Some questions about AFD

5 hours ago, blackieloveless said:

AFD was out for quite a while before it caught on , iirc it was on college radio for about a year before it really started to break  , that could be the issue on first single going on .

Yeah I remember Duff mentioning in his book that his brother was tracking AFD on the charts and telling him how unusual it was for an album to start climbing so long after it's release.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sploit said:

That is an edit dude. Sometimes the swearing on songs gets blanked out. Censored. The record company probably made that decision. In order to ensure it got on shelves or whatever.

So they edited that but not the "But that old man, he's a real mother fucker" part...? Not to mention "So fuckin' easy!", "I'm fuckin' innocent!", "You're fuckin' crazy!"

That's why I always found it to be odd if that part in Mr. Brownstone actually was edited, but I don't think it is. If it was, that's fucking stupid.

1 hour ago, sploit said:

That is an edit dude. Sometimes the swearing on songs gets blanked out. Censored. The record company probably made that decision. In order to ensure it got on shelves or whatever.

Its not an edit

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Happens on Easy too? Why don't you just...

what?

1 hour ago, Black Sabbath said:

So they edited that but not the "But that old man, he's a real mother fucker" part...? Not to mention "So fuckin' easy!", "I'm fuckin' innocent!", "You're fuckin' crazy!"

That's why I always found it to be odd if that part in Mr. Brownstone actually was edited, but I don't think it is. If it was, that's fucking stupid.

Fair point. It does definitely sound like an edit though.

24 minutes ago, tifalucis said:

Maybe you have an edited copy taken from promotional video, or something, because mine is original from itunes apple music. I can clearly hear Axl saying "fuck off"

I'll check. Might be mixing it up with Stay Beautiful by The Manics. The Heavenly version had a fuck off but when they signed to Sony it was cut. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

"Nightrain" was officially released as single. It even hit 93 on the Billboard singles chart. I used to have the mini-CD single, too.

I got the Nightrain 7" single. I think there was a Gun holster on the cover. 

On 9 February 2017 at 10:53 AM, tsinindy said:

Its not an edit

what?

No the fuck off is on my AFD and Live Era. Only thing I can think of is Spotify. 

Other that I'm getting it mixed up with another band. 

I think I mixed up with the Brownstone gap. Full circle yeah yeah

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

If you read some of the work by Mick Wall, Appetite was never marketed correctly. To break into the UK away from LA was something only very few sunset strip bands achieved at the time. ISE was one of the choices for the UK yet until David Geffen made a phone call to get WTTJ on MTV rotation, Appetite was going slow then SCOM was released & the rest is history.  

4 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

The "worryin's a waste of my....time" pause is completely intentional and no edit, it suits the lackadaisical nature of the vocal delivery. I'm not sure when Axl started throwing the "fuckin" in there but as you see here he wasn't earlier on in live shows

He's thrown plenty of shit in live that's not on wax

" Take it to the end of the line...BEAT IT!"

"Ready to crash and burn...TAKE IT!"

"and i'll leave you lyin on the bed....with your ass in the air"

'' you can taste the bright lights......GIVE ME THE FUCKING BALL"

things of that nature.

with your ass in the air!

is my favorite ad lib. 

1) Why was It's So Easy the first single? That's absolutely baffling to me

Cuz its coarse and catchy and pretty fairly encapsulated the wonderfully awful hollywood sleazebags that they were.

2) Why are there 2 studio versions of Jumpin Jack Flash?

Cuz Axls a perfectionarstist

3) Has the 18 minute demo of November Rain ever leaked?

Wasted has it...in his pants.

4) Do you guys think we would have gotten more GNR albums if AFD tanked?

No.

14 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

My only real question about Appetite is why the studio version of Mr. Brownstone has the pause between "Because worryins a waste of my... time." Not exactly sure if Axl ever sang it live that way, but if he has, I've never seen it. Just always wondered why they never recorded it with "fuckin'" in the lyrics.

He didn't sing the "my fucking time"-part before 1988 but It seems as if he added it sometime during that year because he sang it in the Melbourne show that December.

• Like 1

'It's So Easy' was the first GNR single.  It was released on June 15th 1987 to promote the three Marquee shows in London in late June.  There's a UK and a German pressing.

It has a unique b-side, an alternative mix of 'Mr. Brownstone' by Alan Niven and Michael Lardie.

It was the second GNR release, the first was obviously the LLAS EP.  Both were released before AFD, so these were the first GNR songs the general public was familiar with :

'Reckless Life', 'Nice Boys', 'Move To The City', 'Mama Kin' and 'Shadow Of Your Love' from the LLAS sessions + 'It's So Easy' and 'Mr. Brownstone' [alt mix] from AFD + 'It's So Easy', 'KHOD' and 'Whole Lotta Rosie' live from the third Marquee show.

'Welcome To The Jungle' was the second GNR single, releases over 3 months later, on September 28th 1987, after AFD.  It was only released as a physical single in the UK and Canada (and a promo in the US), but it was re-released worldwide on October 24th 1988, after 'Sweet Child O' Mine' had hit big.

The '88 re-release also has a unique b-side, an alternate take of the acoustic 'You're Crazy', recorded during the Lies sessions but entirely different from the album version.

The video for 'It's So Easy' was shot in October '89 and has nothing to do with the initial 1987 single release.

There are three known versions of 'Jumping Jack Flash'.  2 were recorded during the AFD pre-production sessions at Sound City in '86, one electric and one acoustic.  The third version was also electric, recorded during the LLAS sessions at Pasha Studios later on in '86, but ultimately left off the EP.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

'It's So Easy' was the first GNR single.  It was released on June 15th 1987 to promote the three Marquee shows in London in late June.  There's a UK and a German pressing.

It has a unique b-side, an alternative mix of 'Mr. Brownstone' by Alan Niven and Michael Lardie.

It was the second GNR release, the first was obviously the LLAS EP.  Both were released before AFD, so these were the first GNR songs the general public was familiar with :

'Reckless Life', 'Nice Boys', 'Move To The City', 'Mama Kin' and 'Shadow Of Your Love' from the LLAS sessions + 'It's So Easy' and 'Mr. Brownstone' [alt mix] from AFD + 'It's So Easy', 'KHOD' and 'Whole Lotta Rosie' live from the third Marquee show.

'Welcome To The Jungle' was the second GNR single, releases over 3 months later, on September 28th 1987, after AFD.  It was only released as a physical single in the UK and Canada (and a promo in the US), but it was re-released worldwide on October 24th 1988, after 'Sweet Child O' Mine' had hit big.

The '88 re-release also has a unique b-side, an alternate take of the acoustic 'You're Crazy', recorded during the Lies sessions but entirely different from the album version.

The video for 'It's So Easy' was shot in October '89 and has nothing to do with the initial 1987 single release.

There are three known versions of 'Jumping Jack Flash'.  2 were recorded during the AFD pre-production sessions at Sound City in '86, one electric and one acoustic.  The third version was also electric, recorded during the LLAS sessions at Pasha Studios later on in '86, but ultimately left off the EP.

Thanks for all this info. I was sure though that the Youre Crazy B side of Jungle was recorded during the AFD sessions, as the original arrangement thatw as supposed to be on the album before Mike Clink told them to make it into a rocker. Is that not true?

16 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Thanks for all this info. I was sure though that the Youre Crazy B side of Jungle was recorded during the AFD sessions, as the original arrangement thatw as supposed to be on the album before Mike Clink told them to make it into a rocker. Is that not true?

No, it's an alternate take from the Lies sessions.  There are also alt. takes available for 'One In A Million', 'Used To Love Her' and 'Cornchucker', but those were never officially released, only bootlegged.

By the way, that alt. take of 'You're Crazy' was available BEFORE Lies was released, so maybe it's the other way 'round and the album version is in fact the alt. take :)

Edited by Nikki_Sixx
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

No, it's an alternate take from the Lies sessions.  There are also alt. takes available for 'One In A Million', 'Used To Love Her' and 'Cornchucker', but those were never officially released, only bootlegged.

Woah I never heard them, only heard the demo of One In A Million.

On 9 February 2017 at 6:18 PM, Len Cnut said:

Cuz its coarse and catchy and pretty fairly encapsulated the wonderfully awful hollywood sleazebags that they were.

Cuz Axls a perfectionarstist

Wasted has it...in his pants.

No.

That's right. It will take a team of strippers to get it out of my pants. 

My Nightrain 3 inch CD single has both KOHD live as well as Reckless Life on it. It's from 1989

I would like to upload a pic of it but I don't know how to do it. It doesn't work with the "Insert other media"-button.

Edited by Free Bird

On 9/2/2017 at 6:28 AM, Silverburst80 said:

The "worryin's a waste of my....time" pause is completely intentional and no edit, it suits the lackadaisical nature of the vocal delivery. I'm not sure when Axl started throwing the "fuckin" in there but as you see here he wasn't earlier on in live shows

He's thrown plenty of shit in live that's not on wax

" Take it to the end of the line...BEAT IT!"

"Ready to crash and burn...TAKE IT!"

"and i'll leave you lyin on the bed....with your ass in the air"

'' you can taste the bright lights......GIVE ME THE FUCKING BALL"

things of that nature.

'Give me the fucking ball' is from Roskilde Festival 2006 and was due to someone in the audience throwing a beach ball ;)

On 08/02/2017 at 7:56 PM, Black Sabbath said:

My only real question about Appetite is why the studio version of Mr. Brownstone has the pause between "Because worryins a waste of my... time." Not exactly sure if Axl ever sang it live that way, but if he has, I've never seen it. Just always wondered why they never recorded it with "fuckin'" in the lyrics.

seriously

have you people ever listened to guns n roses?

that "pause"  is LIKELY the original vocal melody

if it is not the original melody, it was the "melody of choice"

as axl sung it like that zillions of times in 1986, 1987 and 1988

On 09/02/2017 at 10:57 PM, sploit said:

now i love this!

here comes someone to a public internet forum and posts some debatable (or just purely innacurate) information as if it was a "fact"

in no time, zillions of people are repeating that piece of info as if it was true

thats why we have so many people repeating nonsense on this forum

- steven cant play!

- izzy doesnt like touring!

yea yea yea! 

Yeah, in my defense, I don't watch much pre-90s stuff because I find it to be inferior to the Illusion touring, honestly. Watched the CBGB acoustic show maybe twice and that was probably 10 years ago.

I always found it to be a silly method of choice and frankly, the pause sounds odd.

Sorry if I've offended you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Bands made "rated R"videos in the 80s that wound up on Playboy channel, it wouldn't have surprised me if It's So Easy was planned to be shown on there. 

In Mich walls book, alan niven was saying how he stopped the erin in bondage gear being released. Either saving Axl or the directors career. The fact that its wall and niven and then me trying to remember something might mean this has a loose relation to the facts.