British Politics

Gracii Guns

2 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

AAA research note: Ritchie Blackmore is perhaps the closest guitarist personality to the Axl vocalist. Can you imagine trying to manage a band with them in?

Axl, Blackmore, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker - Gallaghers and Morrisey on backing vocals. Band of Cunts.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Boris, Trump and Putin could start WW3. 

It’s my simulation and I’ll die if I want to. I want to experience a nuke war. It’s on my bucket list. 

I experienced one last night, watching Warbirds: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1047544/

It's a pretty good TV movie. It only scores 3.3 on IMDB; bit of rhyming 33-DB beat poetry (Kerouac was my hero!); continued with poetry; but I'd give it 7.5.

35 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

I experienced one last night, watching Warbirds: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1047544/

It's a pretty good TV movie. It only scores 3.3 on IMDB; bit of rhyming 33-DB beat poetry (Kerouac was my hero!); continued with poetry; but I'd give it 7.5.

I check it out. I need to be ready. David Carradine reading On the Road as the mushroom cloud blooms. Once in a lifetime. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

To remember the pterodactyls, watching Warbirds is not enough. 

To remember the pterodactyls, you must be the pterodactyls.

Then, and only then, will you be the grasshopper who remembers pterodactyls. ;)

This is a old series I don’t know the reference. I feel empathy for dinosaurs, one day humans will be extinct. No one will know my posts. I feel sorry for them. I pity the future. 

• GNFNR 1

56 minutes ago, wasted said:

Parliament will let through to avoid no deal?

basically it’ll be the same as it ever wuz. 

I don't believe that it will.

Remove the DUP's 10 moaning about the open border and remove about 40 hardline Tory Euroskeptics and a few stray Tory ''Euro loonies'' like Ken Clarke and you are probably left with about 260 maximum. She needs 320 as Sinn Fein don't participate. She'll be forced to rely on the opposition. Blairy Labour (e.g., Chuka Umana) hate the prospect of leaving the EU to such an extent that they'll vote against any divorce, insisting on a ''people's vote'' (whatever that is?) - similarly the Lib Dems,  SNP and Caroline Lucas who combined are basically a 48 strong Europhile voting block. The hard-left, the Bennites conversely will vote against it because they hate the EU and this is basically a ''Brexit in a (EU) straight jacket''. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't believe that it will.

Remove the DUP's 10 moaning about the open border and remove about 40 hardline Tory Euroskeptics and a few stray Tory ''Euro loonies'' like Ken Clarke and you are probably left with about 260 maximum. She needs 320 as Sinn Fein don't participate. She'll be forced to rely on the opposition. Blairy Labour (e.g., Chuka Umana) hate the prospect of leaving the EU to such an extent that they'll vote against any divorce, insisting on a ''people's vote'' (whatever that is?) - similarly the Lib Dems,  SNP and Caroline Lucas who combined are basically a 48 strong Europhile voting block. The hard-left, the Bennites conversely will vote against it because they hate the EU and this is basically a ''Brexit in a (EU) straight jacket''. 

So a No deal or postponed the games because of snow.

Then a people’s vote sounds like another referendum?

Can they not get a basic deal through then work out details later?

8 hours ago, wasted said:

Then a people’s vote sounds like another referendum?

It is. Nobody voted for a Norway kind of deal. The referendum was about Leave or Remain. Let people vote on this third way that wasn't available the first time around. This new referendum should be Leave, Remain, Just free trade agreement with EU. It has to look more or less like that.

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why is it called a ''people's vote'' though? Referenda are inherently ''people's vote'' anyhow seeing as they entail the entire electorate excising a direct vote.  Is it claiming that the 2016 referendum, 33,577,342 participating, was not a ''people's vote''?

It is the same thing with different name. Eventually if it done I guess the official name will be referendum on the deal or something like it

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Won’t free trade vote just take votes away from Leave, Remain will win? 

I don't have a crystal ball. I have no way of knowing what people are going to end up deciding. Leave it to the media to do a few polls. It is probably the only way to have an idea about what people want.

43 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why is it called a ''people's vote'' though? Referenda are inherently ''people's vote'' anyhow seeing as they entail the entire electorate excising a direct vote.  Is it claiming that the 2016 referendum, 33,577,342 participating, was not a ''people's vote''?

Is it the people who want to stay who call it the people's vote? It's obviously meant to sound as if the people haven't voted already and this was all done behind the people's back. The way it sounds now is as if now finally let's hear what the people think about it! The high and mighty have had their referendum, now the average Joe will have the people's vote. At least that's how it sounds to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

It is the same thing with different name. Eventually if it done I guess the official name will be referendum on the deal or something like it

It is political rhetoric. 

A second referendum would of course be obscene. What if they don't get the vote they want? Will they demand a third, a fourth, a...

7 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't have a crystal ball. I have no way of knowing what people are going to end up deciding. Leave it to the media to do a few polls. It is probably the only way to have an idea about what people want.

I think it will actually go through parliament. There’s all this talk but things just keep going forward getting more diluted as it goes. It will go through be delayed and have some undecided sections. 

My crystal ball is well polished. 

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is political rhetoric. 

A second referendum would of course be obscene. What if they don't get the vote they want? Will they demand a third, a fourth, a...

But there has to be another referendum. Nobody voted for this deal in 2016. Unless this deal is rejected in the Parliament. If this is the case then I don't know

6 minutes ago, Padme said:

But there has to be another referendum. Nobody voted for this deal in 2016. Unless this deal is rejected in the Parliament. If this is the case then I don't know

I disagree. Nobody voted for the millions of other legislation that has passed through Parliament either. The United Kingdom is not and never has been a direct plebiscitary democracy. But we did have one in 2016, so let's say we do have a second referendum? One thing is certain: the United Kingdom must leave the EU. It doesn't matter if it is Norway, Chequers, Canada, no deal/WTO rules, the UK must leave in order to honour the referendum of 2016.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I disagree. Nobody voted for the millions of other legislation that has passed through Parliament either. The United Kingdom is not and never has been a direct plebiscitary democracy. But we did have one in 2016, so let's say we do have a second referendum? One thing is certain: the United Kingdom must leave the EU. It doesn't matter if it is Norway, Chequers, Canada, no deal/WTO rules, the UK must leave in order to honour the referendum of 2016.

But this deal doesn't honour the Referendum for neither side. When you say the UK must leave. This deal is not really a Leave. Norway kind of deal is half way Leave and Remain

And people voted back in the 70s over membership in the EEC.