Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

Man so stoked for this now after the trailer that dropped on Monday. 

Had a buddy earlier in the day on monday who had asked if I wanted a ticket to the very first showing at one of the  true IMAX theaters (70 MM film) on Thursday 12/14 and was like I dunno.  Then he texted right after trailer dropped and was like "I got your dumbass a ticket, you're in" and was so grateful. 

Edited by tsinindy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, soon said:

Second trailer released last night, sorry if already posted. 

Hide contents

So, I guess Snoke aint a giant then?

I don't think it was ever speculated he was.

I think that shot of Rey at the end is reversed.

http://gph.is/2hvtK7l

And since it can be easy to miss...

Sdpe8SB.jpg

Edited by luciusfunk

20 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Rian Johnson has been signed by Disney to create an entire new Star Wars trilogy:

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

Yeah they also confirmed that they're doing a live action Star Wars TV show.

also like a week ago the head of Lucasfilm said that the new characters from episodes 7-9 will be in more movies after 9...so maybe johnson's trilogy is their continuation story?

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah they also confirmed that they're doing a live action Star Wars TV show.

also like a week ago the head of Lucasfilm said that the new characters from episodes 7-9 will be in more movies after 9...so maybe johnson's trilogy is their continuation story?

Those characters could have a huge role in Episodes 10-12 and also in some potential spin-offs.

Edited by Sosso

Excited by all this news!

Conventional wisdom, I believe, has always pointed to Lucas's assertion that Star Wars was the story of the Skywalkers and that episodic Star Wars might always continue that story with anthology exploring the universe more. Kennedy's statement therefore seems to rule out Rey being a Skywalker - including a solo/organa?

EDIT: oh, I re -read the statement.  Hmmmm, it says all new characters in new trilogy.  So Rey is not in the one said to be separate from Skywalker story?

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, soon said:

Excited by all this news!

Conventional wisdom, I believe, has always pointed to Lucas's assertion that Star Wars was the story of the Skywalkers and that episodic Star Wars might always continue that story with anthology exploring the universe more. Kennedy's statement therefore seems to rule out Rey being a Skywalker - including a solo/organa?

EDIT: oh, I re -read the statement.  Hmmmm, it says all new characters in new trilogy.  So Rey is not in the one said to be separate from Skywalker story?

To clarify: Kathy said that the stories of Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB8 would continue after Episode 9. That's why when this new trilogy from Rian Johnson was announced, I assumed it was Episodes 10-12. However, I have since read their announcement more carefully and they did make it clear that Johnson's new trilogy will actually be a "blank canvas" with "all new characters" and "set in a corner of the Galaxy previously unexplored" (or something like that). So I guess 10-12 with Rey will happen separate from this, meaning there's still a chance she's a Skywalker/Solo (something in my gut is telling me she's not though).

41 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

To clarify: Kathy said that the stories of Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB8 would continue after Episode 9. That's why when this new trilogy from Rian Johnson was announced, I assumed it was Episodes 10-12. However, I have since read their announcement more carefully and they did make it clear that Johnson's new trilogy will actually be a "blank canvas" with "all new characters" and "set in a corner of the Galaxy previously unexplored" (or something like that). So I guess 10-12 with Rey will happen separate from this, meaning there's still a chance she's a Skywalker/Solo (something in my gut is telling me she's not though).

thank you for helping me wrap my head around that!  Okay, I think I get it.  Yeah, having heard that Rey, Finn, Poe and BB8 would continue in future films is what initially tripped me up.  

Maybe not even as trilogies but as anthology?  Or will wait 7 years for second trilogy of those characters?

1 hour ago, soon said:

thank you for helping me wrap my head around that!  Okay, I think I get it.  Yeah, having heard that Rey, Finn, Poe and BB8 would continue in future films is what initially tripped me up.  

Maybe not even as trilogies but as anthology?  Or will wait 7 years for second trilogy of those characters?

Yeah I have no clue. Id like to see them take on mentor roles in another trilogy in like 10 years. Not really a fan of the anthology thing.

27 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I have no clue. Id like to see them take on mentor roles in another trilogy in like 10 years. Not really a fan of the anthology thing.

I agree, Id prefer a trilogy form the current crew.  Didnt think we'd have to wait that long. The mentor thing would be cool, Id enjoy it, but I could go for another one in this era before that.   Interesting.  Maybe we're gonna get even more then one star wars a year?  That cant be, right?

4 hours ago, soon said:

I agree, Id prefer a trilogy form the current crew.  Didnt think we'd have to wait that long. The mentor thing would be cool, Id enjoy it, but I could go for another one in this era before that.   Interesting.  Maybe we're gonna get even more then one star wars a year?  That cant be, right?

Marvel (another disney subsidiary) puts out 3 movies a year now. Plus, disney has shown they're confident releasing Starwars both in December (force awakens, rogue one, last jedi), as well as in May (han solo). So I think multiple movies a year will be inevitable at some point.

13 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Marvel (another disney subsidiary) puts out 3 movies a year now. Plus, disney has shown they're confident releasing Starwars both in December (force awakens, rogue one, last jedi), as well as in May (han solo). So I think multiple movies a year will be inevitable at some point.

Yeah?!?!?!  You made my day with this info!!!!!  This is great, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

I love Rian Johnson but this is commerce at its worst.

Three trilogies is prime. Four or more, is not.

If I'm proven wrong later and the next cycle of films earns its wings, I'll own up to my doubt, but I'm not feeling this right now.

Do you think it has a shot of earning its place alongside the other three trilogies if it were a totally separate story with totally separate characters? Like they seem to be hinting it will be?

On 11/10/2017 at 10:44 AM, rocknroll41 said:

They better not kill off R2 and 3P0 :(