New album this year rumour

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Simple if your goal is to get it done with a general timeframe. Not so simple when every tune has to jump through hoops until it's finished, and then there's Axl taking a lot of time to actually release albums, so all the songs get reworked one way or another until release.

Even if it's good enough for the label and for Slash and Duff, it has to be something Axl truly believes is the right next step artistically. So while he doesn't seem to have any problem adding Slash and Duff to at least some tunes, and he said they liked what he played them,

it's not like any other band. Axl is Axl. He doesn't really write with other people in quite the same way. He doesn't just think about the fans when it comes to what the album is going to be or when it is going to be released and he gets there on his own pace and conditions.

Axl doesn't do what the musicians in other bands do. Nothing you can say can change that.

What if I stomp my foot and wag my finger at him!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Didn't that happen though when Foot came into the band? He added bits and pieces to songs created with Bucket and Robin  

For Pete's sakes, Axl got Brian May to lay down guitar parts for him....and then had other band members re-record the parts. 

And for sure the label would prefer a GnR album with Slash and Duff on it. But they probably wouldn't care who actually wrote the material. Whose playing it is more important than who wrote it in the label aspect. 

When you say CD 2 are you talking about the whole album or just a little touch here and there in a couple of songs? Not the same thing If Slash and Duff rewrite and record an entire album. Again as I said with Slash and Duff now back in the band we need to know what the record company has to say on the matter.

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

Or the musicians in the band could just do what most other musicians do. What Slash does in his solo band. What Duff does with his bands. 

While traveling the world together they could turn off the Netflix on non-show days and wrote songs together. You know - like all bands do. 

They aren't inventing a cure for cancer. GnR is a rock band. Pick 12 songs out and release 45 minutes of music for your fans to enjoy. Be a musician. 

It's that simple. 

That's the point it's not with GNR. I'm not saying I don't want 3 discs of what Axl thinks is half finished songs. 

I think there are some differences in GNR. 

Firstly I think it's Axl trying to express himself in the best way he can. Not just write "guns n roses" lyrics about liquor n whore or fame n fortune. 

Secondly I think having a huge record has become or is important to being GNR. It became a cage. Whether it's Axl's ego or just a situation that arises fron having such a big debut. I think it's a double edged sword. On one hand GNR haven't released as much as other bands, but they have held their position, never quite lost that mystique which meant fans are all over a reunion, and we are talking globally. But is it about new music or just this place in people's mind's that they never lost because they never released bollocks albums full of filler. Oh, they are just human. 

3rd point is that the rec company need or want them to sell a ton. Business wise. They just want the epic seller ever 5-10 years. GNR is their big hope. Or was until the ass fell out of the thing. But late 90s early 00s this was Guns' role. This doesn't exist right now. There's no big deal, so the label aren't that bothered. Maybe GH would sell more than a mediocre album? There's no glory in it, no hits or videos. See first two points and it's like a vicious cycle. 

But they are rolling like kings right now and you'd think all those fans would buy new material. But they don't. If there was 10 mil sales waiting they'd put it out. So it comes down to the artist's drive or bloody mindedness. Now Slash, Duff have Axl's back maybe they can do something for the fans. Living up to the hype is a problem. 

Then given the obvious problem in the band. Axl and Slash don't want to do the same things. I'd almost suggest doing two records. Slash plays on CD II, then Duff and Slash make a GNR record and Axl sings. Release them as a 2-cd package. Or side G, side R thing. 

We'll probably just get raped by re-releases of AFD, UYI with remasters and extra tracks. Probably a Very Best of GNR that Slash liked the tracklist of in 2006. A NITL live blu ray...

They hold what they have until the right situation arises. 

Edited by wasted
sorry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Padme said:

When you say CD 2 are you talking about the whole album or just a little touch here and there in a couple of songs? Not the same thing If Slash and Duff rewrite and record an entire album. Again as I said with Slash and Duff now back in the band we need to know what the record company has to say on the matter.

My hope is the deal was Axl showed them a record and they said get Slash on their and we'll release it. 

But they probably think more in terms of a Best of album with a bonus track to sell to hardcores. A new song called Not in this Lifetime could be huge. 

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

True.

But maybe they wouldn't be as adamant about royalties after playing in this regrouping. 

Slash and Duff are going to make 15-to-40 million dollars for a year of touring. Are they really going to squabble about making an extra hundred grand or two because of royalties on an album that will only sell a million copies?

I wonder if it's more of a package deal instead of two separate financial situations? Like Axl offered Duff the opportunity to pocket 30 million dollars if he played on tour and added his talents to CD2. 

There's no money in the record anyway. They might just be happy to fulfil Axl's vision. Ron put new rhythmn guitar on all CD tracks. Slash could do new leads on 6 Axl tracks and add 6 Slash songs. Like Apollo said it's that simple. But somewhere that idea has to work out. This could be the self titled record. 4 Slash tracks, 4 UYI style tracks, 4 CD era tracks. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Padme said:

Honestly - and this is just my opinion. Axl supposedly has anywhere from 20-to-90 songs at various forms of completion. Why sh*tcan what could be some really incredible music just because the last lineup imploded? Some of the songs slated for CD2 are a decade old - that's just ridiculous.

These guys are touring overseas. Again, this is just me, and I realize my opinion on sharing music with fans is 100% different than Axl's. I would put those songs (20-90 of them) on CDs and give Slash a copy and Duff a copy. 

Then a week later, the two would come back and tell me which ones they liked and wanted to work on. I would then make sure my favorite ones were kept alive.

I would have Slash bring in 4-5 of his own ideas. Duff bring in a handful of his own ideas  

While on tour together, on off days, get together and work. Some days we jam on brand new song ideas. 

Some days we work on adding Slash's idea for guitar work on what was title song #17. Then work on Duff's idea for a punk sounding GnR time. Then maybe the next day we fine tune Atlas Shrugged. 

Most bands struggle to come up with an album with no fillers. GnR has the opposite problem - they have - or would have - a boatload of songs to work with. 

That's what I would do. Take my favorites, let Slash and Duff pick their favorites. Slash and Duff would bring 4-5 ideas to the table. And then we try and write 4-5 new songs while on tour. By tours end there would be 20-25 songs worked out that we all liked. 

Head back home. Hit Axl's studio. Pick the 14 songs for the 2017 album. Release the 5-10 songs that didn't make the cut on iTunes or the official website or just as free songs somewhere for fans to enjoy. 

Again - that's just me tho. If I could sing and write like Axl, I would have 10-11 albums on my resume. My goal would be to share my art with my millions of fans. And since they made my net worth be over 150 million dollars, I would feel obligated to give them new music to enjoy every few years. 

I guess now all we can do is hope for one more album in Axl's lifetime though. Such a shame, IMO.

I think it's more the type of record they want to make than songs or material. If you have Slash it all it's going to be more hard rock. 

To me the slot is open for a Reunion record or hard rock type record. I'm not sure what CD II is. 

If not a Reunion record, a kind of self titled album which captures GNR. 

Having laid down CD II in the CD way of pro tools etc. Do they need to re-record with Slash and Duff? 

Axl seemed to be saying I'm starting again. I've got some ideas I showed to Slash. But not soon, CD II was done around 2008. That would be soon. 

Maybe a few CD era songs will make it but not in the form of CD. Maybe like This I Love from UYI era made it to CD, we might see Atlas. 

But I don't think we missed anything. 

Madagascar, SOD, TWat, Catcher, This I Love, Prostitute would have been spread across 3 albums in the 00s filled out with Slash/Izzy/Duff material we've heard on their solo output. 

Maybe there's 3-4 he's got he wants to share. But the vehicle for that is undecided. 

The General, Atlas Shrugged, Seven, Soul Monster and probably Thyme really are the big guns since they all have different kind of orchestras on it. I'm not so sure with Soul Monster now, it could possibly be about Slash and his 'christmas cards'.

Dizzy has credits on Silkworms, Ides Of March.

Oklahoma/Berlin must be heavy in the lyrics department.

4tus wrote Motormouth and Axl said 'Man that's the one we need right there'. I think this song has been debunked, not sure.

Zodiac in the electronic trash can.

The most funny thing is that the "Prostitute/Soul Monster" 15s leak has been taken down. The one with the lyrics You rot in hell, I've got to tell. It was clearly Axl singin', no doubt. Also the 'fake' Thyme with Brain on drums, and the sweet piano at the end. (Still have it).

Those were the two legitimate leaks appart from Blood, Goin' Down and JCHAN.

Edited by Silent Jay

23 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

The most funny thing is that the "Prostitute/Soul Monster" 15s leak has been taken down. The one with the lyrics You rot in hell, I've got to tell. It was clearly Axl singin', no doubt. Also the 'fake' Thyme with Brain on drums, and the sweet piano at the end. (Still have it).

Those were the two legitimate leaks appart from Blood and JCHAN.

When did those leak?

46 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

The General, Atlas Shrugged, Seven, Soul Monster and probably Thyme really are the big guns since they all have different kind of orchestras on it. I'm not so sure with Soul Monster now, it could possibly be about Slash and his 'christmas cards'.

Dizzy has credits on Silkworms, Ides Of March.

Oklahoma/Berlin must be heavy in the lyrics department.

4tus wrote Motormouth and Axl said 'Man that's the one we need right there'. I think this song has been debunked, not sure.

Zodiac in the electronic trash can.

There's a theory the General, Thyme, Seven are SOD, Twat, Madagascar? Beltrami only worked on 4 tracks. 

Soul Monster aka Leave Me Alone seems to still be alive. Could be Prostitute.

Atlas was worked on by Ron. 

Berlin seems real. Ides of March is alive, as in we have nothing on it other than a confirmed title. 

The Fortus/Slash song seems alive. 

9 hours ago, Apollo said:

What if I stomp my foot and wag my finger at him!

What's the record going to be about and what style. Given the line up with Fortus it seems more of UYI type record. Lyric wise I think Axl will take a while to work out what he wants to say. CD had a basic theme or vibe. Not sure that will be the same now it's not Axl against the world. But there's no Izzy to write lyrics so it's still Out Get Get Me maybe.?

Edited by wasted
Otgm the movie

46 minutes ago, wasted said:

There's a theory the General, Thyme, Seven are SOD, Twat, Madagascar? Beltrami only worked on 4 tracks. 

Soul Monster aka Leave Me Alone seems to still be alive. Could be Prostitute.

Atlas was worked on by Ron. 

Berlin seems real. Ides of March is alive, as in we have nothing on it other than a confirmed title. 

The Fortus/Slash song seems alive. 

Naah I don't buy it.
I remember Richard saying on his workshop interview in 2013 that The GRAL was real and alive, just not finished yet. I guess it needs a little bloody dark vibe aka Slash. Also, Brain would have been credited if so. Time is no Thyme. Seven is like Better, it's kind of a ballad but one with the ballsiest GN'R bridge.
As far as I'm concerned Prostitute remained Prostitute. I would have called it Forever...And A Day. The whole album should have been called like that. Forever...And A Day, Like a hobo I was born to walk alone.
Brian May shrugged, Thal shrugged, Slash rise? I'm thinking about Free Bird with never ending guitar solos.

Half the album is Stay Of Execution, Half is World On Fire II. Fair enough.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Naah I don't buy it.
I remember Richard saying on his workshop interview in 2013 that The GRAL was real and alive, just not finished yet. I guess it needs a little bloody dark vibe aka Slash. Also, Brain would have been credited if so. Time is no Thyme. Seven is like Better, it's kind of a ballad but one with the ballsiest GN'R bridge.
As far as I'm concerned Prostitute remained Prostitute. I would have called it Forever...And A Day. The whole album should have been called like that. Forever...And A Day, Like a hobo I was born to walk alone.
Brian May shrugged, Thal shrugged, Slash rise? I'm thinking about Free Bird with never ending guitar solos.

Half the album is Stay Of Execution, Half is World On Fire II. Fair enough.

So do you think Leave Me Alone is Prostitute? And if Soul Monster is Leave Me Alone then what?

If Beltrami worked on 4 songs and he's credit for 4 on CD, does Axl have more Beltrami tracks? 

I think there were 26-32 songs in 2006. CD was 14 of them. So there must be material. Evidence of it is pretty flimsy though. 

The way Baz talked about The General doesn't make it sound like any CD track, other than Riad. 

Does Axl's quote about Soul Monster describe Prostitute?

But at this point the album is:

The General 

Seven

Thyme

Soul Monster

Berlin 

Ides of March

Atlas Shrugged

then Slash/Duff add 7 new tracks. 

Edited by wasted

The way I see it, Axl can only write epics and ballads. These seven A-list songs don't sound like four minutes rockers to me, miles away from AFD. It's too complicated and artsy to be a full album. Slash/Duff will write the rockers. And fans will call it a GnR album. Kinda Appetite/Illusion record with the sound of ChiDem.

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

Soul Monster is not Prostitute.

Soul Monster is a mean electro-rock song that's more similar to Riad and Oh My God than the more traditional classic rock inspired stuff. The guitars sound like razorblades and pulse along with Axl's hateful fury.

When I first heard it, I thought that Axl's vocals recalled Perfect Crime. It contains a similar rant style cadence with considerable rasp in tow.

So you've heard Soul Monster? 

Cool! Have you heard other unreleased songs too?