New album this year rumour

49 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Which is the Worst album?

Wings at the Speed of Sound on vinyl. Those dodgier Stones albums from the '80s I position (marginally) higher than Chinese Democracy. I did buy St Anger (an album I consider worse that Chinese Democracy) but I rather conveniently left it at a friend's house and fled the place within a week of buying it.

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

In 2008, Rock N Roll Train was a huge hit on radio while Chinese Democracy vanished into dust.

the fact that radio sucks is tangentialtangential

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Wings at the Speed of Sound on vinyl. Those dodgier Stones albums from the '80s I position (marginally) higher than Chinese Democracy. I did buy St Anger (an album I consider worse that Chinese Democracy) but I rather conveniently left it at a friend's house and fled the place within a week of buying it.

St. Anger was pretty bad. I'll take lulu over it anyday.

At the very least Axl might want Slash on the next record. Or it might have made him want to start again. 

I think he definitely wants Slash on the record and isn't rushing it. Slash will do Solo, Axl might do Angus. 

It's going to be years. Like 2020 before they get round to a release. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spirit said:

You're right. I guess the biggest changes from night to night were the 1991 shows before the release of the albums, they kinda tested the waters with their new songs. Once the albums were released, the setlist sorta settled.

Very true. 

Somebody in this topic said that the 7-song changes on this tour was very similar to the Illusions tour. 

My response was solely on posting the actual numbers of the Illusions tour. They played 49 songs, including 25 new ones (not including new covers) (or whatever the actual numbers were, on my phone so I can't go back and check).

Regardless of when the songs were played and when changes were made - Those are the facts - minus opinions and people trying to justify everything Axl does. 

For this tour to mirror the Illusions, which somebody said it did, Axl would have to debut 20 new songs during the remaining dates. 

Anybody wanna make a cash bet if that happens? I will give you two-to-one odds!!!!

22 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Very true. 

Somebody in this topic said that the 7-song changes on this tour was very similar to the Illusions tour. 

My response was solely on posting the actual numbers of the Illusions tour. They played 49 songs, including 25 new ones (not including new covers) (or whatever the actual numbers were, on my phone so I can't go back and check).

Regardless of when the songs were played and when changes were made - Those are the facts - minus opinions and people trying to justify everything Axl does. 

For this tour to mirror the Illusions, which somebody said it did, Axl would have to debut 20 new songs during the remaining dates. 

Anybody wanna make a cash bet if that happens? I will give you two-to-one odds!!!!

As somebody pointed out, the UYI tour was 192 shows... so let's see what happens with this tour. If they in fact are thinking about releasing new material, let's say next year sometime, I think we might see a similar although maybe not as extensive testing of new songs closer to a realistic release date.

Another scenario could be to finish off the "Not in This Lifetime... Tour", take a break to finish up new songs, then go on a dedicated new album tour. We might not hear anything new until then.

This is the "reunion tour" so to speak, I'm not surprised we're getting the hit parade. Slash, Duff and Axl back together is the ticket draw now. They might wanna save their new song ammo until the next tour, it could be their strategy enabling them to maintain the stadium appeal over a longer period of time.

• Like 2

On 4 November 2016 at 11:36 PM, Apollo said:

I would have rather gotten CD2 this year then see Axl go on tour for a couple more years, regardless of who is in the band. 

Axl/Slash and Duff have done hundreds of concerts together. Axl has released one album in the last 25 years. 

But i suppose it's all personal preference. Some people like bands that share their music and creative vision. Some people prefer touring bands that just play their classic songs. 

And if Axl has lost his creative drive and ability to create quality music - then maybe it is better that he has turned GnR into a pure nostalgic act. He is making tens of millions of dollars off this tour, so tit can't blame him for just chasing the money. 

My guess is CD's reception/nightmare swayed Axl to hits tours and reunion, included in that is he realised/ felt not many cared for CD era material. Not really his songs specifically but he's only doing one alternative 90s GNR album. You can take it or leave it. In the context of GNR it's not just releasing material, albums are artistic statements that don't need repeating. CD 2 or that material is maybe another spin on CD, a little free of GNR. But that wasn't encouraged or doesn't feel warranted. Axl has said he has fought to protect the legacy of Guns. Without the original band it does seem more like a defensive thing than swinging for the fences. 

So now we have the potential of this new line up. Maybe Axl has a few songs he'd like to get out with Slash on lead. But how or when that happens is another thing. If that happens maybe it will be free of CD era. 

It does seem like a huge ballache to make a GNR record. 

4 hours ago, Spirit said:

As somebody pointed out, the UYI tour was 192 shows... so let's see what happens with this tour. If they in fact are thinking about releasing new material, let's say next year sometime, I think we might see a similar although maybe not as extensive testing of new songs closer to a realistic release date.

Another scenario could be to finish off the "Not in This Lifetime... Tour", take a break to finish up new songs, then go on a dedicated new album tour. We might not hear anything new until then.

This is the "reunion tour" so to speak, I'm not surprised we're getting the hit parade. Slash, Duff and Axl back together is the ticket draw now. They might wanna save their new song ammo until the next tour, it could be their strategy enabling them to maintain the stadium appeal over a longer period of time.

I understand the Illusions tour was much longer. Somebody else said this tour was similar to the Illusions tour in terms of set list variety. I just posted the facts in response to that. I didn't bring up the Illusions as a comparison. Somebody else did. 

The rest of your post makes perfect sense. Most bands - 99% of them - would do exactly what you said. 

Since Duff and Slash are playing CD songs, it would have been a huge treat and cool thing if the boys would have played 1-2 unreleased CD2 songs on this tour. 

Axl was playing multiple CD songs live almost a decade before actually releasing CD. And GnR did that with the Illusions too. So it's been pretty customary for Axl to play new material before its album is our. 

It would have been cool for Axl to do that on this tour. No concert goers would have complained of GnR  played a new song during a show. 

And hopefully you are correct. It would be a joyous occasion of GnR releases an album in between tours. Hopefully that means next year. 

For the reunion tour they have a free pass on new material. Just seeing Slash snd Duff and then Coma and DTJ freshen it up. They could probably do a 15 track set list and nobody would complain. Same with album really. New material from Axl and Slash sells it. They were smart to tour before having to take the plunge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

I understand the Illusions tour was much longer. Somebody else said this tour was similar to the Illusions tour in terms of set list variety. I just posted the facts in response to that. I didn't bring up the Illusions as a comparison. Somebody else did. 

The rest of your post makes perfect sense. Most bands - 99% of them - would do exactly what you said. 

Since Duff and Slash are playing CD songs, it would have been a huge treat and cool thing if the boys would have played 1-2 unreleased CD2 songs on this tour. 

Axl was playing multiple CD songs live almost a decade before actually releasing CD. And GnR did that with the Illusions too. So it's been pretty customary for Axl to play new material before its album is our. 

It would have been cool for Axl to do that on this tour. No concert goers would have complained of GnR  played a new song during a show. 

And hopefully you are correct. It would be a joyous occasion of GnR releases an album in between tours. Hopefully that means next year. 

I don't believe there is any way Guns will release a new album next year. Axl said it's not going to be soon. Next year is soon.

And just because it's Chinese ll material or vault stuff, doesn't mean it can't still be used. There's nothing else. No matter what it is, it's still gonna be an Axl solo album with maybe Slash and Duff on it.

To me that means vault stuff, and tunes from the finished CD ll. But to start from scratch and let Slash write half an album? I can't see it.

Also... you know, Axl played Slash and Duff vault stuff and said they liked it. Why play it and why share they liked it? I think it's important for him they like it cause that's the material he wants to release with them perhaps. In any case, he's not gonna give up on his material he worked on for so many years, but maybe it could be a hybrid and they bring a few ideas of their own like Bucket did for example with Shackler's, Sorry, and Scraped.

Edited by Rovim

6 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Slash & Duff are probably itching to record new music.

I still think that they'll just put their own parts on whatever is already in the vault. Maybe one or two brand new tunes, but I'm guessing the majority of what they may do with GN'R will be CD-Vault stuff.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I still think that they'll just put their own parts on whatever is already in the vault. Maybe one or two brand new tunes, but I'm guessing the majority of what they may do with GN'R will be CD-Vault stuff.

Not so sure, Slash and Duff want royalties and they are in the partnership with Axl at least to some degree.  Making a change here and there on songs written by Finck, Tommy and Buckethead won't get them much. My guess is 70% or more new Axl/Slash/Duff songs and 30% or less CD leftovers.

19 minutes ago, Padme said:

Not so sure, Slash and Duff want royalties and they are in the partnership with Axl at least to some degree.  Making a change here and there on songs written by Finck, Tommy and Buckethead won't get them much. My guess is 70% or more new Axl/Slash/Duff songs and 30% or less CD leftovers.

Fair point. I (like the rest of us) just hope we eventually get to hear something

14 hours ago, wasted said:

My guess is CD's reception/nightmare swayed Axl to hits tours and reunion, included in that is he realised/ felt not many cared for CD era material. Not really his songs specifically but he's only doing one alternative 90s GNR album. You can take it or leave it. In the context of GNR it's not just releasing material, albums are artistic statements that don't need repeating. CD 2 or that material is maybe another spin on CD, a little free of GNR. But that wasn't encouraged or doesn't feel warranted. Axl has said he has fought to protect the legacy of Guns. Without the original band it does seem more like a defensive thing than swinging for the fences. 

So now we have the potential of this new line up. Maybe Axl has a few songs he'd like to get out with Slash on lead. But how or when that happens is another thing. If that happens maybe it will be free of CD era. 

It does seem like a huge ballache to make a GNR record. 

Or the musicians in the band could just do what most other musicians do. What Slash does in his solo band. What Duff does with his bands. 

While traveling the world together they could turn off the Netflix on non-show days and wrote songs together. You know - like all bands do. 

They aren't inventing a cure for cancer. GnR is a rock band. Pick 12 songs out and release 45 minutes of music for your fans to enjoy. Be a musician. 

It's that simple. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Or the musicians in the band could just do what most other musicians do. What Slash does in his solo band. What Duff does with his bands. 

While traveling the world together they could turn off the Netflix on non-show days and wrote songs together. You know - like all bands do. 

They aren't inventing a cure for cancer. GnR is a rock band. Pick 12 songs out and release 45 minutes of music for your fans to enjoy. Be a musician. 

It's that simple. 

Simple if your goal is to get it done with a general timeframe. Not so simple when every tune has to jump through hoops until it's finished, and then there's Axl taking a lot of time to actually release albums, so all the songs get reworked one way or another until release.

Even if it's good enough for the label and for Slash and Duff, it has to be something Axl truly believes is the right next step artistically. So while he doesn't seem to have any problem adding Slash and Duff to at least some tunes, and he said they liked what he played them,

it's not like any other band. Axl is Axl. He doesn't really write with other people in quite the same way. He doesn't just think about the fans when it comes to what the album is going to be or when it is going to be released and he gets there on his own pace and conditions.

Axl doesn't do what the musicians in other bands do. Nothing you can say can change that.

Edited by Rovim

6 hours ago, Padme said:

True.

But maybe they wouldn't be as adamant about royalties after playing in this regrouping. 

Slash and Duff are going to make 15-to-40 million dollars for a year of touring. Are they really going to squabble about making an extra hundred grand or two because of royalties on an album that will only sell a million copies?

I wonder if it's more of a package deal instead of two separate financial situations? Like Axl offered Duff the opportunity to pocket 30 million dollars if he played on tour and added his talents to CD2. 

19 minutes ago, Apollo said:

True.

But maybe they wouldn't be as adamant about royalties after playing in this regrouping. 

Slash and Duff are going to make 15-to-40 million dollars for a year of touring. Are they really going to squabble about making an extra hundred grand or two because of royalties on an album that will only sell a million copies?

I wonder if it's more of a package deal instead of two separate financial situations? Like Axl offered Duff the opportunity to pocket 30 million dollars if he played on tour and added his talents to CD2. 

I have a feeling that the "package deal" for Slash & Duff is a likely premise that will eventually (if not already) bring them aboard adding their talents to CD2.  This is the best paying and most lucrative gig they've had since they walked away from GNR in 96 & 97.  If anything, I could see them taking part in recording simply to keep the ship in the water for as long as possible.  I also think none would be opposed to adding a couple new songs into the live set to keep things fun and fresh.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Apollo said:

True.

Can you imagine Slash and Duff (not a pair of nobodys) rewriting and rerecording 14 or more songs written by Finck, Tommy and Buckethead? I'm not even sure if that is legal to beging with. If that is the case it makes more sense for Slash at least to write and record his own songs with Conspirators. As you said he is making a lot of money with the tour. If Axl wants to release CD 2 he better release what he has already the way he has it. And eventuallly make another album with Slash and Duff. On top of this we need to know what the record company has to say about what kind of album they want. Assuming they care about GN'R. If the record company cares about GN'R for sure they are more interesting in an album with Axl, Slash and Duff songs. 

48 minutes ago, Padme said:

Can you imagine Slash and Duff (not a pair of nobodys) rewriting and rerecording 14 or more songs written by Finck, Tommy and Buckethead? I'm not even sure if that is legal to beging with. If that is the case it makes more sense for Slash at least to write and record his own songs with Conspirators. As you said he is making a lot of money with the tour. If Axl wants to release CD 2 he better release what he has already the way he has it. And eventuallly make another album with Slash and Duff. On top of this we need to know what the record company has to say about what kind of album they want. Assuming they care about GN'R. If the record company cares about GN'R for sure they are more interesting in an album with Axl, Slash and Duff songs. 

Didn't that happen though when Foot came into the band? He added bits and pieces to songs created with Bucket and Robin  

For Pete's sakes, Axl got Brian May to lay down guitar parts for him....and then had other band members re-record the parts. 

And for sure the label would prefer a GnR album with Slash and Duff on it. But they probably wouldn't care who actually wrote the material. Whose playing it is more important than who wrote it in the label aspect. 

• Like 1