blood (You've Got It)
6. Bad Boy Boogie or Go Down
7. Rock N Roll Damnation or Riff Raff or What's Next To The Moon
8. Jailbreak or a newer one like Stiff Upper Lip or Rock N Roll Train

That way they keep more of a balance, its not just hits and it really represents a 40th anniversary. Any AC/DC show is good, even if its for a newer album, but the fact is that they have so many hits, that the new album tracks then take up too much room and there's nothing left for the people that have seen these songs tons of times before. Go on one final tour and really open up the setlist.

Just a suggestion and something I thought of today when thinking about them doing a new album.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

Sad, Mal isn't that old is he? I think he's 61. I'm curious what the health issue is, there's been talk for a few months of someone in the band being ill, wasn't there? I've heard a variety of things, from a stroke to cancer, whatever it is hopefully he is able to overcome it.

I have a feeling they'll try to go on without Malcolm. AC/DC is such a big well known name, I'm sure at the least they'll do a goodbye tour with someone filling in for him.

I have a feeling they'll try to go on without Malcolm. AC/DC is such a big well known name, I'm sure at the least they'll do a goodbye tour with someone filling in for him.

No.... They'll end it, and probably still work together but not under that name. Kinda like Zeppelin.

That's all assuming the health issue is serious enough to end the band anyway, which they're denying, so.... :shrugs:

Either way, sucks to hear about this.

Sad, Mal isn't that old is he? I think he's 61. I'm curious what the health issue is, there's been talk for a few months of someone in the band being ill, wasn't there? I've heard a variety of things, from a stroke to cancer, whatever it is hopefully he is able to overcome it.

This makes me laugh, you saying he 'isn't that old is he"? He is 61 yet so many call Axl old at 52!!!

This makes me laugh, you saying he 'isn't that old is he"? He is 61 yet so many call Axl old at 52!!!

Axl is not that old.

• Like 1

Axl is not that old.

I've never called Axl "Old".

The fact is, in todays society, I've met a ton of people still going strong into their 70s. Many people are living into their 80's and 90's while still maintaining a normal lifestyle. 60 isn't what it used to be.

NuAC/DC.

God if they get some guy with a lame stage name and a braided beard who starts noodling like an angry bumblebee over the classics, I'm gonna go postal.

I like bumblefoot, I'd be more upset if they got a goth guy with a top hat who makes poses like Hulk Hogan.

Joking aside though, hopefully everything works out and Malcolm is able to make a full recovery.

Edited by liers
  • Like 1

Axl is not that old.

I've never called Axl "Old".

The fact is, in todays society, I've met a ton of people still going strong into their 70s. Many people are living into their 80's and 90's while still maintaining a normal lifestyle. 60 isn't what it used to be.

NuAC/DC.

God if they get some guy with a lame stage name and a braided beard who starts noodling like an angry bumblebee over the classics, I'm gonna go postal.

I like bumblefoot, I'd be more upset if they got a goth guy with a top hat who makes poses like Hulk Hogan.

Joking aside though, hopefully everything works out and Malcolm is able to make a full recovery.

No you haven't said Axl is old, but others on the forum have. Someone's name is even Axlisold.

I should have clarified that Liers - sorry.

Since AC/DC is Malcolm's baby I imagine he'll still give the approval for anything the band does this year. Since the official announcement mentiones new music, I bet it was Malcolm who encouraged the band to move forward with the 40th Anniversary plans. As someone mentioned, Angus and Malcolm have both mentioned doing writing since Black Ice so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have plenty of riffs to bang into songs.

If Malcolm isn't well enough for the recording sessions, then my vote at this point would be to have Angus cover both lead and rhythm guitars for the album and then bring out Stevie for the tour.

How weird will it be picking up an AC/DC album without Malcolm? Granted, I imagine he'll still have songwriting credits for riffs and whatnot. I also won't be surprised if this means Brian will lend a hand to the lyrics this time around as he initially said he would for Black Ice.

Since AC/DC is Malcolm's baby I imagine he'll still give the approval for anything the band does this year. Since the official announcement mentiones new music, I bet it was Malcolm who encouraged the band to move forward with the 40th Anniversary plans. As someone mentioned, Angus and Malcolm have both mentioned doing writing since Black Ice so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have plenty of riffs to bang into songs.

If Malcolm isn't well enough for the recording sessions, then my vote at this point would be to have Angus cover both lead and rhythm guitars for the album and then bring out Stevie for the tour.

How weird will it be picking up an AC/DC album without Malcolm? Granted, I imagine he'll still have songwriting credits for riffs and whatnot. I also won't be surprised if this means Brian will lend a hand to the lyrics this time around as he initially said he would for Black Ice.

I could live with that.