Jump to content
Powerage5

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER TAGS NO LONGER REQUIRED]

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Anything I say will give away things...please google, but the timeline is well established based on canon.  Han is 19 in Solo, 29 in a New Hope, approximately a 9-10 year gap.  Maybe check out Rebels, that was 5 years before A New Hope, you clearly haven't watched Rebels based on your other comments and Rebels includes several relevant story lines to SOLO.  Sorry for the attack, but it was just an observation :)

You clearly you are not a Star Wars expert, so before you want to argue things that you don't actually know what you are talking about, maybe consider you don't know what you are talking about. 

Wear the badge proudly bro.

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Finally, just b/c they were "on their way" to Tatooine doesn't mean they went straight there, they could have gotten sidetracked or went on a five year bender, etc.  It also doesn't mean they didn't work several jobs for Jabba before fucking one up.  It's pretty clear from the original trilogy that Han and Jabba knew each other for some time and Han had completed some successful jobs for Jabba before the one occurred where he got boarded and had to dump his freight.   

It is a fair point and I did think of that but the ending of Solo does imply something close to a direct chronological relationship with A New Hope. You cannot leave an ending such as it is, ''going to meet Jabba etc etc'', without that being the case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. 

I don't like Darth Maul being in it. I think it screws up the entire chronological timeline of the series but I admit I don't know enough about Star Wars to say for certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

This movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. 

I don't like Darth Maul being in it. I think it screws up the entire chronological timeline of the series but I admit I don't know enough about Star Wars to say for certain.

It doesn't if you're at all familiar with the Expanded Universe.  And Maul does look a lot older in Solo than in PM.  I'd explain the connection myself but you're better off Googling it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The majority seeing this film won't have seen the expanded stuff, and won't be tolerably interested either in the expanded stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The majority seeing this film won't have seen the expanded stuff, and won't be tolerably interested either in the expanded stuff. 

Rebels isn’t EU, it’s canon.  There’s a difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying to figure out if this was before episode one and I assumed it was. Then I thought again and said, wait a minute, this dude is already dead!

Then I googled it and found out they brought him back in some cartoons and blah, blah, blah. RETCON!  (Saturday morning cliffhanger: He isn't dead after all folks! He survived off screen and here he is again to the point of redundancy!)

He was a one-off character. He wasn't meant to survive. He was meant to look cool so George Lucas could put his face on Pepsi cans and sell the shit out of them six months in advance of the movie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darth Maul is my biggest problem with this movie. 

If they wanted him to survive Episode 1, they should have taken the time to explain this somewhere before Han in the 'Disney Wars' series. 

Okay I get it. He survived in the extended universe and that's technically canon, but these movies Disney's making are reaching a far broader and mainstream audience than these other mediums ever did. The average moviegoer won't understand what the fuck is going on and it will confuse them. 

And it felt like a poor fit. Keeping Maul alive for the sake of financial profiteering is so dirty and lazy.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Darth Maul is my biggest problem with this movie. 

If they wanted him to survive Episode 1, they should have taken the time to explain this somewhere before Han in the 'Disney Wars' series. 

Okay I get it. He survived in the extended universe and that's technically canon, but these movies Disney's making are reaching a far broader and mainstream audience than these other mediums ever did. The average moviegoer won't understand what the fuck is going on and it will confuse them. 

And it felt like a poor fit. Keeping Maul alive for the sake of financial profiteering is so dirty and lazy.

 

It is certainly a big change in direction that they are going to treat the expanded stuff with so much reverence to include it in the films, the scene not making much sense if you haven't followed the cartoons and comics. 

PS

I'll have a go at ordering them, 

1. Empire

2. Star Wars

3. Jedi

4. Rogue One

5. Solo

6. Phantom Menace

7. Sith

8. Force Awakens

9. Clones

10. Last Jedi

The gap between 3-4 is still gigantic: I still regard nothing as coming remotely close to the original trilogy.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that most fans seem to be enjoying the spinoffs more so than the sequels. Makes me wonder if disney will keep going in that direction, or if the box office failure of solo will make them change their plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

It's interesting that most fans seem to be enjoying the spinoffs more so than the sequels. Makes me wonder if disney will keep going in that direction, or if the box office failure of solo will make them change their plans.

I was wondering about that too. I'm guessing they'll forge ahead with the planned films but I'm thinking they'll be spaced out further going forward.

Also, I'm going to take a tip from @DieselDaisy and give my ranking:

 

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. The Force Awakens

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Return of the Jedi

5. A New Hope

6. Solo

7. Rogue One

8. Attack of the Clones

9. The Phantom Menace

10.

11.

12.

13.

14.

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20. The Last Jedi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I was wondering about that too. I'm guessing they'll forge ahead with the planned films but I'm thinking they'll be spaced out further going forward.

Also, I'm going to take a tip from @DieselDaisy and give my ranking:

 

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. The Force Awakens

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Return of the Jedi

5. A New Hope

6. Solo

7. Rogue One

8. Attack of the Clones

9. The Phantom Menace

10.

11.

12.

13.

14.

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20. The Last Jedi

I just can’t fathom The Last Jedi being so high on somebody’s list!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finally caved and saw it last night and it was... okay. Average summer action flick. More rewatchable than Rogue One and whatever the hell The Last Jedi was, but not great either. The first half was clunky and a lot of the explicit origin stuff felt kind of shoehorned in or unnecessary (the scene where he gets his name made me cringe). Nothing could have prepared me for the cringe-inducing Darth Maul appearance though. God, does everything in the Skywalker/Solo universe have to connect? It’s too convenient and lazy. Brings me back to a time when I learned that Anakin had built C-3PO. Overall though, I thought the cast was good and the action scenes were at least fun despite some clunky pacing overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 10:07 PM, arnold layne said:

Darth Maul is my biggest problem with this movie. 

If they wanted him to survive Episode 1, they should have taken the time to explain this somewhere before Han in the 'Disney Wars' series. 

Okay I get it. He survived in the extended universe and that's technically canon, but these movies Disney's making are reaching a far broader and mainstream audience than these other mediums ever did. The average moviegoer won't understand what the fuck is going on and it will confuse them. 

And it felt like a poor fit. Keeping Maul alive for the sake of financial profiteering is so dirty and lazy.

 

Rebels isn't EU...it is canon, there is a difference.  So, the time has been taken to do exactly what you wanted.  It isn't anyone's fault but your own that you unaware. you wanted them to take to the time to explain this and that has actually been done by Disney in Rebels.  it's your fault you are unaware, get over it.   

If you want to argue that Maul should have been left dead or whatever, well that's a different argument.  But, you being unaware  that he survived is no one's fault but YOURS. 

I've spoken with several "average" movie goes (those that haven't watched Rebels and also aren't huge Star Wars Jizzers) and no one has had any issue with it.     

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You apparently have to have read every comic about some obscure character to understand these films now. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, DieselDaisy said:

You apparently have to have read every comic about some obscure character to understand these films now. 

Rebels is a TV show....pretty sure everyone who hasn’t watched Rebels realized Maul was alive when he popped up in Solo, sorry it’s so difficult for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Rebels is a TV show....pretty sure everyone who hasn’t watched Rebels realized Maul was alive when he popped up in Solo, sorry it’s so difficult for you.

I actually already knew before this film was made that in the nerd stuff he survived and had obtained robot legs or some bollocks but I'm not interested in the nerd stuff. ''Star Wars=films'' for me. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I actually already knew before this film was made that in the nerd stuff he survived and had obtained robot legs or some bollocks but I'm not interested in the nerd stuff. ''Star Wars=films'' for me. 

 

OK?  Then why complain lol, thanks for confirming my original opinion.   Sometimes you just complain to be negative, have fun with that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tsinindy said:

OK?  Then why complain lol, thanks for confirming my original opinion.   Sometimes you just complain to be negative, have fun with that.  

Where have I unduly complained exactly?

Heck, I didn't even say the film was that bad! I said it was ''fun''. I have it above the prequels and episode 7-8 in my rankings. I do not know what you are getting your knickers in a twist about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2018 at 10:26 AM, tsinindy said:

Rebels isn't EU...it is canon, there is a difference.  So, the time has been taken to do exactly what you wanted.  It isn't anyone's fault but your own that you unaware. you wanted them to take to the time to explain this and that has actually been done by Disney in Rebels.  it's your fault you are unaware, get over it.   

If you want to argue that Maul should have been left dead or whatever, well that's a different argument.  But, you being unaware  that he survived is no one's fault but YOURS. 

I've spoken with several "average" movie goes (those that haven't watched Rebels and also aren't huge Star Wars Jizzers) and no one has had any issue with it.     

No need to be a condescending dick. 

But yes, your own argument works too. Death Maul being alive is terrible and I will just pretend this movie never existed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

No need to be a condescending dick. 

But yes, your own argument works too. Death Maul being alive is terrible and I will just pretend this movie never existed. 

Good for you.   Ignorance is bliss and you are full of bliss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated ranking:

1) Empire

2) Hope

3) Return

4) Force

5) Sith

6) Clones

7) Solo

And then I truly can’t decide which is less watchable for me at this point between Phantom, Last Jedi, and Rogue One. Last Jedi has Mark Hamill so it does win points there.

Initially I had Last Jedi higher based on what I posted a few months ago in that thread but I have decided I truly did not like it. Rogue One is just “meh” and dull to me, and Phantom still hits the bottom barrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Good for you.   Ignorance is bliss and you are full of bliss.

You're being kind of a bitch today. What for? To be honest I never knew Maul was still alive. A coworker just explained it to me today. The Star wars cartoons are dumb and would never watch them anyway. At least Maul being in the movie makes sense now, but every fan shouldn't have to watch cartoons just to be "in the know" of the main saga story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darth Maul has been alive in canon since 2012, before Disney bought Star Wars. He appeared in The Clone Wars and Rebels. He even has a duel with Sidious in one of the last seasons of The Clone Wars. Shit I haven't watched more than the first half of season one of Rebels and I know this shit. Maul eventually tracks down Kenobi and duels him again.

 

Maul's survival of Episode I pre-dates Disney and was approved by George Lucas who was very involved with The Clone Wars TV show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 31illusions said:

You're being kind of a bitch today. What for? To be honest I never knew Maul was still alive. A coworker just explained it to me today. The Star wars cartoons are dumb and would never watch them anyway. At least Maul being in the movie makes sense now, but every fan shouldn't have to watch cartoons just to be "in the know" of the main saga story.

@AslatIE answered your most important question :)

So, how do you know the cartoons are dumb if you have never watched them?  Maybe they are really fucking good.  Maybe they suck, but if you haven't watched it or at least tried, how do you know?    

As for your last point, you may be right, but for the sake of argument did his appearance in Solo really detract from your experience all that much.  I mean hell, it's not like he was an integral part of the story line at all.    

The original point I was responding to is another poster who was claiming that Disney should have taken the time to explain that DM was actually still alive somewhere before this movie......they actually did that, so it's not Disney's fault you or he or anyone else didn't watch.  They did exactly what that poster wanted, yet its Disney's fault he didn't know it, makes sense doesn't it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×