Red Dead Redemption 2

downzy

this game is the best "life simulator" game I have ever played.

it feels rewarding to hunt, then take the animal back to the camp and donate it to the camp.

speaking of the camp, it's this small social entitity with a clear hierarchical structure with the boss and his helpers, kind of like the very forum. therefore I can't help but think of @downzy when I see dutch walking around the camp :lol: I'm going to "antagonize" dutch on my forthcoming playthrough and see what happens :lol:

Anyone else who picked this up for PC having any problems getting into it?  It seems almost "too big" and daunting.  I'm having trouble getting that initial momentum to get hooked in.  I'm not really sure how to explain it...  Maybe its just being older, since I got into the first one easy enough... The last time I had this feeling about a game it was Skyrim.

Ps. Goat, @Oldest Goat I bought it directly from Rockstar, instead of EGS.  

18 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Anyone else who picked this up for PC having any problems getting into it?  It seems almost "too big" and daunting.  I'm having trouble getting that initial momentum to get hooked in.  I'm not really sure how to explain it...  Maybe its just being older, since I got into the first one easy enough... The last time I had this feeling about a game it was Skyrim.

I feel, getting older, I'm more into this kind of stuff that when I was younger.

this is a style of game I didn't think I'd ever like. I always liked the fast stuff like arcade racers and '90s first person shooters.

I still dislike slow games. But RDR2 is very different.

What I appreciate about this game, is the realistic feeling it evokes, of being on the run in the wilderness, being dependend on your friends in the camp. You're actually having a role in keeping the camp going, and are realistically rewarded for doing so. For example, the task of spending some money to the "camp funds" I found pretty satisfying, because of the reaction is evokes with your mates.

You can go hunting and handing over the animal to the camp's butcher, again with satisfying reactions from your mates.

This is a very clever way to make every little thing you do in this game, worthwile.

Every now and then, I do a mission and if you bother a bit, you can realistically plan ahead. 

During all of this, you're constantly given choices to make, and you need to answer fast. Another thing I liked.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

It's a bit of a slog at the beginning.  But by the middle of the game it begins to really let loose and then it begins to feel like a runaway freight train.  I would say it's in chapter 3 where things really start to pick up.  

I would recommend keep going with it.  The pay off is worth it.  Plus there's so much to do and see that you can set the story aside for a moment and explore the world Rock Star built.  It's probably the most impressive open world environment I've ever played in.  Also keep an eye on the challenges as they're easier to knock off before you finish the story mode.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I know exactly what you mean about games like this feeling daunting these days. It's not that I don't care I just sort of can't be bothered. Maybe I'll love it and dive in but I'll most likely just do the story stuff.

How's it running? You've got a 1080Ti too don't you?

I'm debating how to answer about performance... I can't get decent frames on Ultra without occasional stuttering.  I moved almost everything to "High" and a few settings at medium and it's a much smoother experience.  It still looks GREAT, but I feel like it might need a few more optimization patches.  This is the first game my new computer can't max out.

The not being bothered part is a lot of it, that is well said.  When I was younger, I'd dive right in, but now I'm just like man... This seems like a lot that I'll never finish.

4 hours ago, downzy said:

It's a bit of a slog at the beginning.  But by the middle of the game it begins to really let loose and then it begins to feel like a runaway freight train.  I would say it's in chapter 3 where things really start to pick up.  

I would recommend keep going with it.  The pay off is worth it.  Plus there's so much to do and see that you can set the story aside for a moment and explore the world Rock Star built.  It's probably the most impressive open world environment I've ever played in.  Also keep an eye on the challenges as they're easier to knock off before you finish the story mode.  

I will definitely keep trying to get into it.  What you are saying is encouraging. It sounds like it's worth it.

1 hour ago, DeadSlash said:

I will definitely keep trying to get into it.  What you are saying is encouraging. It sounds like it's worth it.

I remember feeling the same way the first 10 percent of the game.  

But after you move camp and start getting into family rivalries it really picks up.  

When I began I told myself there was no way I was going to achieve 100 percent in the game.  Six months later and I collected a perfect robin and finished the final challenge.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I'm debating how to answer about performance... I can't get decent frames on Ultra without occasional stuttering.  I moved almost everything to "High" and a few settings at medium and it's a much smoother experience.  It still looks GREAT, but I feel like it might need a few more optimization patches.  This is the first game my new computer can't max out.

Seems like this game is such a beast graphically that even the highest performing cards out there can't quite get to 60 FPS in 4k.

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/11/08/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-benchmark-what-you-need-to-play-at-4k

Apparently if you turn water physics one below ultra it nets you 10 FPS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’ve heard the PC launch has been disastrous and unplayable, is true?

That is 100% incorrect for me personally.  I feel like I should be able to run it at higher levels based on my rig being pretty elite, BUT I am also an FPS whore, so any dips below 60 bother me overly much.  The mix of mostly high and a few medium settings gets me there, and it still looks great.

20 hours ago, downzy said:

Seems like this game is such a beast graphically that even the highest performing cards out there can't quite get to 60 FPS in 4k.

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/11/08/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-benchmark-what-you-need-to-play-at-4k

Thanks for this, it actually did help, and allowed me to bump textures up to ultra.

On 11/9/2019 at 2:06 AM, downzy said:

Hey, thanks again.  This was the catalyst to me playing more, because the FPS was bothering me and I kept fucking with it and not really getting into the game.

Quick question for anyone who has played:

1.  Do I have to "sleep?"  It mentions sleep in loading menus, but I can't figure out how to do it.

2.  Do I have to actually donate straight up money to the camp?  Or is that taken care of when I donate something like an animal skin and it says it's worth $1.00 or whatever?

3 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

1.  Do I have to "sleep?"  It mentions sleep in loading menus, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I don't believe it's necessary but it can help restore stamina and energy levels.  Don't forget to eat from time to time.  You can also bath in the hotel in Valentine and other towns and cities.  I couldn't figure this out at first and it was getting tiring of people commenting on my hygiene.  

3 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

2.  Do I have to actually donate straight up money to the camp?  Or is that taken care of when I donate something like an animal skin and it says it's worth $1.00 or whatever?

Sort of.  But if you go to the area where you donate, you can also see what's available to buy for the camp with any money you donate (don't expect anyone else from the camp to contribute anything substantial).  You can upgrade various facilities within the camp, some of which will eventually allow you to fast travel (I can't remember which ones those are).  So there are personal gains to donating to the camp and then using the collective proceeds to buy stuff for the camp.  

• Like 1

On 9-11-2019 at 6:47 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’ve heard the PC launch has been disastrous and unplayable, is true?

Yeah it definitely is, i have a pretty decent rig but yet the game still freezes for a few seconds every now and then. Besides that i'm getting randomly thrown out of the online world with some vague error code. Sure there are some workarounds possible but at least i can play it. There's many reports from people that can't even fire it up!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have had a pretty enjoyable experience with this game.

This is my "wife and kids are sleeping" game. That small timeframe between when they go to bed and myself, when I have a little time for myself.

Typically, I'd do a (side) mission and / or do some stuff in the camp, then return to the camp and go to sleep. Now and then, I take a bath in the hotel / shave / maintain my guns and other goofy stuff. At the end of it all, I go to sleep in the camp, after which I go to sleep in the real world.

There is a certain relaxing quality to this game, that makes it the perfect "just before bed" ativity.

• 7 months later...
On 09/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, downzy said:

I just bought an RTX 2070 Super and picked this up to give it something to chew on. Turned all the settings up to Ultra at 4K internal resolution and managed 1FPS. Not 30, not 20, not 10 but fucking 1FPS! :lol:  Thankfully by scaling that back a little and keeping all the other settings (including water physics) at max I'm getting a very playable 40ish FPS which given the slow and steady nature of the game isn't really an issue. It is an absolutely stunning looking game on the PC though. I've literally been spending all my play time not even doing any of the story and just riding around marvelling at the visuals. :lol:  

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

I just bought an RTX 2070 Super and picked this up to give it something to chew on. Turned all the settings up to Ultra at 4K internal resolution and managed 1FPS. Not 30, not 20, not 10 but fucking 1FPS! :lol:  Thankfully by scaling that back a little and keeping all the other settings (including water physics) at max I'm getting a very playable 40ish FPS which given the slow and steady nature of the game isn't really an issue. It is an absolutely stunning looking game on the PC though. I've literally been spending all my play time not even doing any of the story and just riding around marvelling at the visuals. :lol:  

Stop motion video gaming!  Sounds like fun. 

The game is already stunning running at 4K 30fps on my Xbox One X. It’s hard to imagine how much better it could look with a rig like yours but I’m sure it’s nuts. 

I wonder how this game will perform on next gen consoles. 

24 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Don't do internal resolution silly!

Wonder what my rig can do. I might finally get Red Dead 2...

I was just playing with the settings to see how far I could push it. To be honest with display at 1080P and internal res at 1.5x it does look noticeably sharper. I've basically cranked all the other settings until I can get a steady 30-40 FPS and I think the extra graphical fidelity is worth a slight sacrifice in frame-rate. As I said before it would be more of an issue if this was something like Street Fighter V where every frame counts but in a game where I just spent 15 minutes helping a farmer by shoveling pig shit into a wheelbarrow it's not really an issue. :lol: 

I think my rig is slightly CPU bottle-necked (I7 6700 non K series) too so you might get a bit more performance as I think our GPUs are about comparable but your processor has a bit more grunt.  

Add me to your Steam if you decide to get this and we can have a game online. :thumbsup: 

Edited by Dazey

On 08/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, downzy said:

I'm really enjoying the slow pace of it. I literally got on the train the other day and spent about 20 minutes just looking out of the window as it went round and round the map. :lol: 

If I'm wanting to go for 100% completion is there a cut off point in the story after which I can't go back to certain side missions etc? I'm currently in Chapter 2 but I've not done a lot of the story missions yet. 

17 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'm really enjoying the slow pace of it. I literally got on the train the other day and spent about 20 minutes just looking out of the window as it went round and round the map. :lol:

Good Lord it must be nice to have that kind of free time. :P

18 minutes ago, Dazey said:

If I'm wanting to go for 100% completion is there a cut off point in the story after which I can't go back to certain side missions etc? I'm currently in Chapter 2 but I've not done a lot of the story missions yet.

For 100 percent completion there is no cutoff point.

I would advise to keep an eye on the challenges and try to finish most of the weaponry and fight-related tasks while you’re working your way through the main story. Unfortunately they are sequential so you have to beat, say, challenge 5 of a particular category before you can finish step 6, even if you have already done it before. I had to replay quite a few missions after I was done the main story to complete the challenges as they are difficult to finish outside of a mission.

The one matter that relates to completing the entire game but has no bearing on reaching 100 percent is finishing the animal compendium.  If you want credit for spotting, studying, killing, and getting a perfect skin/pelt of every animal in the game, you need to do this before the main story is done. I don’t want to ruin anything for you but one of the chapters takes place on an entirely different map that is inaccessible (though there is a huge pain in the ass hack to get back) once you have left.  The animals in that section need to be completed in the compendium before you leave if you want a full book. I didn’t know this at the time so although I reached 100 percent according to the requirements of the game, I have a few holes in the compendium and so the achievement feels a bit hollow. You actually don’t have to do literally everything to get 100 percent. Most of it’s fun, but some of it is a pain in the ass. But since you seem to enjoy virtual train rides, finding and picking various flowers and killing different kinds of egrets is likely no sweat for you. 

• 5 months later...

Love this game, atleast the story mode, online didn't do it for me. I can just ride around for hours looking to make o'driscolls and lemoyne raiders lives miserabel. My favorite area by far is the one around Rhodes, with all the beautiful meadows. Does anyone have another favorite area?