The Gear Thread

On 10/27/2018 at 3:32 AM, AxlisOld said:

I forget because I drink, Is that Mockingbird in your avatar your guitar? If so, pics?

Yeah lol. We talked about it a few months ago. There should be a pic a few pages back. Its a Burny MG145s YH. Awesome guitar. Actually had my first public gig with it tonight and it sounded really good. Much higher output pickups than my Les Paul but it surprisingly doesnt get as saturated. 

8 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah lol. We talked about it a few months ago. There should be a pic a few pages back. Its a Burny MG145s YH. Awesome guitar. Actually had my first public gig with it tonight and it sounded really good. Much higher output pickups than my Les Paul but it surprisingly doesnt get as saturated. 

I'm not that technically adept, but I have been told comparing pickup output only makes sense when comparing the same model/type of pickup. So it theoretically makes sense a higher output pickup by manufacturer X may actually get less distorted/saturated than a mid output pickup by manufacturer Y.

My guess is this is due to the variety of components that can be used in constructing a pickup, like different types of magnets, different wiring patterns/tightness, etc.

Also I didn't realize that was your guitar. Cool.

Edited by OmarBradley

5 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I'm not that technically adept, but I have been told comparing pickup output only makes sense when comparing the same model/type of pickup. So it theoretically makes sense a higher output pickup by manufacturer X may actually get less distorted/saturated than a mid output pickup by manufacturer Y.

My guess is this is due to the variety of components that can be used in constructing a pickup, like different types of magnets, different wiring patterns/tightness, etc.

Also I didn't realize that was your guitar. Cool.

It has a Seymour Duncan invador in the bridge. Its definitely loud and clear but a lot more bassy and less saturated than the 57 classics in my LP. I appreciate that it sounds so different

Boy it's been a long time since I last visited this board. Anyways, I managed to finish the pedalboard. Obviously, it looks quite different from my original line up.

Anyways, here it is:

ettnk9.jpg

I managed to get my first tube amp:

iyq78h.jpg

It is a Blackstar ht club 40

I couldn't find a big enough pedalboard to hold all these pedals, not for a price I could afford, that is, so I handmade this one with my father:

51znh0.jpg

nxw020.png

xoir0i.jpg

2zdztc4.jpg

20sbsdl.jpg

2z7lxzb.jpg

111tbpk.jpg

2z4j0h2.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks. I did think about a MIDI controller, but the costs were a huge no for me. What I did was split the pedalboard in two:

It goes:

Compressor > wah > noise gate > bass booster and then it divides in two when it reaches the switch blade +:

A goes: 

Eq/booster > big muff > distortion > whammy and then it becomes one signal again when it reaches a homemade 2 to 1 unit.

B starts on the OD and booster and goes thru all the modulation and dynamic pedals and ends on the expression factory then it also goes to the 2 to 1 thingy I got going there and into delay pedal and finally into the amp.

So in the end I have 2 signals that work independently from one another or at the same time. A is basically the dirt and B is modulation. That way I can set a dirty tone while playing a clean or the other way around WITHOUT gradually changing the sound as I engage or disengage pedal x or y and just hit a/b switch on the switchblade to go from an all out fuzz to a clean chorus + reverb + phaser sound in an instant, cuz I will be setting silently while playing a dirty part. The units that are before the split or after "unifier" will work on both A and B regardless.

Much to my surprise, the a+b switch wouldn't just blend the effects together. No. It would actually create 2 voices coming from the amp, each one subject to the pedals on it's own chain while ignoring the opposite chain. It means I can have a clean flanger playing alongside a distorted tone. On the other hand, I had to put an overdrive and a booster there to get dirty AND modulated tones.

This is my "unifier" unit:

2ecf9qd.jpg

We made it from an old AC adapter.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:02 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Derp. Me likey drinky.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 12:30 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Those look cool

It sounds really nice too. The ride I've been using for the last several years is pretty good for a low-end model cymbal but this is a nice upgrade.

I've had a Zildjian 18" Pitch Black crash for several years as well and it's starting to crack, I'm gonna replace that one after xmas, there's a couple Sabian and Paiste crash's that I'm keeping an eye out for.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the music shop this morning with a couple friends, ended up getting 2 new crash cymbals, a Paiste 18" PST 7 and a Zildjian 18" S Thin Crash. I'm very happy with them :D

My buddy picked up a Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker like this for really cheap, too. Think he paid $150 and it came with a hardshell case. It was owned by the guitar instructor at that shop and it's in nice shape.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need a good distortion pedal since for now I've got a shit amp (original is broken) I'm looking for marshall tones, I mainly play my LP standard now.

any suggestions will be appreciated, nothing too fancy or cheap.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I need a good distortion pedal since for now I've got a shit amp (original is broken) I'm looking for marshal tones, I mainly play my LP standard now.

any suggestions will be appreciated, nothing too fancy or cheap.

My favorite Marshall in a box pedals are the Lovepedal Purple Plexi, Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, and Alexander Jubilee Silver Overdrive, PedalPalFX PAL800

I currently own the Alexander Jubilee and I used to have the Lovepedal Purple Plexi. I loved the Purple Plexi, but traded it for my Japanese guitar since its rare and switched to Helix downsizing pedals made sense. It isn't super saturated, but if you put the gain all the way up it gets early JCM800ish. Sounded the most "amp like", I usually put it in front of my Fender amp with the gain low and basically turned my Fender into an early Marshall. 

The Alexander emulates the rhythm clip of a Marshall Jubilee, but it gets very 80s saturated. Good for GNR. Its my favorite distortion pedal so even though I am not currently using it much, its one I won't part with (at least for a long while probably). 

The Dirty Little Secret is really popular for the Plexi sound, and it has a switch inside where you can change the base tone between a Super Lead or a Super Bass. That is a cool feature. The PAL800 also kills if you want the more high gain-esque 1990s JCM800 crunch. 

That being said, there are countless Marshall-in-a-box pedals. What amp you play through makes a big difference, though. What are you playing through?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

^^^

Fender 25R for the next few weeks so it's really a case of getting the most out of this shit amp until a buy a new one but I wanted a distortion pedal anyway thanks for the suggestion, if you have more it will help

If you want an inexpensive upgrade, Id just get a Boss Katana instead of a nice drive pedal. A drive pedal can be $100-$200. For a little more you can get a 50 watt Katana. These are the best bang for your buck amps out there and they get great Marshall tones.

A good drive pedal in front of a Fender Frontman wont really get you quite where you want to go. I had a Frontman for years

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If you want an I expensive upgrade, Id just get a Boss Katana instead of a nice drive pedal. A drive pedal can be $100-$200. For a little more you can get a 50 watt Katana. These are the best bang for your buck amps out there and they get great Marshall tones

i'm familiar with the Katana, but get this: I've saving for a Kemper. I love distortion pedals and expensive amps but I need a distortion pedal. Btw, thanks again for you help, please continue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

If you want an inexpensive upgrade, Id just get a Boss Katana instead of a nice drive pedal. A drive pedal can be $100-$200. For a little more you can get a 50 watt Katana. These are the best bang for your buck amps out there and they get great Marshall tones.

A good drive pedal in front of a Fender Frontman wont really get you quite where you want to go. I had a Frontman for years

This.

I am currently looking for something that sounds decent, isn't too valuable, and can be lugged around more easily than a half stack. The Katana 50 is so far winning the contest for me, I'll probably get one within a few weeks.

I don't know much about pedals, but the Suhr Riot (or Koko if you're amp can get semi-dirty) and Friedman BE pedals are ones I hear a lot about, other than what ZoSo mentioned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

i'm familiar with the Katana, but get this: I've saving for a Kemper. I love distortion pedals and expensive amps but I need a distortion pedal. Btw, thanks again for you help, please continue.

Oh wow. The Kemper is one of the coolest pieces of gear ever made. I was seriously looking at one this past year. Awesome choice. When are you planning on getting it? If its reletively soon you might as well get something cheap. A used Fulltone OCD or EHX Glove would probably be ok with your amp and youd spend less than $100

I'm pretty sure the Kemper has good on board effects. If get a foot controller with it and call it a day. As long as it has a good Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1 built in you'll get superb boosted Marshall times.

53 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

This.

I am currently looking for something that sounds decent, isn't too valuable, and can be lugged around more easily than a half stack. The Katana 50 is so far winning the contest for me, I'll probably get one within a few weeks.

I don't know much about pedals, but the Suhr Riot (or Koko if you're amp can get semi-dirty) and Friedman BE pedals are ones I hear a lot about, other than what ZoSo mentioned.

I had the Friedman BE-OD. Its a gain monster, even when you open it up and turn the internal max gain down. Honestly, it was a lot of fun at home but it was too much in a band setting. 

Might actually be a good choice for @Rovim. Has a lot of saturation so it might be good for the Frontman. That being said, its a pricey pedal.

Maybe grab one used and sell it for the same price once you get the Kemper

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Oh wow. The Kemper is one of the coolest pieces of gear ever made. I was seriously looking at one this past year. Awesome choice. When are you planning on getting it? If its reletively soon you might as well get something cheap. A used Fulltone OCD or EHX Glove would probably be ok with your amp and youd spend less than $100

I'm pretty sure the Kemper has good on board effects. If get a foot controller with it and call it a day. As long as it has a good Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1 built in you'll get superb boosted Marshall times.

I had the Friedman BE-OD. Its a gain monster, even when you open it up and turn the internal max gain down. Honestly, it was a lot of fun at home but it was too much in a band setting. 

Might actually be a good choice for @Rovim. Has a lot of saturation so it might be good for the Frontman. That being said, its a pricey pedal.

Maybe grab one used and sell it for the same price once you get the Kemper

I've heard that about the BE OD too, lots of gain. But Friedman recently released a lower gain distortion pedal modeled after the Dirty Shirley - that may be worth looking into too. Not sure what music shops are like around you Rovim, but Guitar Center (yes, they're the devil) here allows a 30 day return, no questions asked as long as the item is in original condition. 

• Like 1

I bet its a great pedal. The BE OD is definitely high quality. I trust anything Friedman

Also, Lovepedal does a massive sale every month or two. You can usually get a new Purple Plexi or one with a boost for around $100-$150 new. You can also get their Silver Jubilee super cheap. I've seen it as low as $50 on their site. They are as low as $75 on Reverb right now. Thatd be a great Marshall in a box for @Rovim

• Like 1