New album this year rumour

15 hours ago, wasted said:

If not specifically CD II songs, I could see some ideas, lyrics/melodies from that era coming through. Fortus has talked about working on a song which originates from Slash that came from before CD started. 

I feel like the reunion would effect Axl deeply and he might be inspired to write new lyrics/melodies also. Slash can record fast so I'm hopeful for 2017-19. 

I believe Axl real intention is to deliver a great Guns album and he will probably use a combination of existing material and new tunes based on where he's at right now musically, what kind of Guns album he wants it to be, and from a trilogy of albums you can kinda get a few good suggestions for a musical direction that would work now.

But I don't think it's gonna come soon. I am confident Slash can do to new material what he did for Sorry, Chinese, Catcher, This I Love, and Better.

So a UYI type of record but with no Izzy tunes is possible (Josh and Paul tunes) and makes sense, Slash comes up with new ideas, new riffs, adds a few tunes Axl would love like Robin brought Better. Most tunes could be reworked from the vault or from lyrics and melodies first, but it's kinda using Slash like Axl wanted to take a few ideas from Snakepit or a Fall To Pieces type idea that will speak to Axl.

Lyrical themes that are new and unrelated to themes Guns explored in the past could lead the artistic direction. Catcher, Shackler's, Chinese lyrics.

Love ballads are always good Guns filler. Axl can put it together and I think he wants to do it, but we're probably looking at 2020, 2021 at the very least.

Edited by Rovim

I want a new album but I don't believe in a new album, I don't think Axl will ever release music again, maybe the record label of someone of his family will get the finished and unfinished stuff that he have and release it when he dies, thats the only way I see new music coming from him

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

I believe Axl real intention is to deliver a great Guns album and he will probably use a combination of existing material and new tunes based on where he's at right now musically, what kind of Guns album he wants it to be, and from a trilogy of albums you can kinda get a few good suggestions for a musical direction that would work now.

But I don't think it's gonna come soon. I am confident Slash can do to new material what he did for Sorry, Chinese, Catcher, This I Love, and Better.

So a UYI type of record but with no Izzy tunes is possible (Josh and Paul tunes) and makes sense, Slash comes up with new ideas, new riffs, adds a few tunes Axl would love like Robin brought Better. Most tunes could be reworked from the vault or from lyrics and melodies first, but it's kinda using Slash like Axl wanted to take a few ideas from Snakepit or a Fall To Pieces type idea that will speak to Axl.

Lyrical themes that are new and unrelated to themes Guns explored in the past could lead the artistic direction. Catcher, Shackler's, Chinese lyrics.

Love ballads are always good Guns filler. Axl can put it together and I think he wants to do it, but we're probably looking at 2020, 2021 at the very least.

But how will that go over as the Reunion record? 

Basically just the next GNR album, the hybrid Guns album as the reunion album. 

They might want to strip down the sound and work from some Axl lyrics/melodies and make a VR style album. That would work as a reunion record. There may only be 2-3 actual Axl songs on it. 

10 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

I want a new album but I don't believe in a new album, I don't think Axl will ever release music again, maybe the record label of someone of his family will get the finished and unfinished stuff that he have and release it when he dies, thats the only way I see new music coming from him

Let's just say that I hope that does not end up being true. It would be the biggest waste of time, talent and potential...

I dont see a new album coming together as a band effort like AFD, it will probably end up Frankenstein style like UYI because Axl has so much material left he will want to use it, and everyone adds their own tunes to the new album. Axl has a lot in the vault, Slash will write some, who knows what Fortus wrote. Maybe a Steven guest drumming on a couple songs. That's what I see possible.

Best scenario would be if Axl scraped all the MUSIC that was written and adds the melodies and lyrics to stuff the line up right now composed, plus his 2 or 3 ballads. I dont want to hear anything from DJ Ashba or Bumblefoot on a new Guns record, which is why I dont understand the people who want them to release CD II? Like what? The big news is Slash and Duff are in the band, how would it look if the next release was an album by the older line up? That's the definition shooting yourself in the foot for the band.

3 hours ago, maxpax said:

Without Izzy and Steven no real GnR sound...so...no.

Having Steven and Izzy would make it sound 100 times for sure.  I think they could still do a good record without them if it weren't for Frank, Fortus and Melissa.. The thought of having those three anywhere near it sounds very underwhelming.

6 hours ago, wasted said:

But how will that go over as the Reunion record? 

Basically just the next GNR album, the hybrid Guns album as the reunion album. 

They might want to strip down the sound and work from some Axl lyrics/melodies and make a VR style album. That would work as a reunion record. There may only be 2-3 actual Axl songs on it. 

Certain classic Guns elements must be present for it to be accepted. What could hurt the quality of a next album given the circumstances of current Guns is if Axl will make artistic choices based on what the majority of fans want, but it's not what he wants to do or really brings something new like any past Guns album.

But no one has heard the material. If Axl truly cares about releasing something special, he needs to find the right balance between making it sound proper Guns, but also maybe not lose the artistic momentum of tunes that are out of the box but still work with Slash and Duff and in connection to Guns.

So he can build it from scratch and not use any vault material. But that may be too drastic and counter productive.

I think certain things like rasp, a clear production, a shitload of Slash solos and a more hard rock tunes compared to Chinese could satisfy most, and it can still co exist on the album with reworked tunes from the vault that could maybe fit.

As an example it could be 6 tunes from the vault (out of a trilogy of albums, it's likely something is still usable), 4 new Axl tunes built around lyrics and melodies, and 2 Slash tunes.

The ratio is less important, or if it's new or old if we're talking integrity. It all comes down to if Axl makes sure every song makes sense and the album pushes forward enough so it doesn't feel like they're trying to top their past work with a rehash cause it's impossible.

Axl said he likes to perform Chinese material. Maybe that could mean that even if he doesn't use any vault material or very little of it (unlikely) what he'll write next is probably still gonna be similar in many ways cause that's the musical direction he prefers.

He likes to play it live cause it represents him more as an artist. This is why I don't believe he's gonna forsake his goal to deliver substance, but it's clear he cares a whole lot about how it is received as well, so he'll might go full rasp and incorporate more hard rock tunes, but the idea is still to never go back cause what's the point of releasing more if it's just a rehash.

But maybe he'll just make a shitty rehash of Appetite as an excuse to keep making money by touring. Only it will be shitty and without Izzy. Very risky and doesn't fit with the way Axl has operated in the past when it came to what he wants a Guns album to be.

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

Certain classic Guns elements must be present for it to be accepted. What could hurt the quality of a next album given the circumstances of current Guns is if Axl will make artistic choices based on what the majority of fans want, but it's not what he wants to do or really brings something new like any past Guns album.

But no one has heard the material. If Axl truly cares about releasing something special, he needs to find the right balance between making it sound proper Guns, but also maybe not lose the artistic momentum of tunes that are out of the box but still work with Slash and Duff and in connection to Guns.

So he can build it from scratch and not use any vault material. But that may be too drastic and counter productive.

I think certain things like rasp, a clear production, a shitload of Slash solos and a more hard rock tunes compared to Chinese could satisfy most, and it can still co exist on the album with reworked tunes from the vault that could maybe fit.

As an example it could be 6 tunes from the vault (out of a trilogy of albums, it's likely something is still usable), 4 new Axl tunes built around lyrics and melodies, and 2 Slash tunes.

The ratio is less important, or if it's new or old if we're talking integrity. It all comes down to if Axl makes sure every song makes sense and the album pushes forward enough so it doesn't feel like they're trying to top their past work with a rehash cause it's impossible.

Axl said he likes to perform Chinese material. Maybe that could mean that even if he doesn't use any vault material or very little of it (unlikely) what he'll write next is probably still gonna be similar in many ways cause that's the musical direction he prefers.

He likes to play it live cause it represents him more as an artist. This is why I don't believe he's gonna forsake his goal to deliver substance, but it's clear he cares a whole lot about how it is received as well, so he'll might go full rasp and incorporate more hard rock tunes, but the idea is still to never go back cause what's the point of releasing more if it's just a rehash.

But maybe he'll just make a shitty rehash of Appetite as an excuse to keep making money by touring. Only it will be shitty and without Izzy. Very risky and doesn't fit with the way Axl has operated in the past when it came to what he wants a Guns album to be.

It would be kind of like going back to an AFD type of way of working. Just letting Slash loose on lyrics and melodies. Maybe it will be some older material they work up from 96. I still don't think it will be a rehash. But I see more pitfalls going full Fuck Yeah might be a mistake. 

I like the idea of each era - AFD, UYI, CD - on the record. And make a self titled album. 

53 minutes ago, passenger57 said:

Kirk Hammett called GnR a 'Nostalgia Act'
GnR cannot let this insolence stand!!
New album please fellas!! :headbang:

Kirk was right. 

Maybe that's why it's frustrating as a fan. We know that Axl once said he would HATE to become an artist that just played his hits. And we know that Axl has the talent and skill to release music that would do extremely well in the rock world. 

Heck, Axl could easily have three albums hit number one on the rock charts in the next year. Release a GnR record, an ACDC record and then his solo album (CD2). 

They would sell millions. They would have mainstream success. His fans would love it. Seems like a win-win for everybody. 

If only Axl had the same attitude about new music as he did 1986-1993 period. 

22 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I dont see a new album coming together as a band effort like AFD, it will probably end up Frankenstein style like UYI because Axl has so much material left he will want to use it, and everyone adds their own tunes to the new album. Axl has a lot in the vault, Slash will write some, who knows what Fortus wrote. Maybe a Steven guest drumming on a couple songs. That's what I see possible.

Best scenario would be if Axl scraped all the MUSIC that was written and adds the melodies and lyrics to stuff the line up right now composed, plus his 2 or 3 ballads. I dont want to hear anything from DJ Ashba or Bumblefoot on a new Guns record, which is why I dont understand the people who want them to release CD II? Like what? The big news is Slash and Duff are in the band, how would it look if the next release was an album by the older line up? That's the definition shooting yourself in the foot for the band.

22 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I would seriously LOVE for them to release CDII.

But I mean the 2002-2004 Bucket / Finck / Brain album (either the Beavan version or RTB, or both as a boxset), NOT anything from 2006 onwards.

Hopefully this will appear as a retrospective boxset in 15 years time...

• Like 1

I think Axl said at CE he wants to work from lyrics and melodies like AFD. Not build the music first like UYI and CD. Maybe some material from CD era will be stripped for lyrics and melodies for Slash and Duff to work off. 

Means they return to studio but should be quicker process with Slash. Slash and Duff could record on the road. It might help the energy to record on the fly. 

13 hours ago, yesfan18 said:

Wouldn't doubt if we get a greatest hits cd with 2-3 new tracks. Seems more responsible then a whole new album. Wasn't it rumored earlier in the year that Slash was laying down tracks for a new song?

For a big nostalgia act as Guns N' Roses a new greatest hits or 'best of' would be the next logical step. Axl Rose Family Company and his label could make life more profitable out of Sweet Child O' Mine and November Rain again, and also a great opportunity to hit the mainstream with This I Love and Better.

At this point, it would be quite ballsy to come out with two new songs and call it as good as classics like Patience or Estranged. However you could say that half the Greatest Hits album were covers.

Slash laid down a solo for Atlas Shrugged and a D chord somewhere, a professional wrestler said that.

• Like 1

I have a feeling it be a Live album to go  with the live  DVD of the Los Angeles gig / troubadour gig (DVD Extra)  

But then who knows! It could be a Greatest Hits album like Red White & Crue with 2/3 new songs 

Wibble Wallace was here