British Politics

Gracii Guns

21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why is the UK still negotiating with the EU? I thought Johnson had stated that if they hadn't reached an agreement by June they would withdraw from the negotiations and instead have a hard Brexit?

*whispers* Because all the Brexit lot are full of shit.

They’re probably trying to keep it all under the radar and hope nobody notices when all our farmers suddenly go bankrupt in January. 

They’ll probably try to blame it on Covid if I had to guess. 

32 minutes ago, Dazey said:

*whispers* Because all the Brexit lot are full of shit.

They’re probably trying to keep it all under the radar and hope nobody notices when all our farmers suddenly go bankrupt in January. 

They’ll probably try to blame it on Covid if I had to guess. 

I see there is a little bit of give-and-take in the negotiations. To secure a deal you might have to give up some stuff and end up being a "lite" member of the EU, similar to the situation with Norway. 

55 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I see there is a little bit of give-and-take in the negotiations. To secure a deal you might have to give up some stuff and end up being a "lite" member of the EU, similar to the situation with Norway. 

See it's the giving up things that doesn't seem to compute with your average brexiter. They think that they can keep all the good things and not have to share any of the responsibility. It's like this nonsense with fishing rights. They're basically saying to the EU that they can't have access to any UK waters and expecting them so just roll over and let them get away with it. A part of me kind of hopes that that happens to see the look of their faces when they find out that nobody in the UK eats any of the fish varieties caught in our waters.

We'd have full control over our waters to catch all the fish we wanted whilst having no bugger to sell it to. :lol: Either that or we sell to the EU as we do now but with 20% tariffs and we can buy the fish we actually want from the EU once again with big fuck off tariffs. It's win win if you're fucking mental! :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

See it's the giving up things that doesn't seem to compute with your average brexiter. They think that they can keep all the good things and not have to share any of the responsibility. It's like this nonsense with fishing rights. They're basically saying to the EU that they can't have access to any UK waters and expecting them so just roll over and let them get away with it. A part of me kind of hopes that that happens to see the look of their faces when they find out that nobody in the UK eats any of the fish varieties caught in our waters. We'd have full control over our waters to catch all the fish we wanted whilst having no bugger to sell it to. :lol: 

It is a flawed concept that a country can to a large extent exist separately from all other countries, and when it does have to engage with others it can dictate the terms on its own. In reality the web of interactions between nations is tremendous and all countries have to give and take in their relationships with others. This can be handled under the umbrella called "EU" or not, depending on the level of connectivity one wishes, but believing one can severe all ties and get all the benefits, is slightly politically naive.

The latest I heard is that the UK might give up on refusing EU access to British fishing waters in return for getting some concessions on migration. But it is all up in air still.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is a flawed concept that a country can to a large extent exist separately from all other countries, and when it does have to engage with others it can dictate the terms on its own. In reality the web of interactions between nations is tremendous and all countries have to give and take in their relationships with others. This can be handled under the umbrella called "EU" or not, depending on the level of connectivity one wishes, but believing one can severe all ties and get all the benefits, is slightly politically naive.

The latest I heard is that the UK might give up on refusing EU access to British fishing waters in return for getting some concessions on migration. But it is all up in air still.

It's all one big shit sandwich and none of them have a clue what's going on. Unfortunately the people who will be hit the hardest are those who voted for this nonsense en masse. 

49 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are you two finished wanking each other off yet?

Yeah, I've now gone for a shower at the gym where I cancelled my membership a year ago but where I still expect to use the facilities. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Yeah, I've now gone for a shower at the gym where I cancelled my membership a year ago but where I still expect to use the facilities. :lol: 

All these arguments equally apply vis-à-vis, i.e., the UK leaves the EU, officially accepted and respected by the EU, yet the EU still wants to fish in the UK's territorial waters. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

All these arguments equally apply vis-à-vis, i.e., the UK leaves the EU, officially accepted and respected by the EU, yet the EU still wants to fish in the UK's territorial waters. 

And the UK is saying that they can't which vis-à-vis would mean UK fisherman wouldn't be able to fish in European waters. I simply pointed out that we in the UK don't eat most of the fish caught in our waters so have to import it from the EU. In the event of a no deal we would pay much more for the privilege due to tariffs which would also make UK exports less appealing. So in summary we pay more for the fish we eat and our fishermen suffer as a result of being less competitive in the markets we sell into. I really don't see how this is an improvement. 

15 minutes ago, soon said:

I still dont understand why if Brexiteers cite neoliberalism/globalization as a reason to leave the EU, then why are they content to sit idly by as their government attempts to negotiate replacement neoliberal/glabalization trade deals?

I would say the average Brexiter on the street doesn't even use neoliberalism in his vocabulary. These people don't even have the language to articulate their true position and defend themselves. They just think if they got out of the EU, that immigration and outsourcing would cease.

11 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I would say the average Brexiter on the street doesn't even use neoliberalism in his vocabulary. These people don't even have the language to articulate their true position and defend themselves. They just think if they got out of the EU, that immigration and outsourcing would cease.

No doubt. I guess I even felt to the need to add "/globalization" hehe. 

In fairness to them, a great many people dont know of or well understand neoliberalism.

But still, I wonder then, how does a brexiteer conceptualize the current trade negotiations? Its just this huge blind spot? Are they hoping to have trade deals with a bunch of tariffs applied by both parties?? Better environmental regulations (lol)?

18 minutes ago, soon said:

No doubt. I guess I even felt to the need to add "/globalization" hehe. 

In fairness to them, a great many people dont know of or well understand neoliberalism.

But still, I wonder then, how does a brexiteer conceptualize the current trade negotiations? Its just this huge blind spot? Are they hoping to have trade deals with a bunch of tariffs applied by both parties?? Better environmental regulations (lol)?

All they know is that economic havoc has been wrought on everyone below the upper middle class for decades and they are sick of it. They probably don't have any policy prescriptions other than stop sending good jobs to other countries. I more blame the leaders who are supposed to lead these people.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Ouch, Jean-Yves Le Drian, foreign minister of France, bemoans the "intransigent and unrealistic attitude" of UK. Seems like negotiations are still going rather poorly.

Of course they are, we're governed by cretins. :lol: 

FYI one of the top Brexiters has just been arrested for being a sex case. We're not supposed to say his name but it rhymes with Fark Mrancois. :lol: 

https://japantoday.com/category/world/british-lawmaker-arrested-after-rape-accusation-sunday-times-reports

I'm guessing Brexit isn't the only withdrawal agreement he's failed to follow through on recently. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey