"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Christine (2016)

Biopic of Florida news anchor Christine Chubbuck who committed suicide on-air in 1974. Not to spoil it too much but she was a very depressed woman who tried to human interest stories she cared about instead of "if it bleeds, it leads" stories. And the struggles behind a very male dominated field. The acting and story was top notch, especially from Rebecca Hall, who played Chubbuck. 4 out of 5. I'd recommend

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Biopic of Florida news anchor Christine Chubbuck who committed suicide on-air in 1974. 

Made me think of that infamous clip of R. Budd Dwyer when he killed himself on-air. I read that Kurt Cobain watched it obsessively over and over. That was brutal footage...

Edited by EvanG

On 7/3/2020 at 2:54 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

the Shining

Jack N was a mad man. lol

The little boy was annoying to me and the wife. Oh boy!

Anyway, it was pretty freaky. My mom said the book had a different ending, but it was directed by Stanley K and he did things his own way.

"the Skull" with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Not a bad 60's movie.

Stanley Kubrick put the cast and crew through hell during the production of The Shining. Some of the things he did to Shelley Duvall were borderline criminal. It had a profound negative impact on her mental health. I'm a big Kubrick fan but he crossed the line on that one.

Edited by lame ass security

22 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Stanley Kubrick put the cast and crew through hell during the production of The Shining. Some of the things he did to Shelley Duvall were borderline criminal. It had a profound negative impact on her mental health. I'm a big Kubrick fan but he crossed the line on that one.

wow! That sucks. That's like some things Alfred Hitchcock did to Tippy Hendrin.

I guess at those times no one said anything about the directors. Honestly, I don't know why someone as big as a star as Jack N wouldn't have spoken up. Same goes for Sean Connery and the other big time actors who did movies with Tippy.

I guess Stanley was okay working with Malcolm McDowell since he first hung up on Stanley about A Clockwork Orange movie and then later made suggestions for his look that Stanley okay'd.

I guess Shelley must have been really stressed out like her character seemed to be through the whole movie.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

wow! That sucks. That's like some things Alfred Hitchcock did to Tippy Hendrin.

I guess at those times no one said anything about the directors. Honestly, I don't know why someone as big as a star as Jack N wouldn't have spoken up. Same goes for Sean Connery and the other big time actors who did movies with Tippy.

I guess Stanley was okay working with Malcolm McDowell since he first hung up on Stanley about A Clockwork Orange movie and then later made suggestions for his look that Stanley okay'd.

I guess Shelley must have been really stressed out like her character seemed to be through the whole movie.

Yeah, Kubrick was notorious for getting the exact shot he wanted regardless of how many takes it required.  In fact, I think the scene with the baseball bat going up the stairs might hold the record for multiple takes. Anyway, I don't have a problem with that, he was a perfectionist and everybody knew it. But, when you start belittling and bullying people in front of everyone, that's a problem. I think it did freak Nicholson out, he said Kubrick was a different director with Shelley Duvall. There's probably not many people Jack was intimidated by but I get the impression he was with Kubrick. 

On 3.07.2020 at 9:54 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

the Shining

Jack N was a mad man. lol

The little boy was annoying to me and the wife. Oh boy!

Anyway, it was pretty freaky. My mom said the book had a different ending, but it was directed by Stanley K and he did things his own way.

Kubrick's ending is much better. Same goes for Apt Pupil.

Red Rock West (1992) by John Dahl

Cast: Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle, J. T. Walsh, Timothy Carhart

Cinematography: Marc Reshovsky

Music: William Olvis

I've always loved noir, on film and in literature. So I do love neo-noir. This one is a real gem. Great story and direction, wonderful work of camera, really good soundtrack, and, of course, fine acting. Dennis Hopper is Dennis Hopper, Nicolas Cage was still an actor then, beautiful and talented Lara Flynn Boyle, whose career after this movie should've started for good, but, unfortunately, it wasn't meant to her (fuck you, Hollywood) and J.T. Walsh (gone too soon), one of my all-time favorite character/supporting actors.

"Marriage is just a state of mind."

P.S. IMDb score: 7,0. Literate IMDb users' score: 8,9. I'm not bullshitting you.

P.P.S. Noticed some time ago that most of my favorite music and films are from the '80s and early '90s. The '70s was arguably the best decade for popular culture, but for me it was later. Artists had all those inspirations, '40s and '50s noir, French New Wave, etc. And they pushed everything even further. Those times were also the last ones, when artist, especially filmmakers, had freedom. Since the late '90s, it's just a business.

The Other Dream Team (YouTube)

Documentary about the Lithuanian basketball teams incredible journey to winning bronze at the 92 Olympic Games. What a great piece of sporting history!! Its weaves into politics and culture in such a rich way. I came to this film as a Deadhead because the Dead actually sponsored the teams trip to the Games!! I mean, that is too cool! :headbang:

Under USSR rule, 4-5 members of the USSRs Basketball teams starting lineup were Lithuanian. Basketball had in fact been used as a tool for survival when the Russians first took over and sent so many Lithuanians to reeducation camps. So when with the collapse of the USSR Lithuanians proud basketball legacy could now be represented under their own flag. Only issue was that they couldnt afford the trip to Korea to participate in the Games. Thats when the Grateful Dead got in touch with them and offered to cover the travel expenses - $5000 USD.

An artist ex-pat created an image based on Grateful Deads Skull Fuck/Skull and Roses album cover, along with some obligatory tie dye. He made an image if a dunking skeleton, rising from the ashes like a Phoenix. That became the team uniform! A tie died Grateful Dead album cover was the uniform!!! And the shirt sales were used as a fundraiser which to date has raised over $450k to support basketball camps and other childresns charities in Lithuania. 

You will never see an AFD cross on the Congolese bobsledding teams uniform. Wait, so Axl isnt so woke?? Don't tell Twitter.

Watch this film!!! 

2 hours ago, soon said:

The Other Dream Team (YouTube)

Documentary about the Lithuanian basketball teams incredible journey to winning bronze at the 92 Olympic Games. What a great piece of sporting history!! Its weaves into politics and culture in such a rich way. I came to this film as a Deadhead because the Dead actually sponsored the teams trip to the Games!! I mean, that is too cool! :headbang:

Under USSR rule, 4-5 members of the USSRs Basketball teams starting lineup were Lithuanian. Basketball had in fact been used as a tool for survival when the Russians first took over and sent so many Lithuanians to reeducation camps. So when with the collapse of the USSR Lithuanians proud basketball legacy could now be represented under their own flag. Only issue was that they couldnt afford the trip to Korea to participate in the Games. Thats when the Grateful Dead got in touch with them and offered to cover the travel expenses - $5000 USD.

An artist ex-pat created an image based on Grateful Deads Skull Fuck/Skull and Roses album cover, along with some obligatory tie dye. He made an image if a dunking skeleton, rising from the ashes like a Phoenix. That became the team uniform! A tie died Grateful Dead album cover was the uniform!!! And the shirt sales were used as a fundraiser which to date has raised over $450k to support basketball camps and other childresns charities in Lithuania. 

You will never see an AFD cross on the Congolese bobsledding teams uniform. Wait, so Axl isnt so woke?? Don't tell Twitter.

Watch this film!!! 

Very cool, I'm sure Sarunas Marciulionis was featured prominently.  He played for Golden State back in the Run TMC days. Those guys were fun to watch.

• Like 1

Rewatching Schwarzenegger's oeuvre, Terminator, Terminator II, Predator, Commando, Conan the Barbarian - Total Recall, Running Man and True Lies in the pipeline. All the greats. None of the wank: none of your Red Sonyas. T2 was the ''extended extended'' version. I had only seen the extended version with the dream sequence with Kyle Reese and that scene where they go inside Arnie's head and remove the microchip, but this is longer again and contains an extra finale with a Linda Hamilton in slightly iffy looking aged make-up and a middle aged John Connor (actor who of course plays him in one of the future scenes) as this preppy looking middle class guy playing in a playground with his kid. It is to show Judgement Day did not happen you see? Just realised that this scene completely messes with the continuity of Dark Fate (does anyone care?). 

Arnold's career is curious: He was on this incredible roll from Conan onwards which lasted through to True Lies and then never made another good film again! 

I'd rank them,

1. Terminator 

2. Predator

3. Conan the Barbarian (used to love the scene where he shags the witch)

4. T2

5. Commando (probably the most fun one he ever made though)

6. Total Recall

7. Running Man

8. True Lies

Red Heat isn't too bad either although I wouldn't rank it with the above. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rewatching Schwarzenegger's oeuvre, Terminator, Terminator II, Predator, Commando, Conan the Barbarian - Total Recall, Running Man and True Lies in the pipeline. All the greats. None of the wank: none of your Red Sonyas. T2 was the ''extended extended'' version. I had only seen the extended version with the dream sequence with Kyle Reese and that scene where they go inside Arnie's head and remove the microchip, but this is longer again and contains an extra finale with a Linda Hamilton in slightly iffy looking aged make-up and a middle aged John Connor (actor who of course plays him in one of the future scenes) as this preppy looking middle class guy playing in a playground with his kid. It is to show Judgement Day did not happen you see? Just realised that this scene completely messes with the continuity of Dark Fate (does anyone care?). 

Arnold's career is curious: He was on this incredible roll from Conan onwards which lasted through to True Lies and then never made another good film again! 

I'd rank them,

1. Terminator 

2. Predator

3. Conan the Barbarian (used to love the scene where he shags the witch)

4. T2

5. Commando (probably the most fun one he ever made though)

6. Total Recall

7. Running Man

8. True Lies

Red Heat isn't too bad either although I wouldn't rank it with the above. 

Post True Lies is basically where I stopped watching Arnie films.  I think I saw End of Days and The Sixth something or other way after their release, like years after, weren't ever so memorable.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Post True Lies is basically where I stopped watching Arnie films.  I think I saw End of Days and The Sixth something or other way after their release, like years after, weren't ever so memorable.

Surely you've seen Beretta's Island? :lol:

Beretta's_Island_poster.jpg

26 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'd never fuckin' heard of it until you just mentioned it...and I thought I'd seen all his shit through that time period Dies' stated.

It's some straight to video nonsense shot in Sardinia. He had a cameo in it because his best mate's the star. Funny to think that this was a year before True Lies and only two years after Terminator 2. :lol:   

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

It's some straight to video nonsense shot in Sardinia. He had a cameo in it because his best mate's the star. Funny to think that this was a year before True Lies and only two years after Terminator 2. :lol:   

Well, mates a mate innit :lol: 

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Last Action Hero is underrated. I guess a lot of people didn't get it. 

I really enjoyed Last Action Hero. It did mark the start of the downturn in Arnie's career (True Lies excepted) because it had the misfortune of launching in the same window as Jurassic park which absolutely blew it out of the water. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I really enjoyed Last Action Hero. It did mark the start of the downturn in Arnie's career (True Lies excepted) because it had the misfortune of launching in the same window as Jurassic park which absolutely blew it out of the water. 

It's basically a satire, it's Arnie making fun of his career and all the cliché action movies he has made up until that point, but disguised as an action movie, yet it's a lot more than just that. But I guess the audience wanted just another typical action movie from him instead of a movie with weird plot twists. 

15 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Very cool, I'm sure Sarunas Marciulionis was featured prominently.  He played for Golden State back in the Run TMC days. Those guys were fun to watch.

He was, yeah. Nice call! I learned a lot of new players. Im not familiar with Run TMC though?