Fortus on Slash & Duff: 'I Think We All Agree It Clicked Instantly' [Update Page 7 - ''I Don't Think This Band Has Ever Sounded Better Than It Does Right Now'']

9 hours ago, ohmygod said:

And to those fans. I can't make you accept facts, you can live with your pettiness, as your responses to my post only prove. But, why can't we all just at least respect all eras of GNR?!?  

I whole-heartedly accept ALL eras of GNR !!!  I do !!!

-> era 1 : '85 -> '90

-> era 2 : '90 > '96-ish

• Like 3

On 9.5.2017 at 0:21 AM, Silent Jay said:

I don't think it's an ego thing even if sorum is big headed.

If you bring Sorum back, you have to think of Gilby in a way. Illusion era. There is Steven/Izzy and Richard/Frank (or bucket/brain if you look a it). Richard and Frank have been playing together since the 90s. Good musicians, very professionals, silent employees like Sorum and Gilby before.

7 hours ago, Carne_asaDA said:

As far as what the subject is titled, It's Richard talking. I'd believe it more if it was Slash or Duff saying it.

I used to be pissed with Fortus because he was always saying the same thing over and over, but now I just kinda brush it off. These poor guys have bothi to share, so they just end up having to try to make sownthu out of nothing and hope something sounds interesting. 

22 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Omfg is Richard on the studio recording of am I wrong? No idea that was him on that. Im covering that in a band now.

Holy shit. Great tune

Richard and Frank are on the recording. Richard is listed as co-songwriter on Jigsaw.

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I used to be pissed with Fortus because he was always saying the same thing over and over, but now I just kinda brush it off. These poor guys have bothi to share, so they just end up having to try to make sownthu out of nothing and hope something sounds interesting. 

In the past a lot of what Richard said turned out to be true. Brush off what exactly? everything he said in this interview wasn't answers a politician would give.

If shit a band member said didn't go down, sometimes it's less about them and more about what Axl said about life getting in the way. I know how this sounds, but it's like in 2015 when Axl worked with Pitman on CD ll and then reunion and no album.

Just because someone is telling the truth doesn't mean it won't change or will become a reality, Axl is in the band.

Edited by Rovim

13 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Richard and Frank are on the recording. Richard is listed as co-songwriter on Jigsaw.

Just looked them up. Frank and Richard were in Love Spit Love. Had no idea, mind blown!

Very cool! My dad is the one that showed me the tune and wants to cover it in a little family thing we have going on, I had absolutely no idea it was an old band of Frank and Richard. Can't wait to tell him, he was at the GNR show last year and had no idea who Frank and Richard were. He'll get a kick out of this

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Just looked them up. Frank and Richard were in Love Spit Love. Had no idea, mind blown!

Very cool! My dad is the one that showed me the tune and wants to cover it in a little family thing we have going on, I had absolutely no idea it was an old band of Frank and Richard. Can't wait to tell him, he was at the GNR show last year and had no idea who Frank and Richard were. He'll get a kick out of this

Richard and Frank were in several bands together. Love Spit Love, The Psychodelic Furs, The Dead Daisies... that duo has a history similar to Slash/Duff or Buckethead/Brain.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

In the past a lot of what Richard said turned out to be true. Brush off what exactly? everything he said in this interview wasn't answers a politician would give.

If shit a band member said didn't go down, sometimes it's less about them and more about what Axl said about life getting in the way. I know how this sounds, but it's like in 2015 when Axl worked with Pitman on CD ll and then reunion and no album.

Just because someone is telling the truth doesn't mean it won't change or will become a reality, Axl is in the band.

Right... So like I said, these guys have nothing much to talk about, so they have to try to make something out of nothing. 

20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right... So like I said, these guys have nothing much to talk about, so they have to try to make something out of nothing. 

Give it time, they're clicking.

Edited by Rovim

On 13/05/2017 at 10:12 AM, ohmygod said:

Thank you for so eloquently shutting down that lame bowling alley argument that's beyond flawed and shows just how petty the fans that hate the 02-14 era in fact are.

And to those fans. I can't make you accept facts, you can live with your pettiness, as your responses to my post only prove. But, why can't we all just at least respect all eras of GNR?!?  

*oh yea, and the birthday party they played was on an off night of a successful stadium tour across Europe.... sooo, again. Sorry about facts.

Do you think that the 02-14 lineup had continued they would be drawing as many crowds and making as much dough now?,. Do you think anyone that ever had an interest in classic guns would be giving half an interest?. People switched off. I would bet 95% of old fans who heard or saw guns when CD came ourt was out of interest not because of how much they liked CD compared to appetite or the illusions record. And once thgey heard or saw once, once was enough to realise that this version of Guns n roses was not the guns n roses that mean so much to the older fans.

I have listened to CD with an open mind and its a record that had it been released in 96 it may have been pretty successful as industrial music was starting to be popular then. When i listen to CD now it sounds like a cold, spiritualess album that is not worthy of the name "Guns n Roses" on the album cover. Its just an album that sounds like it was recorded like Metallicas st anger  - just cut and paste music done in pro-tools. If the CD era of guns floats your boat thats fine, but its not fine for me to respect to call myself a GNR fan and i dont accept CD with the Guns n Roses name on it.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

i don't doubt for a second richard clicked with slash and duff, it seems obvious watching the shows. he's an excellent player and a great fit for the band if izzy can't be there.   like i've said before i hope he gets the chance gilby never got… if izzy won't be there.  

On 5/12/2017 at 5:12 PM, ohmygod said:

Thank you for so eloquently shutting down that lame bowling alley argument that's beyond flawed and shows just how petty the fans that hate the 02-14 era in fact are.

*oh yea, and the birthday party they played was on an off night of a successful stadium tour across Europe.... sooo, again. Sorry about facts.

Okay, well here are the facts: the band was broke and playing to half empty arenas (this has been an issue since 2002 - the height of Nu Guns). By the end, Axl was a bloated version of his former self doing Vegas shows where he sang November Rain on a floating piano. Is this really an "era" worth remembering?

Unlike Sunset Gardner and Nikki Sixx, I actually liked the 2002 era band but those guys have a point -- what has really been accomplished by Axl in the last 20 years other than him using a ton of great session players to work on his solo album which sank like a stone upon release? Touring Appetite songs with a new lineup every 3 years when he needed cash flow? Is this really an accomplishment worthy of the "classic" era? 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

As always- I think the "truth" lies somewhere in between. Chinese-era Guns- though nowhere near as "big" as Classic Guns or NITL Guns- nonetheless released a platinum album (multi-platinum in certain countries), a #1 video/bd, headlined/co-headlined countless prominent festivals, won back-to-back Classic Rock Magazine "Tour of the Year" Awards, had two successful residencies and performed in front of millions (all together) 01-14.

Now perhaps that was largely driven- if not entirely- by Axl's legendary frontman status as well as the classic material- but it did all happen. 95% + of the rock bands out there would sign up for all that in a heartbeat IMHO...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

As always- I think the "truth" lies somewhere in between. Chinese-era Guns- though nowhere near as "big" as Classic Guns or NITL Guns- nonetheless released a platinum album (multi-platinum in certain countries), a #1 video/bd, headlined/co-headlined countless prominent festivals, won back-to-back Classic Rock Magazine "Tour of the Year" Awards, had two successful residencies and performed in front of millions (all together) 01-14.

Now perhaps that was largely driven- if not entirely- by Axl's legendary frontman status as well as the classic material- but it did all happen. 95% + of the rock bands out there would sign up for all that in a heartbeat IMHO...

Fair enough. I'd agree with that.

I think NITL just crystallizes for some fans that the classic era band had so much more gas left in the tank and it was all cut short too soon. Even the rock press is changing their tune from GnR being outdated has-beens to..."Damn, they really were amazing...".  When you compare that unrealized potential to what the last 20 years have been with Axl's "nu-guns" - it only highlights what we missed out on.

Nu-Guns was a consolation prize that in retrospect was simply unfulfilling imho. Like getting a pretty good burger at In N' Out when we were used to getting a steak dinner at a michelin star restaurant with classic guns. Had Axl delivered 3 or 4 nu-guns albums with Buckethead, maybe the story would feel less bittersweet, maybe Axl would have won all of us over - but as it stands...the last 20 years seems (to me anyway) like a complete trainwreck. Like a talented artist literally threw away his prime because of his ego and desire to prove his previous bandmates wrong. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, killuridols said:

It is so sad to read stuff like "since we didn't have a bass player and a lead guitarist, we had to call Duff & Slash" :facepalm:

Lamest. band. ever. :no:

Just curious but, why?

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, Jane M. said:

Dizzy always forgotten. 

Nobody clicked with him?

I'm probably in the minority, which I don't completely understand but, I do wonder what it was like for Slash and Duff to start jamming with Dizzy again, especially for Slash. Not sure if they ever even crossed paths over the years Slash was out of GNR but, idk, that relationship was just always intriguing to me because, we don't know as much about Dizy's relationship...he's never discussed on GNR bio anything

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, themadcaplaughs said:

BREAKING NEWS:

Slash and Duff will gladly play with anyone Axl tells them to in order to receive massive pay days. 

The definition of a cash grab. Sad but true:facepalm:

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, Nikki_Sixx said:

No way ANYONE should have to put up with Axl and TB's style of 'doing' things ...

Slash and Duff will, especially if it gets them paid.

Funny enough, Izzy won't, unless he gets his cut of the loot. Idk, seems fair to me :shrugs:

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:15 AM, Nikki_Sixx said:

There it is.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Frank didn't click with Slash and Duff.  Yet they still went ahead with it.

Conclusion ?

Axl forced Frank (and Fortus) on them.

A real reunion (+Izzy/Matt) was never considered.

Axl let Slash and Duff join HIS band, only because he was a few members short...

How did it ever come to this :facepalm: ?

Unfortunately, Axl owns the name. As far as he's concerned, at the end of the day, its his band. I've said it in here a  million times, and some around here just fear the words and don't like me for speaking that apparent truth... But it is what it is. It's Axl's band. Slash and Duff clearly have a legal right as to at and not getting screwed over but, it's beyond clear that with any legal contract or release, Axl has the final say/sign off on anything. From Slash and Duff's point of view, they have no other choice, and it's probably not worth protesting over since the GNR thing has followed them around no matter what they've done in their careers. Maybe they feel that they can slowly but surely ease Axl into other things he doesn't want to do over time... not sure about that but, we'll see.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:33 PM, Fourteenbeers said:

Conan-OBrien-Facepalm.gif

I have to agree....

Again, I've ben consistently saying that this is still Axl's band at the end of the day, Slash and Duff aren't completely as equal. If they were, wouldn't Axl, Slash, and Duff have an equal vote on who plays guitar? Or even, who plays drums? I doubt they even voted on Melissa Reese or Chris Pitman... Idk, I'm sure someone is still massively offensive over me taking this position but, I just find it hard to believe that Slash and Duff have an equal say. If they did, I doubt they would have voted Frank in as the drummer (Richard's comments back that up). Maybe over Adler since there's too much risk there, but over Sorum, or another free agent drummer that would play the songs the way they should as well as be even easier to work with?! hell, I honestly don't think they would have voted in Fortus as a member over Izzy. Fortus was an Axl hand picked guy, gilby Clarke was a slash/duff hand picked guy. I truly believe there's things that Slash and Duff would like to do differently as well with new music and the set list as well as other things but, why speak up to Axl and risk the tour ending tomorrow?! The important thing is getting paid $$$$

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1