2002 VMA's rehearsal footage

18 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

What the fuck was he thinking? Hard to believe the Axl I saw last week was the same person as the weirdo in 2002. 

This is why the age argument never works. He was 40 years in 2002 and he looked and sounded the worst in his career. At 40 he should have still had his explosive voice. Thank goodness he was able to recover from that nightmare to make the "reunion" work.  What a waste of time that entire era was. He should have just remained secluded.

Nah. From 2006 to 2010, Axl was singing his ass off, and he didn't need a reunion for that.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

He was coming off a period of heavy depression. One of the early producers of the Chinese Democracy album (Youth maybe?) said he had to follow Axl around his house banging spoons together trying to coax Axl to sing - he was pretty far gone

I don't get it? :question:

Why would following him around banging spoons together coax him into singing?

It was shocking, awful...and still interesting. I hated Axl for NuGuns, but the even more hateful thing about NuGuns was that Axl needed 6 more years for that Album.... absolutely ridiculous. What the fu was he thinking? 

Weirdest evolution of a band ever...its so shameful that he didn't say to himself: ok, i wanna do new music...so let's freeze gnr for next years...we will release more live dvds and an acoustic or s/m Metallica type album and I will do my own thing with my new band called 'Freakshow'. Best thing for me and the gnr legacy...

Instead of that...he harmed the gnr brand...invested 14 mio Bucks... released a horrible Album...and toured for years singing the old GnR Hits...Just wtf Axl?

• Like 2

I remember how excited I was to see GNR perform. I remember loving Madagascar when I first heard it. I also remember Axl saying "Round one" lol

Anyway, I got tickets for the Dallas and then got some refund money when Axl cancelled the shows after the NYC concert.

It was disappointing for any GNR fan.

Anyway, that's past and I've seen GNR 4 times since then. I think Axl has made up for his past mistakes and this year's reunion tour with Slash and Duff was the best concert I've ever seen.

The build up was so cool. Too bad Axl was completely out of breath after the Jungle opening scream and then thought it was  good idea to run around. 

Madagascar was the least awful performance, but that's not saying much. That said, while I love the track, what a weird choice for a TV performance...

4 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

He was coming off a period of heavy depression. One of the early producers of the Chinese Democracy album (Youth maybe?) said he had to follow Axl around his house banging spoons together trying to coax Axl to sing - he was pretty far gone

Where'd you hear / read this? Any more info on this 'depression' period? I was in full GnR geek mode round this time, gobblering up as much information and rumors and stories as possible, and don't recall the spoons comment. Super interesting though if you can point me somewhere plz?

2 hours ago, 1987b said:

Was there ever anymore chatter about footage of the 01-01-01 Las Vegas  show?  I remember ordering the DVD or vhs off of a Japanese website about 15 years ago but never got it.  

That's what you get when you cheap and pay for next decade shipping!

In all seriousness I'd love the 01-01-01 show. He sounded better in 2001 than he did in 2002 for some reason, his clean tone started to turn into "mickey".

9 hours ago, Frey said:

I don't get it? :question:

Why would following him around banging spoons together coax him into singing?

Trying to force him out of depression and into murderous rage at the nerve grating sound of someone follow him around and banging spoons? Not sure how it would get him to sing, but at least he wouldn't be depressed anymore?

They wouldn't get ten pence for this stuff now. Hoarders have missed the boat here, and that boat has sailed-off well beyond the horizon. Should have sold the footage sometime around 2003-06: now, nobody is interested!

Same applies to the (rumoured) House of Blues film.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They wouldn't get ten pence for this stuff now. Hoarders have missed the boat here, and that boat has sailed-off well beyond the horizon. Should have sold the footage sometime around 2003-06: now, nobody is interested!

TBH I wouldn't pay stupid money for any hoarded bootleg, its ridiculous that folk put such extreme dollar values on these things. Each to their own though, if someone wants to fork out a small fortune so be it. 

I agree with your comments that whoever is hoarding this (if for monetary reasons) then they've missed the boat. However disagree with things like HOB. Those were iconic moments in the history of the band, I'd love to still see and would probably watch relatively regularly the first HOB show. Fascinating time around that particular show, here's hoping it eventually gets leaked and revealed. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

TBH I wouldn't pay stupid money for any hoarded bootleg, its ridiculous that folk put such extreme dollar values on these things. Each to their own though, if someone wants to fork out a small fortune so be it. 

I agree with your comments that whoever is hoarding this (if for monetary reasons) then they've missed the boat. However disagree with things like HOB. Those were iconic moments in the history of the band, I'd love to still see and would probably watch relatively regularly the first HOB show. Fascinating time around that particular show, here's hoping it eventually gets leaked and revealed. 

Agreed -- I have a bizarre fascination and curiosity with that 01/01/01 HOB show. Like you said, there was such a mysterious aura around that time with the re-emergence of Axl and ofcourse the enigmatic Mr. Buckethead who had the skills and je ne sais quois quality to be a worthy replacement for Slash.

Such a wasted era -- the nu-band was never interesting except for that brief moment in time circa 2001-2002.  Only god knows what the hell was up with Axl and the cornrows, lack of eyebrows, weird clothing (even by his standards), and craptastic vocals.  He blew it. Losing Buckethead pretty much cut the nu band off at the knees. Axl never recovered from that loss.

Had he actually released the album between '99-2002, it would have been a hit record. There was so much hype, mystery, and interest in the band that just dissipated with that dreadful VMA performance and the disappearing act he pulled for the next 4 years. 

The HOB show from 01/01/01 is probably the only time the nu band has ever sounded raw and like an actual band instead of the overwrought circus they became on their '02 tour and beyond.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

agreed. they should have sold it to the highest bidder back in the day when there was still some mystique around GNR. now theres not much, if any interest in that stuff outside a hand full of fans. i personally don't care much at all about the VMA rehearsal tape. Im still interested in the HOB pro-shot but at this point it should just be a downloadable free-be.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

By all accounts, Axl turned in the record twice between 1999-2002 so blame the record company.

As far as the lack of House of Blues release, blame Slash and Duff. 

Agree with you on the "2000 intentions" album from 2000. Not sure if the complete clusterfuck that was 2002 could be blamed on the record company. I think they were panicking and wanted to protect their investment but as all of us know, Axl does what Axl wants. A guy who stays inside to watch a basketball game instead of going to play his own show (and subsequently causing a riot) is hardly someone who would bow to the demands of the record company. Maybe you're right, but it's hard to believe they could control the redhead.

And with regards to "Sluff" -- they protected the GnR brand as best they could from being dragged into the mud any further. With that said, I wish even a bootleg of this show would leak from Axl's vault.

• Like 1

I wouldn't pay a tuppence for anything from that era. Can we not just forget it happened? Axl dressed like a rapper, overtly baggy clothes!! Freaks like that Finky cretin and Bucketehead - and I quite like (some of) Buckethead's solo stuff but in Guns it was all wrong.

• Like 1