Joe Perry: "I had great hopes of GNR carrying the torch"

The thing that confuses me is we really don't get an angry feud until 2001. Every thing between 97-00 seemed to be less heated (as far as the interviews go) Even talk of Slash playing on Chinese Democracy. So the break up seemed to get bad with the lawyers and law suits that occurred after Axl reformed GNR.

Marc says the breaking point was 2006. Axl's made it pretty clear he was no fan of Slash's autobiography, I also wonder what else happened in '05/'06 that led to the door being closed.

The thing that confuses me is we really don't get an angry feud until 2001. Every thing between 97-00 seemed to be less heated (as far as the interviews go) Even talk of Slash playing on Chinese Democracy. So the break up seemed to get bad with the lawyers and law suits that occurred after Axl reformed GNR.

Marc says the breaking point was 2006. Axl's made it pretty clear he was no fan of Slash's autobiography, I also wonder what else happened in '05/'06 that led to the door being closed.

2006 reunion would have been amazing! Idk maybe the breaking point was VR dressing like NuGNR. Or Axl going to see a therapist or healer that told him Slash was evil. Who knows? Axl should shed some light on this. His reasons must be ridiculous if he hasn't said anything too specific yet.

Both Axl and Slash have said it wasn't due to musical differences, but I really can't see how that wasn't a factor. Slash wanted a GNR album at the very least in the vein of It's Five O' Clock Somewhere, and Axl and Duff wanted something more progressive, with Axl specifically trying to draw inspiration from Pearl Jam and NIN (My World seems to have been Axl trying to go Trent, and Dead Horse an attempt at a lo-fi grungey Nirvana sound, though both weren't entirely successful in their attempts in my opinion).

Yes, undeniably the egos of both Axl and Slash meant they both wanted greater control of the band, but I can see that being less of an issue if they were on the same page musically. What's interesting to me is this comment from Axl:

Axl from 2002: "Had Slash stepped up and written what we captured glimpses of, it would have created an environment that was beyond Slash’s ability to control. He did not want to do that or put himself through the rigours of taking the band to that level even if he was capable of writing it. Was he capable of doing it? Absolutely 100%. I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith’s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. "

So yeah, maybe it wasn't due to musical differences all the time, but I think around the time of the first Snakepit album Slash probably thought he could meet with greater success than he did because of the UYI tour and tried to push for the next GNR album to be a southern rock/blues-rock deal. I can't blame him for wanting to go solo with all the late starts and spats during the UYI tour, and I do agree that the loss of Steven and later Izzy was huge for GNR. AFD was a group effort, the songs that weren't leftovers from those sessions on the UYI albums seem to have a singular voice (November Rain and Estranged from Axl, 14 Years and Dust N' Bones from Izzy), though I still think some of them are brilliant.

Slash, Gilby and Matt wrote the Snakepit album so Axl's claim that Slash had to be in control is shaky at best considering he was the one trying to get them all, including Duff, to sign contracts making them all his employees. He also did not show up to rehearsals which makes it hard to write as a band.........And you do realize Duff has a writing credit on the Snakepit album for Beggars so he was involved to some extent............

Axl was offered the 5 O'Clock songs and turned them down. It wasn't until after Axl did this that Slash went solo with them and was still talking in interviews about getting back to do the next Guns album with Axl after the tour so it does not sound like he was planning on going solo...........I think Slash would have been more receptive to Axl if he had been met them all half way but Axl wanted full control and that most likely contributed to Slash's "fuck you" attitude in the end........IMHO

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

2006 reunion would have been amazing! Idk maybe the breaking point was VR dressing like NuGNR. Or Axl going to see a therapist or healer that told him Slash was evil. Who knows? Axl should shed some light on this. His reasons must be ridiculous if he hasn't said anything too specific yet.

You know you might have a point there as Slash does dress like DJ wearing that tophat ..............that copy cat MFer!................ :P

Edited by classicrawker

Slash, Gilby and Matt wrote the Snakepit album so Axl's claim that Slash had to be in control is shaky at best considering he was the one trying to get them all, including Duff, to sign contracts making them all his employees. He also did not show up to rehearsals which makes it hard to write as a band.........And you do realize Duff has a writing credit on the Snakepit album for Beggars so he was involved to some extent............

Axl was offered the 5 O'Clock songs and turned them down. It wasn't until after Axl did this that Slash went solo with them and was still talking in interviews about getting back to do the next Guns album with Axl after the tour so it does not sound like he was planning on going solo...........I think Slash would have been more receptive to Axl if he had been met them all half way but Axl wanted full control and that most likely contributed to Slash's "fuck you" attitude in the end........IMHO

Possibly, but according to Axl, Slash was the one who wanted the songs on the next GNR record as they were, without any changes. Whether that's the truth, I don't know, but to me it's not out of the question that Slash was looking to perhaps take the lead role in the band.

What's interesting about Duff's book is I got the impression from reading it that they barely came up with any stuff as a band during that period. Slash and Matt make it seem like there were albums of songs, and even Axl in that "Aerosmith Rocks '99" quote makes it seem like there were some almost full-fledged tracks.

Possibly, but according to Axl, Slash was the one who wanted the songs on the next GNR record as they were, without any changes. Whether that's the truth, I don't know, but to me it's not out of the question that Slash was looking to perhaps take the lead role in the band.

What's interesting about Duff's book is I got the impression from reading it that they barely came up with any stuff as a band during that period. Slash and Matt make it seem like there were albums of songs, and even Axl in that "Aerosmith Rocks '99" quote makes it seem like there were some almost full-fledged tracks.

Slash, Duff, Gilby, Matt all infer Axl was the one whose ego got out of control and wanted to run the show not Slash so who should we believe the one or the many telling the same story?........even Duff has been quoted that unless you did things Axl's way they would not get done ....Considering Axl's power play for the band name and desire for them all to sign employment contracts and also with him rarely showing up for rehearsals or recording sessions I find it hard to believe Axl's story that Slash was trying to take over........seems to me he was trying to work with Axl but in the end finally said fuck you when things went nowhere............ :shrugs:

Joe and Steven's falling out was more like Mick and Keith, and it wasn't a big deal for them to get back together because they were willing to work it out and compromise. Axl has no concept of what compromise is, the word doesn't exist in his world.

From Walk this Way I got that both of them were on drugs but maybe Tyler was worse. But when it came down to it they could blame the drugs.

Axl and Slash different. Axl is like the sober asshole dad to bunch of too cool for school junkies. Slash will never accept that he had too big a problem and the don't have that to bound over. Axl was just made the scapegoat so Slash could do what he wanted.

What is weird is that Slash, Duff had the studio time to do exactly what they did on UYI. Come up with material, then help Axl with his stuff. But Slash almost certainly didn't put that much effort in or it's really Izzy that wrote the songs on UYI. Slash is vital to convert the Izzy songs into GNR songs and provide the overall sound. But without Izzy songs and his lack of interested in Axls ballads it's no surprise they came to a stand still.

It's like Slash finally got sick of his boss and just told him to go fuck himself after he won the lottery.

I think Axl just wanted to work on the Snakepit stuff and combine it with his ideas. Seems reasonable after success of Nov Rain.

I felt like the band ran out of ideas. And Axl had some inkling of what they needed just to spice it up a little.

I just think if Slash had come to an agreement with Axl and not just run off we could have had a reunion in 2000.

When you look at the number of musicians who have come and gone over the years, it's kinda hard not to blame Axl for all the failures in GNR's history. I'm sure Axl cracks jokes all the time and is very very, really loyal to his people, but it must be hell to get any work moving forward with him on board.

Yeah man, especially since he became the "sole survivor" there really isn't anybody else to blame, is there?

The track record of Axl's GNR speaks for itself, and while there's always some story about un named saboteurs and villains like managers and record companies doing their utmost to prevent Axl from achieving his glorious destiny, Blind Freddy can see what the common factor in it all is.

Joe and Steven's falling out was more like Mick and Keith, and it wasn't a big deal for them to get back together because they were willing to work it out and compromise. Axl has no concept of what compromise is, the word doesn't exist in his world.

From Walk this Way I got that both of them were on drugs but maybe Tyler was worse. But when it came down to it they could blame the drugs.

Axl and Slash different. Axl is like the sober asshole dad to bunch of too cool for school junkies. Slash will never accept that he had too big a problem and the don't have that to bound over. Axl was just made the scapegoat so Slash could do what he wanted.

What is weird is that Slash, Duff had the studio time to do exactly what they did on UYI. Come up with material, then help Axl with his stuff. But Slash almost certainly didn't put that much effort in or it's really Izzy that wrote the songs on UYI. Slash is vital to convert the Izzy songs into GNR songs and provide the overall sound. But without Izzy songs and his lack of interested in Axls ballads it's no surprise they came to a stand still.

It's like Slash finally got sick of his boss and just told him to go fuck himself after he won the lottery.

I think Axl just wanted to work on the Snakepit stuff and combine it with his ideas. Seems reasonable after success of Nov Rain.

I felt like the band ran out of ideas. And Axl had some inkling of what they needed just to spice it up a little.

I just think if Slash had come to an agreement with Axl and not just run off we could have had a reunion in 2000.

And where are you getting your information from for all your accusations about Slash?

Slash did not want to work on UYI? really? then how come when they all went to Chicago to write UYI Axl did not show up for over 1 month? Why did the band, who were in the studio working on songs, have to run tapes to Axl at his home for approval when they were trying to create the demos. why wasn't he in the studio with them and only showed up when the raw demos were finished to add all his overdubs? and if Slash gave up and did not work on the album why did Izzy complain that Slash mixed down his guitar parts?

And please explain what problem Slash had that he could not overcome?.......Slash was fucked up for sure but it never effected his ability to do his job. He never missed a show, was never late going on stage or was there for the band rehearsals and recording sessoins unlike Axl.

Regarding the Snakepit songs Slash did offer them to Axl and he turned them down and only wanted to work on them after Slash had already committed to the solo project. This was confirmed by Gilby and not just Slash..........

And you do realize that everyone quite on Axl including Duff and Izzy and not just Slash right? and you do know why they all quite yes?

I have no illusion that Slash is totally innocent in the band breakup but you could at least try to be accurate on what happened instead of trying to rewrite history............

Slash, Duff, Gilby, Matt all infer Axl was the one whose ego got out of control and wanted to run the show not Slash so who should we believe the one or the many telling the same story?........even Duff has been quoted that unless you did things Axl's way they would not get done ....Considering Axl's power play for the band name and desire for them all to sign employment contracts and also with him rarely showing up for rehearsals or recording sessions I find it hard to believe Axl's story that Slash was trying to take over........seems to me he was trying to work with Axl but in the end finally said fuck you when things went nowhere............ :shrugs:
I actually think it was Slashs response to Axl being a control freak and everything else. No doubt Axl must be hard to take sometimes. But Axl seems to have the best intentions for GNR. Snakepit wasn't a GNR record. Without Izzys songs they needed Axls material and maybe Slash saw Axl was going big. You can imagine how some of ideas might sound.

Slash just got sick of not getting to do it his way. GNR was the combo of all of them, but none of them being happy with it all.

It's just the way quit locked that door forever. If you do that then you can't complain and blame others.

Slash has a pretty solid case because he's very talented and embodies rock n roll for a generation and Axl is an asshole I guess. But he didn't handle it the right way. It's on Slash in the final analysis.

I think with Slash on board Axls songs like TIL, The Blues and Catcher may have had even more of a GNR sound and be backed more by the label. Plus some Slash riffs, even stuff off Snakepit like I Hate Everybody but you maybe have been done by 1999-2000. Axl was ready to go the Beavan record in 2000 but the label weren't convinced.

Reality is Slash didn't pull his finger out till 2004 with Contraband. So take the best of that and CD and you have a big record.

• Like 1

It seems to me that people who weren't around at the time have little perspective on just how out to lunch Axl was getting. Of course I'm not saying that Slash didn't contribute to the problems, but Axl lost his marbles, well on his way to Yoda and past lives and exorcisms and all that shit, and that was THE problem. And just like today you couldn't get him to go near a studio with any sort of consistency, so the music side was fucked regardless of what material they might have chosen.

Yeah but it's not like it's one or the other, sure all the Yoda/exorcism shenanigans would have delayed a new album, but I reckon if they were on the same page musically they could have had a new album by '97 or '98. Slash is the one who has pushed musical differences as the key reason for the split, Axl seems to focus more on personal differences, none of the factors are mutually exclusive.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't seem to remember Slash ever pushing musical differences as the key reason for the split or that he expected Snakepit to be the next GnR album?.....I have 80-90 different magazine interviews, which I posted access to here at one point, from that era and can't remember Slash ever saying what you claim..........But then again I have not read them in a couple for years so maybe Slash did say the things you claim in some interview I have forgotten..........

Slash has given numerous reasons for why he left, and I think all of them were real and cumulatively made him leave. He has also on many occasions claimed that he primarily left because of musical differences with Axl:

Slash: I quit the group because of musical differences. I wanted to continue doing the hard rock thing, and he wanted to do techno-rock or something [Slash’s Heroes & Villains, NME, October 2000].

Slash: I just wish the fucker would get the fuckin’ record out so I could see why he took something so cool and systematically, destroyed it. I want to hear where he was headed, and what he was trying to communicate that none of us in the band could relate to [Modern life is rubbish, Kerrang! 10th of June, 2000].

Slash: I think the split-up between [us] was a little more bitter [than with other GNR members]. But it wasn't so much personal as it was a disassociation from what I thought he was doing and consequently what it was that I wanted to do. So we just parted ways and I haven't talked to him since [boston Globe, April 2000]

As for Slash bashing Axl, there are many quotes from him describing Axl in less than flattering words, to bashing Axl's music (Slash wasn't really fond of Axl's piano-driven ballads) and friends (Paul Huge). He also attacked Axl through lawsuits. I do not for one second feel that Axl's vehemence is in proportion to what Slash has said, but I can honestly understand where some of Axl's animosity comes from (because regardless of what Axl thought about Slash he kept it to himself til Slash had left the band, whereas Slash started to spew bitterness in the media way before that point). Anyway, Slash should know Axl enough to understand that when his loyalty was flipped due to Slash going public with the criticism, then Axl would turn his back to him.

This isn't true at all. At the time he made public comments deriding the first Snakepit album among other things.

That's interesting. Could you provide me with some sources?

I think with Slash on board Axls songs like TIL, The Blues and Catcher may have had even more of a GNR sound and be backed more by the label. Plus some Slash riffs, even stuff off Snakepit like I Hate Everybody but you maybe have been done by 1999-2000. Axl was ready to go the Beavan record in 2000 but the label weren't convinced.

Reality is Slash didn't pull his finger out till 2004 with Contraband. So take the best of that and CD and you have a big record.

Fuck, if Contraband had the input of Axl, and Chinese had the input of Slash than we might have two incredible records.

I think it’s silly to say one person was all to blame for it. They are both ‘to blame’. Their personalities never matched (I think Slash even called Axl his Nemesis) and by the time they were really famous, they both wanted to pursue their vision.

If you say, well, it’s obvious that Axl is hard to work with, look at his track record, that’s true. In the same way you can look at Slash’s and understand that Slash too wanted control of the band. Look at his band now, Slash feat Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. It’s all about Slash, the video is all about Slash. I’m not saying it’s wrong, because I think it’s not, but it’s just the way it is.

To me, Axl and Slash both wanted control, and in the beginning, Axl won. From then on Slash (and Duff, I suppose) has done everything to sabotage GNR. We all know of the many lawsuits, I’m sure they had a lot to do with the constant delays of CD, if maybe only because they affected Axl. Again, I’m not saying those lawsuits weren’t justified, I don’t know that, I wasn’t there, I’m not an insider. That’s just the way it is.

There’s always a lot of speculation as to why Axl hates Slash, while he is okay with Duff and Izzy. We don’t know what’s been going on behind the scenes, there have been many lawsuits, I would think they are a major reason. As recently as with the blu-ray there have been problems with Slash throwing a spanner in the works, we know that from Rockfuel. Once again, I’m not saying Slash didn’t have a reason to, because we don’t know that. Maybe his protest was justified, but it would certainly do the relationship no good regardless. Who knows how many other instances were there like that ? I wonder, after seeing the credits in the blu-ray. Suddenly Slash had the first credit to both NR and Estranged, Axl’s baby ???

At the end of the day, I personally think it’s very sad, because both of them are less successful than they would be together. Axl’s work misses Slash and Slash’s work misses Axl. That’s my opinion anyway. But a reunion ? I don’t think it could be a success, that time has long passed and the wounds are too deep.

I think the reason Axl hates slash more than Duff lies in those quotes above, Slash says Axl systematically tried to destroy what they built and wanted to do techno-rock. According to Axl that's not how it was. They seem to have tried to work out a more traditional GNR record, Snake pit was even discussed and there's rumors of another attempt, the 4 hour convos trying to work it out. Slash presents it like Axl tried to force them, they quit. But Duff didn't, he thought Snakepit needed work. Slash was even asked to come back to play on some songs on CD. So it doesn't seem so cut n dried as the way Slash is quoted. I think he was really on a rip giants with Snakepit lyrics too. I bought the Snakepit tape and listened to the Rock show and Slash called Axl "a little bastard" for not releasing anything. Remember that Insame Clown Posse story where Slash was bitching about Axl to them. What a disaster.

Whether all that is true is another thing, but these maybe part of why Axl hates Slash. Because to him what happened and how Slash has painted it are completely different. And this cemented the media/fans against Axl, not that he hadn't done some ground work there but it set the tone.

As fans we don't know. Some look at Axl and see an asshole, others look at Slash and see a snake.

I guess I decide by the simple fact of Slash quitting and in a such a way that it just made things more difficult. But I can see why he did. Axl is dominate and for GNR to be a success Axl has to catered to.

It's probably B and S, isn't it? Like Wrestle mania, they are just setting us for the biggest reunion of all time.

U2 never changed to become popular. They were already massively popular before they changed. U2 could've sat back and put out Joshua Tree part 2 and stayed massively popular but they changed based partially out of not wanting to become caricatures of themselves and because they knew they music and what they were singing about wasn't going to be what was needed or wanted in the 90s. I hear what you're saying Wasted but U2 is an awful example of a band who changed their act of who and what they were to become popular. They already were massively popular and actually took a huge risk transforming from Joshua Tree/ Rattle and Hum U2 into Achtung Baby/Zooropa U2. Their change wasn't anything like the Aerosmith's change. Not even remotely close to it at all.

For once I agree with you! (If this was a U2 forum, I'd probably agree with you more than here anyway :lol: )

I agree it's a different change, but the change was still necessary. Aerosmith went more commercial with songwriters, U2 took a risk to take on board industrial and dance rock. but the goal was the same to remain a big band. U2 were seen as boring fucks, Aerosmith were perfect for MTV and all those bands. What I was saying is that bands have to change to survive, GNR were very stubborn. I would say Slash is more like ACDC, it's different spins on the same thing. Oasis did that to some success. It's just that Slash's next spin seemed to be a Draw the Line-style record. After the hysteria or grandeur of UYI it may have been a nose dive. Not many of those songs were really going to impact next to what they already did.

Fuck, if Contraband had the input of Axl, and Chinese had the input of Slash than we might have two incredible records.

I think Sucker Train Blues, Slither and Fall to Pieces would have worked well with The Blues, Catcher in the Rye and This I Love. With maybe Time Gone By and Shuffle it All from Izzy. That's a GNR side of music.

• Like 1

Has anyone besides Axl ever even hinted at the idea that Slash wanted to take over the lead role and dictate GNR's direction?

No, nobody else has come forward to corroborate Axl's side of the story but Duff, Matt, Izzy, Tom Zutaut, Alan Niven, etc. have said many of the same things Slash claims happened so who do we believe the one or the many?........... :shrugs:

Duff confirmed Axl's point that Slash wanted to do Snakepit as it was. Duff was with Axl and didn't agree. Axl and Duff had some ideas about it.

Izzy has also said Slash tried to take over on UYI (was this on Eddie Trunk around IRS leak) - unconfirmed yellow king endorsed evidence.

I think thats all it is too, just Slash coming in we're doing it like this, everyone goes maybe not, he goes and does it solo, basically abandoning the GNR project for a year or two?

Slash just didn't want to do more nov Rain and Estranged type stuff, he even said that he didn't want anything to do with Axl's "Stephanie Seymour ballads"

and he quit.

As a fan it's obvious looking at it. Sure Axl can be a prick, confirmed by everyone.

Then look at the out put of Slash and Axl. Polar opposites. They used to kind of stick it together. slash didn't want to it anymore. too much hassle obviously.

The difference is Slash refused to work on Axl's songs, Axl was open to work on Snakepit material.

There's no way Axl wanted Slash to leave, but he wasn't going to knowingly put out something he didn't believe in. That's just my impression. They had no reason to do that. They could have just done nothing and still been awesome, why rush it?

I think it was wise to assess the situation, musically, the landscape and the drug use which eventually got to Slash. Imagine if he needed an adrenaline shot and nearly died on a GNR tour. Duff was in serious peril to. So in the end it's kind of side issue. They were so huge and fucked up they needed to work stuff out. not through a half assed record and go on a pointless tour.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Duff confirmed Axl's point that Slash wanted to do Snakepit as it was. Duff was with Axl and didn't agree. Axl and Duff had some ideas about it.

Izzy has also said Slash tried to take over on UYI (was this on Eddie Trunk around IRS leak)

You're going to have to do better than that. I don't suppose it's your style to find actual quotes? :lol:

Has anyone besides Axl ever even hinted at the idea that Slash wanted to take over the lead role and dictate GNR's direction?

No, nobody else has come forward to corroborate Axl's side of the story but Duff, Matt, Izzy, Tom Zutaut, Alan Niven, etc. have said many of the same things Slash claims happened so who do we believe the one or the many?........... :shrugs:

Yeah, honestly it's kind of shocking to me how many people have allowed themselves to be snowed when what went down is pretty much plain as day.

Yeah I have a playlist Suckertrain, Slither, Fall to Pieces, Time Gone By, Shuffle it All, SOD, Catcher, TIL. Izzy's stuff in the middle really smooths the transition into CD material. You get the excitement of Contraband and the chillness or Izzy and the epic of Axl.

Izzy has also said Slash tried to take over on UYI (was this on Eddie Trunk around IRS leak)

You're going to have to do better than that. I don't suppose it's your style to find actual quotes? :lol:

Yeah, honestly it's kind of shocking to me how many people have allowed themselves to be snowed when what went down is pretty much plain as day.

It's true, Duff even says in his book how he didn't agree that Snakepit could be GNR without work. When Duff got sober he used to hang with Axl and talk about how to save the band.

One of the reasons Izzy left is he couldn't hang out with Slash and Duff as they tried to kill themselves. Axl raw dogging him on touring pay probably didn't help either. Lost fees for being 4 hours late.

Izzy couldn't handle touring with Axl, Slash couldn't handle working in the studio with Axl.

I feel like a GNR album should have some stuff like SOD and Catcher on it at least. I'm not sure why Slash wouldn't work on that stuff.