My review of Slash's show on 9/9/14

Iron MikeyJ

@Nosaj,

You are correct, Slash does have the right to play that YCBM. I just found it to be in poor taste. Then when you add to the fact that Myles only does about 75% of the vocals, it really was a WTF is this shit moment for me. Had they done DTJ or Civil War I would have been more forgiving. But yes Slash has the right to play whatever he wants, but IMO Slash's band playing YCBM is the same as Loaded playing it. But the difference is Duff wouldn't do that, he plays songs like So Fine which are HIS songs, that was my point.

No I totally get it man. You know what I find in poor taste? Axl playing It's So Easy. He didn't write it, Duff and West did. Axl shouldn't play Brownstone either, that's a Slash/Izzy tune. Remember when Axl played Think About You in 2002? I found that in poor taste since Izzy wrote it. Same with Patience, Axl shouldn't play that either since Izzy wrote it as well. Live and Let Die? nah, that's Paul McCartney's song. Axl shouldn't be doing it. Same with Bob Dylan's song, Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

You see how stupid that argument is?

Axl shouldn't play sweet child or jungle in the world according to mike.

band was great,saw em in august,

that being said i wish he played more VR, and slash does seem bored at times, so what if its "corporate" or whatever its what the MAJORITY of fans want, axl n slash on stage. in theory it could work as far as interviews, slash has been called a whore or the limelight by ppl, so he can give interviews and id be someone legit, axl can be in hiding like he likes as well.

lifes to short for hate, just patch things up.

at least on ppv concert guys,id be cool with matt with a deal with adler cant happen

Has Slash said he doesn't like SCOM since 1988?

No, he disliked it circa 1986-88 but then, 'grew to like it'. It is merely recycled, Joe ''I hate Dream On'', Slash nonsensical speak to make himself look, cool.

Talking out of your ass. Maybe it's just not fun for him to play. I have friends in bands and there's just some songs they don't like because they're not interesting to play or they're annoying to play.

It's just about Axls girlfriend, mid tempo ballad and a hit single. I don't think it's what Slash saw or wanted GNR to be about. Appetite for Destruction not Gay for Pussy.

I think it was just Slash being cool. Just like Nirvana saying they don't like Teen Spirit. They didn't really say that but sometimes it sounded like that.

But from Axls perspective why is he running one of big songs?

the original poster has some valid points. Myles has no stage presence.. The rest of Slash's band is particularly ordinary IMO... but none of that is of a major surprise to most people... it is what it is. Some people disagree and thats fine... but for me personally... if i was to go to that conert later in the year then im going for slash... and slash only! As for his set-list, i have no issue with him playing pretty much any of the old guns catalogue that he was involved in, im not that sensitive. If he wants to play SCOM... so be it, he wrote the riff... its his choice, same with YCBM... ill go to listen to HIM play it because thats what i want to see... sure Myles wont get it to the level that AXL had it at.. but i knew that BEFORE i bought the ticket...

I think anyone who uses this forum is a big enough fan to know what they are probably getting before they buy the ticket...

and that goes for Axl and his band.... there's no point buying a ticket to a new gnr concert and then complaining that the Ashba sucks... or the rest of the band dont do it for you etc etc... or Axl isnt hitting the heights of 88 or 91 or whatever... at the end of the day, if you go to see that concert.. you know you are getting 90% AFD/UYI songs with 10% CD... and maybe a couple of solos from whoever is doing one that night to give axl a rest...

It is what it is at the moment.

As for the rest of it... yeah id like axl to do a new album, yeah id like to see Slash and Axl put all this shit to bed between them and do a reunion tour as i think romantically.. (for me at least) thats the way this band should close the final chapter... even if this is sweet FA chance of it ever happening.

At the end of the day (as i said above)... this band has such a long history, there is so much water under the bridge now that fans are divided to such a point that its impossible to get everyone to agree on anything (and thats fine too)... if your a new gnr fan, then you have a set of opinions that may or may not differ to the older generation who grew up with the old band... some people are ok with both versions.. and everything in between. I have my own opinions on it... and even then i find myself contradicting myself on my own opinions when it comes to this band... thats just how it is (for me at least). :wacko:

anyway... im new to this forum... ive been reading for a while... ive learnt things already off here that i didnt know about thanks to the long time users... and its kept me entertained for more than a few hours.

cheers guys

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 4

@Tadsy,

I went to the concert to see Aerosmith, my wife had never seen them before, she really wanted to go. I was curious to see Slash's band, it was my first time seeing them. But ya I agree with what you said.

how was Aerosmith?

They are probably the most consistant band on the face of the earth. Never spectacular or amazing, but also never bad or let you down. I saw them in the late 90's, and honestly not much has changed. As far as singers go, I'd be lying if I didn't say that Tyler still has more left in the tank than both Axl and DLR (I've seen them both in the last couple of years). He performs their songs closer to the album versions than either Axl or DLR. But I did prefer both the VH and GNR concerts. Despite his flaws, Axl does put on a hell of a show, and they played for almost 3 hours, thats almost a whole hour more than both Aerosmith and VH (which both bands have bigger discographies). There is something I like about leaving a show and truly getting your ass kicked and ready to be done (I was exhausted by the time they got to Paradise City). Where both Aerosmith and VH left me wanting more, I could have easily asked for 5 or so more songs that I didn't hear that I wish I had. I would also say I prefered the VH show over Aerosmith because of EVH. As a guitar player, I just loving hearing that man play (which he really made up for the lackluster 2004 concert I went to). Even though DLR was the worst of the three (Axl, Tyler, DLR), Seeing EVH in top form more than made up for DLR's short comings.

So here is my rank:

1. NUGNR~ December 2011 (Axl was in top form for post 1996 shows, great show)

2. VH~ February 2012 (DLR was ok, but EVH was on fire)

3. Aerosmith~ September 2014 (Tyler was great, band was solid like always)

All three shows were stellar though.

• Like 1

Great review MIKE420. I am still a Slash fan, and while his solo work is great, he still seems like a guy without a band. He plays GNR tunes b/c they are more popular than his other stuff. He deserves better.

I am not craving a reunion like you tho. The worst thing about a possible reunion is if they only did it for the money. GNR was never about the money.

I was at that GNR and VH gig, Mike. I also saw Aerosmith on their 2010 and 2012 stops in Detroit. All great shows although DLR was pretty bad. I wouldn't want anyone up there with Eddie but he can't compare to Axl or Steven now

Did you go to the 2012 UCAP GNR gig at the Fillmore?

I was at that GNR and VH gig, Mike. I also saw Aerosmith on their 2010 and 2012 stops in Detroit. All great shows although DLR was pretty bad. I wouldn't want anyone up there with Eddie but he can't compare to Axl or Steven now

Did you go to the 2012 UCAP GNR gig at the Fillmore?

I really really wanted to, but the wife said no. It was literally like 2 days after the VH show if I remember correctly. The local radio station was giving away tickets, so I was calling in like crazy, cause the wife wouldn't be able to say no to free tickets. But no luck. :(

Great review MIKE420. I am still a Slash fan, and while his solo work is great, he still seems like a guy without a band. He plays GNR tunes b/c they are more popular than his other stuff. He deserves better.

I am not craving a reunion like you tho. The worst thing about a possible reunion is if they only did it for the money. GNR was never about the money.

That's true, gnr has always managed to maintain some sort of rock and roll dignity, unlike Aerosmith for example (for whatever thats worth). So I get the whole "don't do itfor the money attitude. I guess I'm just more of a realist than some on this forum, I have excepted the fact that they are essentially a nostolgia band at this point. Slash's album might get good reviews and even be pretty good, but it'll be dead this time next year. And if Axl ever decides to release another album, it will probably be pretty good, but I expect CD type numbers, maybe even less. I used to think Axl was going to come down of his mountain and give rock and roll the kick in the balls that it desperatly needs, but then CD was released. Obviously that didn't happen. At this point I'm not sure a true Axl/Slash gnr album could give rock and roll a jump start either, it appears to me that ship has sailed. They both seem regulated to the nostolgia circuit at this point, but what do you expect from a couple of 50 somethings? So I'm just calling it what it is, so as a fan, I'd rather see them play the nostolgia circuit together than a part. Might as well, what the hell is there to lose? Dignity? Respect? Being current? That ship has sailed my friends....

Pretty funny of you to chant that at Myles dude. He's not a bad vocalist but can easily go shit on guns tunes, have in fact thought about doing that myself but backed out of the Sydney, Nova Scotia show for many of the thoughts you mentioned other than being a little short on cash right now. I expected to be disappointed with that guy but on another note am jealous you got to see fucking Aerosmith. They were all through headphones for me on that day along with the first slash album and velvet revolver but now it's time for alien ant farm to hit the play list.

@Tadsy,

I went to the concert to see Aerosmith, my wife had never seen them before, she really wanted to go. I was curious to see Slash's band, it was my first time seeing them. But ya I agree with what you said.

how was Aerosmith?

They are probably the most consistant band on the face of the earth. Never spectacular or amazing, but also never bad or let you down. I saw them in the late 90's, and honestly not much has changed. As far as singers go, I'd be lying if I didn't say that Tyler still has more left in the tank than both Axl and DLR (I've seen them both in the last couple of years). He performs their songs closer to the album versions than either Axl or DLR. But I did prefer both the VH and GNR concerts. Despite his flaws, Axl does put on a hell of a show, and they played for almost 3 hours, thats almost a whole hour more than both Aerosmith and VH (which both bands have bigger discographies). There is something I like about leaving a show and truly getting your ass kicked and ready to be done (I was exhausted by the time they got to Paradise City). Where both Aerosmith and VH left me wanting more, I could have easily asked for 5 or so more songs that I didn't hear that I wish I had. I would also say I prefered the VH show over Aerosmith because of EVH. As a guitar player, I just loving hearing that man play (which he really made up for the lackluster 2004 concert I went to). Even though DLR was the worst of the three (Axl, Tyler, DLR), Seeing EVH in top form more than made up for DLR's short comings.

So here is my rank:

1. NUGNR~ December 2011 (Axl was in top form for post 1996 shows, great show)

2. VH~ February 2012 (DLR was ok, but EVH was on fire)

3. Aerosmith~ September 2014 (Tyler was great, band was solid like always)

All three shows were stellar though.

You do realize you compared 3 headlining sets to an opening act? Who has a back catalog as full as the 3 headliners you compared him to? Check out his headlining shows. His band is much better than nuGNR and much better in a headlining capacity.

I don't know why some of you are making such a big deal about Slash's band being the opener instead of the headliner. Yes obviously if they were the headliner they would play longer, that is a given. But how the band performs would not change. If NUgnr were opening for someone, yes their set would be shorter, but the bands performance would not change. Honestly it's a pretty poor arguement. Axl would still be Axl, just a shorter set version. You either have stage presence or you don't. Honestly I find it humerous that some of you are so bothered by my review....

• Like 1

I don't know why some of you are making such a big deal about Slash's band being the opener instead of the headliner. Yes obviously if they were the headliner they would play longer, that is a given. But how the band performs would not change. If NUgnr were opening for someone, yes their set would be shorter, but the bands performance would not change. Honestly it's a pretty poor arguement. Axl would still be Axl, just a shorter set version. You either have stage presence or you don't. Honestly I find it humerous that some of you are so bothered by my review....

You came up first with stupid arguments like half of his show he plays Guns tunes. In a headlining show it's not half of his show, it's a quarter. They play in much smaller venues regularly when they do headlining shows so you can't compare their regular stage presence with their stage presence on a bigger venue.

I've saw GNR 2010 and Slash and to me there is no competition. I'd choose Slash's show any day of the week. I love that rawness and the energy

Edited by Free Bird