Your opinion about Tommy Stinson

11 minutes ago, maynard said:

A guy who has never written a memorable bass line or any song woth listening more than once. Joined Axl's GNR although he hated the band and all it represented for some easy money. Awful stage presence and on his last days with Axl's band he seemed bored/drunk/both all the time. Nobody listens to the Replacements, nobody. Nobody cares about them and nobody ever will. They are a footnote in music's history. Tommy is a lucky guy I'll give you that.

Replacements were part of something much more important and seismic to music than GnR ever were, GnR were a big rock band in the mould of many before, Mats established the alternative venue circuit, along with Black Flag, REM, Husker Du they laid the groundwork and created the fanbase that bands like Nirvana and them blew into the mainstream, The Mats matter to the right people, people deeply passionate about music, Guns n Roses are for Greatest Hits buyers.  A snobby thing to say perhaps but in an era where popular music is on the wane hardcore audiences matter more now than ever.  Thats why The Mats can have documentaries made about them based entirely on fans telling the story, cuz thats where the impact of The Mats is ingrained more than ever, in the way their music changed peoples lives, not just their hairstyles.

The fact that we’re sitting here in 2017 talking about The Mats still is testament to just how powerful they were, a band that never had a major record label contract for the first 7 years of their existence and made their impact almost entirely within that time.

We should not be talking about these 4 supposed no hopers from Minneapolis today...but we are and people will continue to, their album Let it Be gets ranked as one of the best albums of the 1980s regularly, it is a defining work of alternative rock, the genre that killed bands like Guns n Roses in a way from which they were never to recover.  All this starting as a bunch of no hope drunken ham and eggers.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just a Sid rip-off really,

fb01176f391932ff56d17ea4a396be86.jpg

tommy-stinson-of-the-replacements-img_42

You could say the same for Duff, he wore the bikers jacket and padlock and chain too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Replacements were part of something much more important and seismic to music than GnR ever were, GnR were a big rock band in the mould of many before, Mats established the alternative venue circuit, along with Black Flag, REM, Husker Du they laid the groundwork and created the fanbase that bands like Nirvana and them blew into the mainstream, The Mats matter to the right people, people deeply passionate about music, Guns n Roses are for Greatest Hits buyers.  A snobby thing to say perhaps but in an era where popular music is on the wane hardcore audiences matter more now than ever.  Thats why The Mats can have documentaries made about them based entirely on fans telling the story, cuz thats where the impact of The Mats is ingrained more than ever, in the way their music changed peoples lives, not just their hairstyles.

The fact that we’re sitting here in 2017 talking about The Mats still is testament to just how powerful they were, a band that never had a major record label contract for the first 7 years of their existence and made their impact almost entirely within that time.

We should not be talking about these 4 supposed no hopers from Minneapolis today...but we are and people will continue to, their album Let it Be gets ranked as one of the best albums of the 1980s regularly, it is a defining work of alternative rock, the genre that killed bands like Guns n Roses in a way from which they were never to recover.  All this starting as a bunch of no hope drunken ham and eggers.

You could say the same for Duff, he wore the bikers jacket and padlock and chain too.

He doesn't look the same though with that tart's hair and flabby gut during his heyday.

• Haha 1

Just now, soon said:

Sid is a Sid copy - a prefab "punk" brought into to make a punk pioneering band more punk as the commercialization of the style had by that point dictated a uniform that Pistols didn't necessarily actually have themselves.

I think he deserves a bit more credit than that, he was part of the core audience when it was nothing.  He was bought in cuz he was John Rottens mate more than anything.  

1 hour ago, action said:

i've always found him an incredible douchebag. i dunno why, it's a gut feeling. piyama's on stage weren't cool for like, ever.

highly annoying piyama stinson is highly annoying.

there's rumours flying around of him hindering Axl in finishing chinese democracy (even though Axl did most of the sabotaging himself) and reveling in being a paid hand. easy money.

whatever did he do for GNR other than keeping the inertion going? oh yes, he made that brilliant track riad and the bediouns. if i never have to hear that shite again, i'm a happy bastard

I dont recall hearing about those rumours.  Anything you can share?

Just now, soon said:

I dont recall hearing about those rumours.  Anything you can share?

Oh fuck me, its Tommys fault now is it? :lol:  I suppose he was why original Guns fucked up too.  Nothing to do with Axl Rose being a massive bellend, oh, heaven forbid :lol: 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Sid is a Sid copy - a prefab "punk" brought into to make a punk pioneering band more punk as the commercialization of the style had by that point dictated a uniform that Pistols didn't necessarily actually have themselves.

The real punks were the blues and country musicians from the 40's and 50's. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh fuck me, its Tommys fault now is it? :lol:  I suppose he was why original Guns fucked up too.  Nothing to do with Axl Rose being a massive bellend, oh, heaven forbid :lol: 

Well... Id still like to hear about them.  

27 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Never in my post I compared GNR with The Replacements so I don't know why you brought this wall of text up.

I say they are overrated. Their influence is not that big and their importance to the alternative scene or whatever is minimal compared to other bands.

1 minute ago, maynard said:

Never in my post I compared GNR with The Replacements so I don't know why you brought this wall of text up.

I say they are overrated. Their influence is not that big and their importance to the alternative scene or whatever is minimal compared to other bands.

Lol. You're completely out of your element in this discussion. First you claimed nobody listens to the Replacements, now you're backpeddling w/ their influence not being significant.

They are highly influential to this day and to huge alt acts of the late 80s-90s as Len pointed out thoroughly. They have 4 or 5 albums that are consistently on best of the 80s lists/retrospectives. You're way off lol

23 minutes ago, Sosso said:

The real punks were the blues and country musicians from the 40's and 50's. 

I don't think they needed to be, in fact i think they'd find the term deeply offensive :lol:  They were something in and of themselves, they don't need to hang off someone elses tag.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't think they needed to be, in fact i think they'd find the term deeply offensive :lol:  They were something in and of themselves, they don't need to hang off someone elses tag.

“The real punks were the [original blues] guys who had to fight from the beginning to get accepted,” declared Malcolm, citing Bon Scott as more of a wild man than Johnny Rotten could ever be. 

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-05-07/let-there-be-rock-the-album-that-nearly-killed-ac-dc 

8 minutes ago, Sosso said:

“The real punks were the [original blues] guys who had to fight from the beginning to get accepted,” declared Malcolm, citing Bon Scott as more of a wild man than Johnny Rotten could ever be. 

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-05-07/let-there-be-rock-the-album-that-nearly-killed-ac-dc 

It suits Malcolm to say things like that because it ties him into the original blues guys in a convoluted sort of way.  The point I was making was that why would the blues guys want to hang off a label like punk, they were arguably something greater.  And as far as Bon being more of a wild man than John Rotten yeah but when was it ever argued that John was a wild man?  There's not a single example of wild man type antics in Johns history, John was a studious and intelligent type, he was hardly the coke snorting groupie shagging type.  Steve Jones would more fit that bill but John?  He never claimed or attempted or even particularly respected that sort of thing, he was positively boring in that regard.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not think you will find a people who understand the intricacies of the punk movement on a Guns N' Roses forum of all places Len haha - a people who can evaluate the correct level of snot whence sprayed across a union jack.

Really?  Guns isnt part of Punk lineage?  I mean I havent been listening to Bartok, Mozart and Schummer but I think I know a bit about punk :lol:

Well, I loved his solo music, (specially the first record) I liked the replacements although not as much, I loved both Riad and Going Down (I still hate him and Axl for.never playing it live) I also enjoy his vocals far more than Duff's, so I guess he's my favorite bassist from Guns N' Roses overall. Honestly I miss him in GN'R but as long as he is happy I'm cool with it, would love if he came back for a spot with Axl in a show, maybe to finally play Going Down or Riad.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Really?  Guns isnt part of Punk lineage?  I mean I havent been listening to Bartok, Mozart and Schummer but I think I know a bit about punk :lol:

Well to a degree. For about one week in 1985 maybe. I think most punks would have found Guns a bit ridiculous to be honest: too affiliated with rock star posturing and hair rock. Especially British punk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well to a degree. For about one week in 1985 maybe. I think most punks would have found Guns a bit ridiculous to be honest: too affiliated with rock star posturing and hair rock. Especially British punk.

Well said. That one week on 1985 is ultimately way we're all here - it was a good week.  Although, Id say, strictly musically speaking that the punk element remained right on through to that "punk" cover album?

Whats your take on The Clash?  To me they were punk the whole time, but punks have very specific rules - like 'how do you lace your boots?' strict - about at what point the Clash were no longer punk.  And if the clash were no longer punk, isn't that based on ascetic to the same degree as Guns not being punk influenced based solely on a having a hair band look?  Isnt it an ethos that mocks uniforms rather then requires them?